Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile Camera Site- Do they have to stop you there and then?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile Camera Site- Do they have to stop you there and then?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondgeezer1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Mobile Camera Site- Do they have to stop you there and then? Reply with quote

There was a 2 police officers in a Volvo estate with a handheld gun inside there car. I was doing probably 32 mph. It is unlikely I have got a ticket but would they have to stop you there and then and issue a ticket or do they have the power to send it in the post.

What's the crack?

P.S it's frustrating I'm even thinking I could have got a ticket, when it's a mobile site I submitted Laughing Out Loud!!
dcgh2007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The national guidance for speeding is 10% +1 so in a 30mph limit you wouldn't normally get "done" unless you were doing at least 34mph. However, if the police stuck to this figure the legal system would grind to a halt processing speeding fines, so most use a higher figure. I know of one that uses 11mph above the speed limit.

If it was a hand held gun that you passed then they would have stopped you there and then if you were going to be prosecuted. A camera is a different story - you get sent a Notice of Intended Prosecution through the post unless you were really flying and then you get a polite invitation to appear in court.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was doing probably 32 mph.

If your speedometer said 32 mph then you were probably only doing 29 mph or so. Speedos tend to over-read the speed (i.e. they indicate higher than you are actually doing)
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was doing probably 32 mph.

Quote:
If your speedometer said 32 mph

Probably? Or Read as 32mph?

With the guidelines of Limit + 10% + 2mph (35) and your speedo being up to 10% over, you could, possibly, have to see your speedo touching 38.5mph before a NIP is in order. I believe it has to arrive within fourteen days.

If it does then there's ways around it. In court you ask for the paperwork proving the guns calibration was checked before 'plod' left the station, a record HAS to be kept, then ask for proof the officer concerned is trained in using the gun.

If they can't provide both then you should be home and dry.

Have a browse in the Forums HERE to double check if what I've said is correct.

(Hope you like prison food Razz ).
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcgh2007 wrote:
If it was a hand held gun that you passed then they would have stopped you there and then if you were going to be prosecuted.

one of my brothers was 'done' with a hand held / mobile and he received his through the post.

must depend on man power and if the operator can get back into his car quick enough to pull out and pull you over...?

MaFt
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

must depend on man power and if the operator can get back into his car quick enough to pull out and pull you over...?

Sometimes, particularly if the officer is on foot with the speed gun in his hand or on a tripod, there will be a police car parked further down the road to pull you up.

Sal
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no requirement to serve you with an NIP at the scene. Whilst it is more common for Police operating hand held traps to speak to the driver there and then they are not obliged to.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
There is no requirement to serve you with an NIP at the scene. Whilst it is more common for Police operating hand held traps to speak to the driver there and then they are not obliged to.

And it is much better been made to look an inch tall by a Traffic Cop giving you a "talking too" than an inhuman machine telling you to cough up £60. At least they can use descretion when deciding to take it further or let you off with a telling off.

Bring more Traf Pol to the streets!!

Steve
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

And it is much better been made to look an inch tall by a Traffic Cop giving you a "talking too" than an inhuman machine telling you to cough up £60. At least they can use descretion when deciding to take it further or let you off with a telling off.

Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear Hear.
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
Darren wrote:

Steve

I go along with that,stand there and eat humble pie finish by shaking his hand and saying thank you is a lot better than points & a fine,thats what I did last month when stopped ended up by having a "go" with the gun never realised the distance it could be used [999.9 yds].

TomTom 520
Christmas Draw 2010 Grand Final Winner Garmin Nuvi 1490TV

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: