Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help with reinstalling software and Content Manager
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with reinstalling software and Content Manager

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberdude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Help with reinstalling software and Content Manager Reply with quote

Hi - Hoping you can help.

My dad is having trouble reinstalling his software from the DVD. In his frustration he returned to the store with the device and software saying it's faulty so they installed the software on a PC in store and it all worked so the problem is on his PC.

We've tried uninstalling the software on his PC then reinstalling but the installer just gives the options to Add, Repair or Remove. Going down the repair route jumps from step 1 to step 7 and says everything is installed. However there is no Content Manager installed. There is just a dead short cut under the start programs menus. Also uninstalling the software doesn't remove the software title from the Add/Remove programs list in XP so something is really messed up.

The device connects with activesync no problem, we can browse the file system of the device through activesync. It's just that we cannot get Content Manager installed.

Any ideas on how we can do a completely fresh installation of the software? I've tried to find a list of registry entries and files added during the install process but haven't been able to.

He's running XPSP2.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you try uninstalling by using "Add/Remove Programs"?

(NB not that it affected me, but the VM installation advice mentions various items you should clear before installation, to ensure a troublefree one - did you follow this guidance (it's in the User Manual on the website?)
cyberdude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if my dad cleared the various items before installing as I wasn't present but I assume he did follow the instructions. We did try removing the software using the Add/Remove programs but it still doesn't remove the software properly.

He has now contacted VM support but is till waiting a response.

Do you know if installing the VM software writes anything to the SD card on the device? Is there a way of setting the SD card back to factory settings?
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get Content Manager running you can restore the SD from that.

Not much help I know Crying or Very sad

I don't think you can do anything from the DVD.

I backed up my SD before I used it, did he?

I've had to reinstall a couple of times and I've not had a problem. I'll rack my brains, if anything useful falls out I'll post again.

Sorry not able to be more help.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note (now!) you said your dad had trouble RE-installing the VM software. Why did he do this - was it ok on the first installation; or was this actually the original installation that went wrong? The reason I ask is because it is fairly easy, if you are unlucky, to screw up the relationship between the PC and the satnav - see thread

Quote:
Locked Out of a X980T newedition

You will also see that this user got a very helpful response from VM back in April - hopefully they still have people who will assist.

So a couple more suggestions you might consider:

- go back to the store again, especially if it is still within a "return if you change your mind" period, and say it might work on their PC but it is not compatible with your dad's for some reason;

- install the VM system on your PC temporarily (if it's XP) so that your dad at least has some backup - in case his SD card gets corrupted in the future. If that is successful, then you could restore the SD card if necessary;

- if you have an SD card reader (eg a USB one) you could perhaps make a copy of the SD using that, assuming the SD card is ok at present, ie the satnav itself is working ok.
cyberdude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@SpikeyMikey
Unfortunately he didn't back up his SD card.

@BigPerk
He had it all working perfectly when he first installed it and it worked for 6 months. He then tried to set it up that when he plugged the usb cable in that it would only charge and not sync. This is when he messed things up. He didn't realise activesync took care of that.

The satnav is working fine it's only that he can't get the software installed. I looked at the thread you mentioned and it seems that the device needs to be returned to the manufacturer to repair.

Before doing that we'll try installing it on my PC and see if we can reset the SD card.

Thanks for your help so far.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cyberdude ("oh no, not him again!" I hear you cry), but I've just had another thought. In another topic today someone had a problem with Content Manager which, though installed, was not recognising his unit any more - he reinstalled Microsoft ActiveSynch 4.5 and all was well again.

It made me think that just maybe, your dad corrupted AS or upset the settings in his attempts to get the unit connected 'charging-only'. Purely as a hypothetical thought, if that were the case then Content Manager might not install as AS (which it needs) doesn't seem to be there - or at least doesn't respond properly - when the installation process checks for it.

So it MAY be that uninstalling/reinstalling AS 4.5 and THEN carrying out the complete VM re-installation again could resolve the problem. Might be worth a try before you pack the unit off to Scotland.

Anyway, I'll leave you in peace now!
cyberdude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry. I welcome any suggestions. We already removed AS4.2 and installed AS4.5. We got the device partnered with the PC and we can browse the device SD card through AS so I believe the AS part is all working correctly.

I won't be seeing my dad for a couple of days so won't get to try installing his software on my PC to see if we can reset his card - after backing it up of course.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: