Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go 730 compared to Go 700. Poor!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go 730 compared to Go 700. Poor!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddie101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go 730 compared to Go 700. Poor! Reply with quote

My 700 was stolen. So, i chose a nice new 730 to replace it.

Nice software tweaks. But what's happened to the design quality??

The Go 700 speaker gave a rich, lustrous almost hi-fi sound. The 730 sounds like a 1970s made-in-taiwan speakerphone. It's awful!! 3 out of 10. Rolling Eyes

No case provided. OK I can live with that. Right, let's swap the cradle with my hard wired mount. Ah. No wired mount. OK, It was cheaper than the 700, so I'll go and buy one.

What! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes No such product!!! I have to connect the power and the mic manually EVERY time?????? Grrr! And if I want to improve on the miserable sound quality by using a line-out connection, that'll be one more. Come on TomTom - make a car kit!

Well the software is an improvement. Though some things are irritating. Why is Update traffic buried in the third page of the menu? Can't even add it to the quick menu.

And what's this thing with reading the road numbers out? "Turn onto B four thousand four hundred and forty four.." FFS What!!??? Come on TomTom. No-one in the UK reads out road numbers like that, not even on the BBC. It's "B four four four four".

Also there's TOO much voice prompting on the 730. I find myself going "yes, yes I know, you just told me" in the car. Smile Laughing
One feature I've always thought would be great for all sat navs is a switch to turn off voice prompts within a certain radius of the home location. That would be so very very useful!!

Bluetooth. Well, I managed to get it to connect to my Nokia e61i just fine. Trying to get the music to connect to my Pioneer P700BT head unit (I has bluetooth music in) didn't work. Tried it from the main bluetooth menu, search devices. It found my nokia phone again.
Oh no!! i knew what was coming next. Do you want to connect to Nokia? Yes / No. Where's the ignore option!!!!! Well, I was right. Selecting No drops my phone completely. Selecting yes takes me through the setup again. Annoying!!!!
In the end I turned my phone off to try and get the head unit connected, but no joy yet. Oh, and now the e61i connection won't come back. Rolling Eyes

Just thought I'd share my experiences so far on the upgrade trail.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Go 730 compared to Go 700. Poor! Reply with quote

eddie101 wrote:
The Go 700 speaker gave a rich, lustrous almost hi-fi sound. The 730 sounds like a 1970s made-in-taiwan speakerphone. It's awful!! 3 out of 10. Rolling Eyes

Yup, thinner case, less room = smaller speaker
Quote:
No case provided. OK I can live with that. Right, let's swap the cradle with my hard wired mount. Ah. No wired mount. OK, It was cheaper than the 700, so I'll go and buy one.

What! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes No such product!!! I have to connect the power and the mic manually EVERY time?????? Grrr! And if I want to improve on the miserable sound quality by using a line-out connection, that'll be one more. Come on TomTom - make a car kit!

TomTom are following a policy that does not encourage hard wiring for security reasons. They would prefer you take it with you. A commendable idea if power was the only plug you had to connect/disconnect. Not so clever when you have power, TMC, Audio/Out etc! I use a Carcomm Carkit with my 720 and it works very well.
Quote:
Well the software is an improvement. Though some things are irritating. Why is Update traffic buried in the third page of the menu? Can't even add it to the quick menu.

I completely agree! It should be accessible by tapping the traffic ribbon.
Quote:
Also there's TOO much voice prompting on the 730. I find myself going "yes, yes I know, you just told me" in the car. Smile Laughing

Look in speech preferences - 'Disable early warning instructions'
eddie101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom Go 730 compared to Go 700. Poor! Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

TomTom are following a policy that does not encourage hard wiring for security reasons. They would prefer you take it with you. A commendable idea if power was the only plug you had to connect/disconnect. Not so clever when you have power, TMC, Audio/Out etc! I use a Carcomm Carkit with my 720 and it works very well.

Thanks Darren! They have a specific one in development
Link to Carcomm page for x30

Darren wrote:
Look in speech preferences - 'Disable early warning instructions'

Thanks again! I'll try that.

The phone paired up again this morning, so I guess maybe their servers were busy or down or something? I recall having that before.

Re the smaller speaker - True, the case is smaller, but not that small so doesn't excuse TomTom really. My Nokia's speakerphone has better quality sound, and its speaker is smaller than a pea. Smile

It's this really that set the mood when I was typing the OP. The sound qual really is very, very disappointing. I was pretty gutted TBH. Could mine be faulty perhaps?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst the speaker isn't quite as HiFi as my 700 or 910's were I don't find it that bad.

If yours is crackling or distorted then are you using it on battery power? I ask as there is a known bug were sound becomes distorted when battery level is low and no external power is present.
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the speaker on my 920 was rubbish but its just the sound of the computer voices. using a different voice it sounds fine.
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just sold my Garmin 760T because the sound was poor & the phone calls through the unit were terrible so I brought the 730T to replace it.

I have to disagree & say that the TT 730's sound is very good & both Computer Kate's voice & the bluetooth sound is very good as well with no distortion as far as I can hear. This unit is so much better that my last one, apart from the screen on the Garmin was brighter but that's about it, I can't fault it with regards to following the road instructions & the lane assistance is great & not the gimmick I thought it would be.

It's miles ahead of anything else I have used or seen.

Nice one TT
LT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use the FM transmitter to send the sound to the car stereo, can you not? Therefore, surely the sound can be as good as you want to make it in terms of how good the speakers are in your car.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LT wrote:
You can also use the FM transmitter to send the sound to the car stereo, can you not? Therefore, surely the sound can be as good as you want to make it in terms of how good the speakers are in your car.

This is possible however depending upon where you live it can be a real pain to work properly as finding a frequency devoid of any other transmission can be difficult. In Lancashire I don't get a problem, in London and Birmingham the FM Tx is useless.
In the end I purchased a Bluetooth A2DP enabled car stereo and use that for very high quality audio from the TomTom through the car system, this never gets interference and is consdierably better than the FM Tx sound quality - Mike
LT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Lancashire too, and soon I'll be going to Ireland via Scotland, so I dare say I'll be ok!

Thanks for the heads up regarding busy places, it could mean a loss of service if I didn't prepare.

I had the Go 510 before the 730T and a Garmin Streetpilot i3 before that, so I can't complain about the speaker anyway!

What frequency do you transmit it on then, as a matter of interest? I've set mine to 105.0

I suppose you could always refer to this in preparation for where you're going so you don't clash? :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_radio_stations_in_the_United_Kingdom
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

106,3 works fine around most of Lancashire, when I drop into Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and Staffordshire I tend to switch to 107,0 which I have stored in the Go as a preferred frequency and in the cars radio if I am running a Hire car (which I often do through work)
The further North you go the less of a problem you encounter, on trips to Kinloss I keep 106,3 locked in all the way with no noticable problems - Mike
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi eddie101, on the sound issue, can I tell you about my old TomTom Classic?
I had used it for a few years in my Opel Astra and was very happy with the sound quality.
My company sent me away on a course for a week and they let me take a company car which was a Mondeo Estate.
I had a few problems getting my mount positioned on the window as the screen is very long and sloping, but I managed to get it mounted within reach.
When I set off driving, I thought that I was in a cinema with surround sound!
The shape of the windscreen had changed the sound quality by 100% (if that's possible).
It was such a disappointment when I had to put it back in my own car after a week.

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I completely agree! It should be accessible by tapping the traffic ribbon.

But it is accessible from tapping the right hand traffic ribbon. Am I missing something?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: