Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Data transfer?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Data transfer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailingSRB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Data transfer? Reply with quote

Hi
I have a Garmin 152 (no datacard slot) mono installed on my boat. I also have a Bluechart Data Card of the English Channel. Is there anyway I can upload all or some of the data from the card onto the 152, via some sort of connector, or, can I upload info from the card onto my PC (no Garmin software on it)?
Or will the cables currently on the back of my 152 be suitable or universal for connecting to say a Garmin 178 which has the card slot?
What are my options please.
Cheers
SailingSRB
UK Waters
SailingSRB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me again!
Just had a thought. Could I add on a 178 as a repeater unit to my current system?
Cheers
Frabble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Bluechart data card is for use in a suitable unit, so no, you can't transfer the map data to the 152 or upload it to view on a PC.

You can connect the 152 and 178, NMEA out to NMEA in, to transfer navigational data. Is that what you mean by a repeater?

Even though discontinued, the 178 seems a higher spec than the 152, why not just use the 178?
SailingSRB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 152 on board at the moment but this doesn't give much chart detail. I don't have a 178 but suggested this as I have had one before, which I could insert my Bluechart Datacard into. I still have the Bluechart datacard but no way of seeing its contents anymore. So, could I connect a 178 in line with the 152, so I could keep the 152 in the cabin and have the 178 in the cockpit using the Datacard for more detail. I know the 178 is discontinued but I was using that as an example. Would I need different cabling to connect the two or would I have to replace the 152 and its cabling completely and buy a whole new receiver? Otherwise I am stuck with the 152 and a Datacard that I can't use. Unless anyone out there wants to buy the datacard off me and I'll stick with the 152? Hope that all makes sense. Cheers.
Frabble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you could connect a 178 to the 152. One would be the active GPS while the other would just display the data and/or be used as a backup.

I would need to know the details if different cabling is required. The units you mention use different multi way connectors so that would have to change. If you intend using a unit with external transducers then you would need to run a line for those. If the 152 will be used as a GPS then it will need an external antenna feed.
Ultimately, how it hangs together will also depend on what other devices you have connected.

Simplest thing if you want the chart detail is just to replace the 152.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: