Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Share have i missed the point ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Share have i missed the point ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KerrAvon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Map Share have i missed the point ? Reply with quote

Hi

Have i missed the point? there is a road near me that has a missing section only about 100 yards long from the map ( 520 running uptodate map) so i told it about the missing bit joined the two dead ends back up and then used home to upload thinking that at least my unit would use this update and others would be able to when it got validated but my unit still thinks there are two dead ends and a hole in the middle .... anyone any ideas?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have NOT missed the point. One of the mapshare changes that is only reportable is the addition (or deletion) of a road or part of a road. In other words, any changes on the second screen. The hope for those changes is that the correction will get implemented in a future map.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often discussed before...

The reality of Map Share is nothing like the marketing hype would lead you to believe... They don't actually lie about what it can do in their adverts, but it's close...

When MapShare first came out, the ONLY things that got implemented immediately were the things on the first page of options, i.e. block a road in one or both directions, rename a road and add or edit a POI. That's it!

These would show up on your machine straight away and would be uploaded and shared via Mapshare, but EVERYTHING else was simply an easy way to REPORT things back to TomTom (and they weren't even passed onto TeleAtlas!)

V8 software and maps have added two more "immediate" corrections - "cannot turn left/right into", and "correct speed limit" can now be implemented and shared straight away.

Unfortunately, anything that would require a RE-DRAW of the actual map data, such as adding roads, roundabouts or junctions, is still only reported for future maps, (but at least the info will now be passed on to TeleAtlas now TomTom have bought the company).
KerrAvon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i am giving them the info to make the next map that they will then sell back to me ..... Laughing Out Loud

cheers lads
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it! Clever eh? Very Happy
jaybeblue
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 years ago I reported a roundabout that didn't exist (Navigator 5). I thought they'd corrected the map as when I got my Rider 2 the roundabout had been removed.

However, when I recently bought a 730 T the non-existent roundabout had returned!

TT have corrected one error I reported. TT no longer tries to take my car down a rough farm track with a locked gate at each end!

I'd like to be able to check a new map in detail before buying it from TT. I'd like to see what map errors have been corrected, which have been put back in and what new roads have been added before parting with my cash.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaybeblue wrote:
I'd like to be able to check a new map in detail before buying it from TT. I'd like to see what map errors have been corrected, which have been put back in and what new roads have been added before parting with my cash.

Google maps use the same data source as tomtom so are a good guide.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaybeblue wrote:
when I got my Rider 2 the roundabout had been removed.

However, when I recently bought a 730 T the non-existent roundabout had returned!

If I remember correctly, the Rider used Navteq mapping (TomTom tried them briefly, possibly just to put the "frighteners" on TeleAtlas and improve their bargaining power!)

So that's why it was right on the Rider and STILL not right on the 730.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: