Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Have I broken mapshare?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Have I broken mapshare?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BACKHOJO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am having exact same issues. only bought my tomtom yesterday. what is wierd is that i get the same error message - ie 41wks and 26738 updates waiting. i also get the smae symptoms as everyone else has described.

in your home software main menu is there an icon to download mapshare updates. according to tomtom helpline today there shoudl be but i dont see it ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BACKHOJO wrote:
what is wierd is that i get the same error message - ie 41wks and 26738 updates waiting.

Don't worry about that. It's a rough estimate. It is the number of days multiplied by something like 93 to make it look like they know the real figure.

Quote:
in your home software main menu is there an icon to download mapshare updates. according to tomtom helpline today there shoudl be but i dont see it ?

Not a specific Mapshare icon, no. Get used to TT support talking b******s too!
When you select "Update my Go" from the main page bottom left, then mapshare corrections should be offered at the same time as the GPS Quickfix data and any software updates. Usually it takes a LONG time to find them!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sven1 wrote:
are we sure mapshare is up and running and its not a tt server prob?

Jon

Working for me at 12:46 today.
a444lad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if 3 of us are all having the same problems and it started yesterday and we have the same model the 920 then surely theres got to be something wrong with mapshare and not the way we have it set up?
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a444lad wrote:
if 3 of us are all having the same problems and it started yesterday and we have the same model the 920 then surely theres got to be something wrong with mapshare and not the way we have it set up?

I am now tending to agree as other are posting in less esteemed fora than this with a few just starting moaning today. before I attempt anything else drastic I'm going to give it a few days.

Jon
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

messed about a bit and no coutries showing in mapshare prefs now. i've seen this mentioned before in the context of TT server probs. i'm blaming them at the moment.

Jon
BACKHOJO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry - i should have said. i have the tomtom one V3 not the 920.
BACKHOJO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats weird. if i disconnect my device an new icon miraculously appears on the home menu. "get free mapshare updates" !!! as soon as i connect my device it disappears again. looks like the operator was not talking total Bol***ks !! so now what ?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BACKHOJO wrote:
thats weird. if i disconnect my device an new icon miraculously appears on the home menu. "get free mapshare updates" !!! as soon as i connect my device it disappears again. looks like the operator was not talking total Bol***ks !! so now what ?

That's always been there in Home2. Start up the software without the unit connected and you see the icon. But, if you click on it, the message is that you have to have your unit connected, etc. and, as you say, the icon doesn't appear.

So, it's more a reminder/advisory message in the software than a functional icon.
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for info mapshare is working the other way. just deleted a petrol station near me that no longer exists and it was submitted fine.
BACKHOJO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
BACKHOJO wrote:

That's always been there in Home2. Start up the software without the unit connected and you see the icon. But, if you click on it, the message is that you have to have your unit connected, etc. and, as you say, the icon doesn't appear.

So, it's more a reminder/advisory message in the software than a functional icon.

dont agree. if it is on the main menu then is should function as a button. i reckon version 8.01 is dodgy !!!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't shoot the messenger! Confused Confused

I'm not saying how things SHOULD be, only the way they ARE. And this icon is in Home; it's independent of the Navcore version since N7 on the unit still elicits that icon in Home.
BACKHOJO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what tomtom support have to say about this....

" have spoken to our 2 second line department about bout this and they have informed me that, that icon only comes up if your are not join to map share so I the icon on your TomTom device a all as they should be. I would like to apologize for that mistake."

looks like they need to take a course in spelling/grammar/typing as well !!
BACKHOJO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. i have just reset my device to factory settings. when i started it up i declined the offer to join mapshare. when i went into home the missing icon was there and stayed there when i connected. so i clicked it and all it did was to subscribe me to mapshare and then attempt to download mapshares. i still get the error message at the top of the screen. i dont think it has downloaded any share ? how do i know ?
anyhow - i am bored now !!1 life is too short. who needs mapshare anyway i am sure the map is much better than my old tomtom5 software on my PDA so i will live withour mapshare !
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good attitude! Thumbs Up
Sometimes we could ALL do with getting less hung up over these things (especially the seriously crappy "Home" program and its download system)

It's quite likely you'll find it suddenly bursts into life at some point, for no apparent reason.
That's happened to me before now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: