Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Favourites as POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Favourites as POIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Favourites as POIs Reply with quote

Could somebody please point me to the post concerning storing Favourites as POIs?
I remember seeing it previously but now cannot find it even using the search.
Could this also be added to the "Sticky FAQ's"? I'm sure it probably gets asked often enough.

Ta!

.....Ken

TT940 Live TTG920T, TTG700, TTG Classic, Nuvi1410
bensonboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=65016&highlight=favourites+pois

Is this it, it's fairly simple to do.
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks bensonboo - exactly what I wanted.
Have now transferred all my Favourites to POIs - much better.
Just noticed something I've never noticed before though.
When I do "Navigate to - POI near you" it shows all my POIs in order of Mileage. But when I select one it calculates the route but always adds some additional mileage! For instance 8 miles on the list will become 12 miles, 38 miles becomes 43 miles etc.
Not that I'm bothered about it, as long as it gets me there I'm happy and it does that very well.
Just curious to know if anybody else gets this behaviour?
This is on a 920T by the way.

.....Ken

TT940 Live TTG920T, TTG700, TTG Classic, Nuvi1410
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The POI list shows the distance as the crow flies. It can't show the mileage by road until the destination's been selected and the route calculated.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, veering wildly off-topic....Why crows?
Are they known to fly straighter than any other birds? Confused
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Why crows?
Are they known to fly straighter than any other birds? Confused

Continuing off-topic (you started it, but we're both bound to get into trouble Smile

Apparently the phrase can be traced back as far as 1800. I found two possible derivations, one more plausible than the other (and note that one of the answers includes the word satellite, to keep it vaguely on topic) ....

1. British coastal vessels customarily carried a cage of crows. These birds hate wide expanses of water and head, "as straight as the crow flies," to the nearest land when released at sea. This was useful to vessels lost in foggy coastal weather before the days of radar. The lookout perch on sailing vessels became known as the crow’s nest.

2. This month's article deals with the origins of the colloquialisms "how long is a piece of string?" and "as the crow flies." The origins of both these phrases are tied up together. They derive from old practices in the field of cartography, and both are now somewhat outdated. Crows are free to fly wherever they wish these days, but things were very different when cartographers were first attempting to accurately measure the distances between two places.

In the days before satellite imaging, it was tremendously difficult to measure distances of anything more than ump hundred metres (or yards as it would have been then.) To measure any greater distance, cartographers developed a method whereby one end of a piece of string was fed to a crow, and after time (and the piece of string) passed, the ends would be tied down at the points to be measured between.

The crow would then be forced to fly along the length of the string to the other point, thus providing a measurable straight line between the points, hence the original expression, "as the crow flies along the length of a piece of string tied between two points." This unwieldy phrase was soon shortened to pretty much the forms we know today, for more individual use: "How long is a piece of string?" asks us what the distance is between the two points, the answer being the distance "as the crow flies."

This background also provides the origins of the development of such man made fibres as nylon. Early efforts to pass a piece of string through a crow resulted in disaster as, of course, the crow digested the cord, but with advances in textile technology, the advent of artificial fibres meant that a piece of string could be introduced to the crow's digestive tract without it being destroyed.

The cartographers very soon realised that the crows were entirely superfluous to requirements, but they continued to use them as they'd developed into a tradition. Well, that's cartographers for you.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank you! Thumbs Up

Back on topic now.... Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: