Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One (3rd Edition) Freezing Up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One (3rd Edition) Freezing Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
technics
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: TomTom One (3rd Edition) Freezing Up Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had my TT1 a couple of weeks and for the first few days it worked without a problem. Then it started to "Hang" . Initally it was on the start-up screen but after various "Fixes" offered by Tom Tom Support including formatting etc the unit starts and goes through the initial setup process until it gets to select voice. The unit hangs at this point whether I select a voice or cancel. I have tried repeating this with all voices removed but it still does the same.
My problem is the unit was not bought by me. The seller got it when purchasing a new car and as such there is nowhere to take the unit back to to exchange it. I received it new , boxed and sealed and as said it worked without fault for the first few days.
Tom Tom support have now passed this on to their second level support but after a week there is still no reply from them. TT Support tell me the department are rather busy with a backlog at the moment . I am obviously not the only TT1 (3rd Version) owner with a problem. !!
Can anyone advise re the problem or, how I stand re not having a receipt.
Thanks
Mike

Perhaps the first indication of a fault was when one of the six screen "Buttons" in a "Point of Interest" page changed to an icon bearing the words "Terminal 2 - Manchester Airport"
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a backup on the PC taken prior to this fault occuring? and when you say you have formatted the device did this involve a full format or just the removal of certain files? - Mike
technics
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike
I did a back-up when my TT1 was first connected but TomTom Support told me to do another one after the fault was found. Does this mean the good back-up was replaced by the corrupted one?
The format I did involved copying three folders to my PC (map. Voice and Zip folders. Then doing a format before replacing the three folders back into the TT1. Then connecting to TomTom Home and updating application. This seems to work until it gets to the select voice screen when it hangs,
Do you have any ideas what the problem could be.
Thanks
Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technics wrote:
Hi Mike
I did a back-up when my TT1 was first connected but TomTom Support told me to do another one after the fault was found. Does this mean the good back-up was replaced by the corrupted one?
Mike

If you used TomTom Home (v2) to make the backups then unfortunately, YES the new backup will have overwritten the last one.
This appallingly stupid idea is one of the reasons we always say USE WINDOWS EXPLORER TO MAKE THE BACKUPS. You can then make and save as many as you like.

Sounds like you have got a corrupted file somewhere, maybe in the voice folder. But if your only backup has the corruption too, that's no help anymore.

You COULD try connecting to Home and removing ALL the voices and then getting home to add them again?
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom One (3rd Edition) Freezing Up Reply with quote

technics wrote:
Perhaps the first indication of a fault was when one of the six screen "Buttons" in a "Point of Interest" page changed to an icon bearing the words "Terminal 2 - Manchester Airport"

I suspect this may be a red herring - Some of the POI icons are used to show recently visited destinations.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom One (3rd Edition) Freezing Up Reply with quote

technics wrote:

Perfectly normal behaviour... The last POI visited (or selected) is always shown in that position.
technics
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. TomTom Support called me today and must have spent an hour or more talking me through deleting maps, folders, files etc Then new maps, folders ,files etc and eventually it started up without hanging.
I have deleted the old "Corrupted" backup and replaced it with a new one on Tom Tom Home. Taking your advice I have copied and pasted the entire contents of the Tom Tom (Maps, Folders and files etc) to a folder on my PC. Can I assume that if I get a problem again, I can format the TomTom One and copy these files folders and maps back in to it ? Could you confirm this is the correct way to do a restore without using TomTom Home?

Thanks again for your help.
Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of the FAQ page that can be located by clicking Here FAQ #1 deals with backing up the device using Windows Explorer.

Once you have this vital backup on the PC you can format the device and copy the files back to it which will get you up and running again - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I suggest that if you need to restore (especially if you are restoring onto an SD card) that you first try just DELETING everything off the card and then pasting the entire contents of your backup back onto it. That will usually do the trick, unless there is something seriously wrong with the card.

Lots of people seem to get into problems when they try to FORMAT their SD card. It has always worked fine for me, but it's a subject that crops up time and time again on the forums. There are also specific formatting programs for use with SD cards (HERE is one from Panasonic).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: