Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to increase demo speed? [S30]
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to increase demo speed? [S30]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
movilogo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: How to increase demo speed? [S30] Reply with quote

In the Navman S30, when I try to preview a route it moves over the route quite slowly [~30 mph speed]. Is there any way to increase the demo travel speed?

Embarassed
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How to increase demo speed? [S30] Reply with quote

movilogo wrote:
Is there any way to increase the demo travel speed?

Maybe if you change settings file but not sure, haven't tried it myself.

If you want to try AND you know how to edit XML files, find "default_settings.xml" on your device. Open it with XML editor -- inside you'll find these settings (had to remove XML tags as forum software thinks that I'm trying to submit HTML):
Code:

property name="demo speed limit shared zone" value="6"
  property name="demo speed limit urban" value="14"
  property name="demo speed limit rural" value="22"
  property name="demo speed limit motorway" value="34"

Judging from the name, this file should not be modified. It looks like that modified settings are actually copied into another file -- "user_settings.xml". So, make a backup copy of "user_settings.xml" first then copy into it above four "demo speed limit" settings from "default_settings.xml" and try adjusting them.

If that doesn't work restore "user_settings.xml" from backup copy, make backup copy of "default_settings.xml" file and try the same changes. If that doesn't work either, restore "default_settings.xml" from backup copy and give up. Smile
movilogo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rang Navman tech support and they said it is not possible to change the demo speed.

Although what you said, might be actually possible. I might give it a try though. Wink
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But TheM must work for Navman, he always has so much useful, yet unpublished info to offer.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
But TheM must work for Navman, he always has so much useful, yet unpublished info to offer.

Are you saying you can't read XML files? Most even contain comments!
movilogo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what TheM said. Most probably it could be done, but I'm bit worried to do it as tampering with system will invalidate the warranty.

May be I'll give it a try when the unit becomes bit old Wink

Also, the voice guidance might depend on the speed of the vehicle during demo mode. So, not sure whether it is going to conflict with other settings.

Just wondering whether it is possible in other Sat Navs - Tomtom, Garmin etc.?
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

movilogo wrote:
I'm bit worried to do it as tampering with system will invalidate the warranty.

Back up your unit through Navman's PC software before you do anything. Navman's PC software can restore the unit to the original condition (as long as WinCE is not damaged).
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheM - No need to get personal
Quote:
Are you saying you can't read XML files? Most even contain comments!

My point relates to a lot of your posts were you have provided very useful information about Navman products. This information is always correct, and not always obvious

Are you prepared to state categorically that you do not or have never had information about Navman products that is unavailable to the general public?
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
Are you prepared to state categorically that you do not or have never had information about Navman products that is unavailable to the general public?

?

People on "Navman Unlocked" obviously have tons of information that Navman never made public. The point I was trying to make with XML comment is that you can easily obtain yourself a lot of information about many different products just by taking time to examine the product more carefully than average user does. And if you earn your living as, I don't know, maybe Embedded Software Engineer or WinCE Developer, you'll have a lot more knowledge than average user, and also some very interesting tools at your disposal. It all comes down to how you want to spend your free time.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did not answer the question...
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't I? Confused
memoryweaver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: It worked! Reply with quote

Changing the settings worked, -- you need to copy and paste the settings from the file mentioned into the user_settings.xml file (backing it up first).

I then upped the demo speed values to 250 -- now demo accelerates up to 300 odd mph -- excellent. It even seems to be intelligent, slowing down for junctions, etc.

Hunting about in the default settings file reveals a few other things that you can tinker with including turning on lattitude/longitude display, adding a 'next turn' display to the 3d-map - 2d map - directions cycle, and tweaking route preferences.
movilogo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked for me as well Very Happy

What other settings you can tweak? How do you display turning on lat/long?

Also, is there any way to display ETA/DTG for last destination instead of first way point?
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

movilogo wrote:
Also, is there any way to display ETA/DTG for last destination instead of first way point?

If by "last destination" you mean for the whole trip, than yes it is -- if you have a route calculated for multi stop trip, tap on map to open menu, select Route and then Show Summary, you will get ETA and distance for the whole trip.
memoryweaver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

movilogo wrote:

What other settings you can tweak? How do you display turning on lat/long?

Basically anything in the default settings xml file can be copied to the user settings xml file, and set to true / false or a number. Haven't got the device with me right now, but one of them said something like display_lat_long. Looks like you can set the 'u-turn' sensitivity as well, though I wouldn't touch that unless it's really not working for you.

Anyone got a default settings file from an s90i to compare? Sometimes 'features' can be turned on for lesser devices if you just know the right words for the settings file -- seeing a s90i file would be very useful...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: