Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile Radar/ Lazer Detector
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile Radar/ Lazer Detector

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quam256
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Mobile Radar/ Lazer Detector Reply with quote

Hi All
I have a Tomtom that gives me all the data that I need on fixed cameras ,but am looking for a detector for mobile sites.Because of a very tight budget £60 I have been looking and am getting even more confused .Any advice on what to look for and were would be appreciated.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no addons for TomToms to to this so you'd need a dedicated Laser Detector.

Why not consider subscribing to the PGPSW website and using the PGPSW Speed Camera Database. This thread covers the benefits in detail. At £19 a year you have 3 years of subs already.

Bear in mind Laser Detectors are prone to false alarms and by the time the detector has detected the laser you've been caught anyway....
quam256
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have camera updates from Tomtom ,but will be changing to your sytem in the near future. Very Happy What I was looking for was a seperate unit .
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, i mis-read the first part of your post.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laser detectors don't work and radar detectors work only on radar operated cameras which are rarely mobiles.

Both radar and laser devices will shortly become illegal anyway.
quam256
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies .
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to enlarge a bit on why laser detectors don't work. A laser gun takes approximately one third of a second to target you and calculate your speed. Most people's reaction time is on par or slower than this, so the chances of slowing down to not get 'caught' are zero.
Bear in mind that the PGPSW database contains loads of possible mobile sites where mobi;les might be.
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talex or its derivative from aldi is a seperate unit which detects all poss mobile sites, if updated , if you want a stand alone unit. I would stick with the camera data base here for the price.

I thought the use of laser detectors was already illegal?

edit mistake
silverblack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If laser detectors are useless why are they making them illegal ?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people have better results than others with them, however this is the why...

Quote:
Department for Transport - Road Safety Bill 2004 note 2: Speeding "Safety Cameras form an integral part of a successful road safety strategy, strict rules govern the positioning of cameras to ensure that they are sited only where there is a demonstrable risk and danger to road users. There is overwhelming evidence from both UK and international literature that speeding results in more collisions and more severe casualties. Furthermore the evidence from the independent review of the safety camera programme by University College London and PA Consulting found that cameras significantly reduced the number of people killed or seriously injured at camera sites.

The Government believes that devices which interfere with or detect the proper functioning of such cameras have only one purpose: to tell drivers when they can break speed limits and get away with it. This is unacceptable. It prevents the police from carrying out their duties, and is a danger to other law-abiding road users.

The Government will not be prohibiting those devices that rely on Global Positioning System (GPS) technology to warn drivers of published camera sites or posted speed limits, as these compliment the Government's policy to ensure that camera sites are visible and conspicuous to drivers, and so help deter excessive and inappropriate speeds on the roads."

So, as i read that, it's OK to have a printed list of camera sites or have a GPS system with camera locations BUT it's not OK to have a device that can actively detect an active camera.

The difference being that they seem to be happy for you to know where the cameras are (or might be with regards to Mobiles) but they don't want you to know which are active and which aren't.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: