Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 6 Favourite places
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 6 Favourite places

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pchristy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Navigator 6 Favourite places Reply with quote

Does anyone know where Navigator 6 saves favourite places? And is it possible to copy these from one map set to another (ie from UK to Western Europe)?

Also, does anyone know if its possible to download TomTom maps *without* using "Home"? All my computers run Linux, and TomTom helpfully tell me that "Home" is not compatible with Linux, but offer no alternatives!!! They have taken my money, though!

It is this kind of attitude that encourages piracy.....!!!

--
Pete
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favourites are saved in mapsettings.cfg. This is located in the map folder and should not be copied to a different map.

We always advise that favourites are used only for temp locations. Long term locations should be saved in a custom POI group which can easily be copied, shared or backed up.

All maps now require HOME for installation. Lack of support for an OS is hardly justification for piracy. Surely you must have access to a PC somewhere? It is a pity that no Linux solution is available but that's not just a TomTom issue. I'm on Mac and few provide solutions for Mac but none offer Linux.
pchristy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Darren,

Thanks for that! I backed up the old .cfg file and copied the UK one over, and so far, it seems to be working fine!

TomTom's website is VERY unclear. It suggests that Home is the preferred way of installing maps, but implies that they can still be downloaded as a file without having to use Home. I only discovered that this wasn't possible AFTER they'd taken my money! I'm now in the position of having to try and get it back off them!

I have to say that this isn't the first time I've found their support to be lacking. Some years back I had a Navigator 3 - which was fine, until you had to deal with TomTom! It was an absolute nightmare, and I swore I would never have anything to do with their products ever again! I must have had a "momentary lapse of reason" to get a Navigator again!

I have access to a windows PC at work, but for security reasons, its not connected to the internet. My home connection is a fast one (this is a 1GB file), but I don't have windows on any of my machines at home. And I'm certainly not about to buy it just to download a few maps!

BTW, I wasn't suggesting that lack of support for Linux was justification for piracy. But abysmal after sales service might be. And that is what I have consistently received from TomTom! When its easier to get a hacked version than the real thing - even when you've paid up front - then you have to question whether their download policy is helping or hindering the situation!

--
Pete
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear mapsettings.cfg workd, I thought that it was map dependent but if it's working then clearly not! Still better to convert them to a custom POI at some point though.

TomToms insistence on the use of HOME is a maddening both because it's an appalling bug ridden app and because it excludes users such as yourself who don't use Windows or Mac.

As you've already paid, all I can suggest is you either find a friends who can help or ask TomTom for a refund. They no longer offer their maps on CD/DVD, another short sighted decision IMHO.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: