Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin C320 Streetpilot no notification of safety cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin C320 Streetpilot no notification of safety cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kharrap
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Garmin C320 Streetpilot no notification of safety cameras Reply with quote

I downloaded the POI data unzipped the file and then loaded it to my Garmin c320 Streetpilot using Garmin's POI Loader. When "Custom POIs" are selected on the unit they all display correctly, the proximity alarm is set =ON however, regardless of whether the Garmin unit is on the "View Map" setting or when travelling to a specified location the alarm notifications do not activate either visually or in audio. Interestingly when I was recently in Australia I loaded the unit with POI data from www.gps-data-team.com and the unit worked as expected for both speed and redlight cameras so I am inclined to believe it is somehow related to the data format. Any suggestions as to what is the problem and more importantly, the solution would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Ken Harrap
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

First of all where you over the speed limit when approaching any of these cameras? The default setting for many Garmin units is not to alert unless you are over the posted speed limit.

Can you confirm which database type you downloaded (Single File, Speed Zoned or Consolidated).

Can you confirm your Firmware version and the version of POILoader you are using.

Also can you give us a route that you travelled where no alerts occured - no need to be specific about start and end point, just a general route will do.
kharrap
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Garmin c320 Streetpilot no notification of safety cameras Reply with quote

I downloaded the single file In British Columbia almost all the cameras are intersection red light cameras with only a handful of mobile speed cameras. I am using the POI Loader version 2.3.2.0 the route that I was travelling was from South Surrey on Highway 99, over the Oak Street bridge and North on Oak street in Vancouver to downtown and returning South on Granville Street, Vancouver, on this route you pass red light cameras on both Oak street and Granville street. The posted limit on both streets is 50 Km and I was travelling at 60 Km. I hope this helps and that I responded using the correct response format and that I answered all your questions.
Ken Harrap
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - that's great.

Can you try reloading the database with the latest version of POILoader (2.5.2) which is available for download here

BTW do the icons appear on the screen at all?
kharrap
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Garmin c320 Streetpilot no notification of safety cameras Reply with quote

I have downloaded the latest POI loader and reloaded the POI database to my streetpilot using this POI loader. I will drive into White Rock later where I know there is a redlight camera on 152 Street and 24th Avenue. Should the camera show up regardless of whether I have it set on "View Map" or do I have to be driving to a specified location? Also I am not sure what you meant by BTW when you asked about the icons. When driving past a redlight camera that is in the database nothing shows up visually either on the route map or on the data line above or below the route map. If I select "my Locations" and then select "Custom POIs" then select a redlight camera location followed by "Show Map" it shows a map of the location,where the camera is it shows a black square surrounded by a white border, just the same as when you look up a stored location address, in addition in " " marks it shows the address for example "152 Street at 24 Ave Surrey" I hope this answers your question, I will let you know the results of using the latest POI loaded data later today. Thanks for all your help.
Ken Harrap
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry BTW = By The Way....

Quote:
If I select "my Locations" and then select "Custom POIs" then select a redlight camera location followed by "Show Map" it shows a map of the location,where the camera is it shows a black square surrounded by a white border

Can you post a screen shot?

Can you access the internal memory on the unit? If so, can you check the POI folder and see if there is a 0Kb POI.GPI file there?

I believe this is problem that has been reported by a couple of others. Try using Ash10 Camera Manager to convert the database to GPX format. The details are in this thread
kharrap
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know how to pick up and post a screen shot, if you could tell me how and also which screens you want me to send I will be pleased to do it. I checked the files on the Garmin SD card, there are 2, the gmap suppoort image file and the POI.GPI file which is 11.8 kb I installed the camera manager and went through the steps up to and including running the POI Loader. When I ran POI loader it got to the point where it would copy the files to the SD card at which point it froze, I tried a couple of times with the same result, I used Windows Task Manager (I am running Windows XP Professional) and each time it showed that POI Loader was not responding. I checked the folder that it was loading the data from and I found that in addition to the Canadian database that I had originally downloaded, the camera manager had downloaded the UK database. It was only after I deleted all the files for the UK that the POI Loader would run successfully. I suspect that perhaps it had to do with the format being .GPX instead of .CSV
Perhaps you could tell me if I should remove Camera Manager or whether it can be configured to pick up .CSV format files and of course to be able to select the applicable country and file.
Thanks
Ken Harrap
missing_user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To take a screenshot try:-
http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=545

To post the screenshot you will have to host it on a website such as:-
http://www.imageshack.us/

then post in your reply as an URL!

The .gpx database is available for selection on the website, and on my PC using the .gpx file I see:-

I use 'speed zoned' here in the uk but do not have your maps loaded on the unit.
This is what I see:-

It is complicated Confused Crying or Very sad
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, first of all when i read "152 Street at 24 Ave Surrey" i assumed this was Surrey, UK. I admit i didn't read the address properly.

As you have discovered CM only downloads the UK database but as i mentioned in the other thread POILoader does NOT freeze (yes, i know Windows Task Manager says it is not responding, but it is processing the files and will eventually "un-freeze"), the GPX files it creates are huge in comparison to the CSV files and therefore takes a lot longer for POILoader to process.

For now delete CM and any UK files you have. If you can get a screen shot of the "black square surrounded by a white border" I'd be grateful. I suspect it'll be the grey blob that is displayed when there is no BMP associated with a POI.

Can you also list all the files in your POI folder that you upload with POILoader?

Finally, as Strumble, said above, try downloading the GPX file from here. Select Garmin Other, then Canada GPX. Then upload this with POILoader. Note: it will take a few minute to process. Windows Task Manager WILL report it is not responding etc. Leave it to finish. It takes time.
kharrap
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I captured the screen showing the location of the redlight camera at 152 Street and 24 Ave, Surrey (BC, Canada) the URL address at image shack is

To get to this screen I selected "Custom POIs" from "My Locations" , then I selected the POI for "152 Street at 24 Ave Surrey" then I selected "Show Map" I have gone back and loaded the .GPX file and I can now see the redlight camera symbol and when I select the Custom POI instead of it showing as "152 Street and 24 Ave Surrey" it displays as "?-R-43869 " The folder containing the CSV files is PGPSW-Speed-cams-xxxxx and the iindividual files are 2 text files, Licence and Release, pocket_cam_cameras which shows as a Microsoft Excel file in CSV format and a bitmap image file called pocketgps_cam_cameras The folder containing the .GPX files is called pgpsw-speed-cams-yyyyy it also incldes the 2 text files Licence and Release, the .GPX file is pocketgps_cam_sc.gpx and it is much bigger than the .CSV file at 90kb vs. 6 kb for the .CSV file the fourth file is a bitmap file called pocketgps_cam_sc
I have not tried it yet but I suspect the .GPX format file will work
Thanks for your help
Ken Harrap

Admin Edit: Download filenames obscured. PaulB2005
kharrap
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now tried the Garmin in my car using the .GPX format files and I am sorry to report that it is still not working, I do not get either an audio alarm or a visual alarm. When I select the Custom POI's and then select ?-R-43869 and then select "Show Map" I see the camera icon together with the tag ?-R-43869 this is the same location as when I had the .CSV files loaded where it was showing "152 Street and 24 Ave Surrey" which was the screen image I forwarded to you. I drove past this location twice, first travelling South at about 60Km with the Garmin on the "View Map" selection, no icon or warning was shown, I was not expecting it to since the redlight camera is set up to catch cars travelling North, At 18 Ave and 152 Street I turned around and selected "Go Home" and travelled North on 152 Street ar about 60 Km, the redlight at 24 Avenue did not show and there was no audio alarm. I double checked after I got home and the Proximity Alarm was set to ON.
Any suggestions? I am also curious why considering the .GPX file is about 8 times larger than the .CSV file, it seems to hold less information and why it does not carry any description of the location of the camera, instead every description is the same in each case which is "PocketGPSWorld"
Thanks
Ken Harrap
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i am also curious why considering the .GPX file is about 8 times larger than the .CSV file, it seems to hold less information

It holds considerably more information.

Typical information from a CSV file (one line)

Quote:
-1.30235,53.32794,pMOBILE:13028@30

Typical information from a GPX file (one line)

Quote:
PocketGPSWorld.com 1.1 1.1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd 53.32794 -1.30235 PocketGPSWorld http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v2 http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v2/GpxExtensionsv2.xsd Category 2 SymbolAndName 30-pM-13028 Navaid, Violet

Note those are for the same camera.

Quote:
why it does not carry any description of the location of the camera

I have highlighted the camera co-ordinates in blue above....

I can't make head nor tail of why a very few people are having problems. I have madeseveral real life runs with an i3 and a Nuvi 760 past multiple GATSOs, RedLight, Monitron and Mobiles and not once has it failed. I've used an un-edited Consolidated Database which was unzipped and run straight into a POI file with POILoader in Express Mode with MPH settings. All Approach and Over-speed warnings (both banner and bongs) intact.

If there was a wide-scale problem with the database i think we'd have heard from more than 2 or 3 people by now.....

I'm not saying that you are not experiencing a problem but one user is even following the exact same steps i use in Ash10s Camera Manager program and it fails for him. He can get it to work by manually editing the settings though. At the minute i can't see why some users are having problems. If it's not resolved by the time i get back of my holidays I'll continue looking....
kharrap
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information about the .GPX file, the point that I was trying to make was that in the .CSV format there appears to be more useful and relevant information than in the .GPX format, specifically I was referring to the descriptive information about the street location of the camera. As I said in my initial query, when I was in Australia I loaded my Garmin with redlight and speed camera information from the GPS Data Team. They have a database for Canada so I will try that and let you know if it works and whether there are any obvious differences in the format. After I have done that I will let you know the results and then I could perhaps send you the files or at the very least you could download it yourself from www.gps-data-team.com In the meantime have a great holiday and also for all your help and patience.
Ken Harrap
kharrap
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally figured out the solution, I have been removing the SD card and inserting it into the card reader on my computer and uploading the POI's using the POI Loader. If I connect the Garmin to my computer using the USB cable, then everything works fine. I also noticed that if use the SD card even though the information is loaded onto the card, the Garmin unit does not recognise it and continues to us any POI's that were previously loaded. Following are 3 images each in respect to the same location which is "152 Street and 24 Ave Surrey" (BC, Canada) The first uses the single file .CSV format written directly to the SD card

The next image is after loading the file from GPS Data Team, this is also a .CSV file format, however it was loaded via the USB cable connecting the Garmin to the Computer.

The final image is the single file again in .CSV format except this time the file was loaded using the USB cable.

I suspect that the other situations that you have encountered follow the same pattern. I would be interested in your thoughts on why the problem occurs when you write directly to the SD card instead of using the USB cable. Thanks for your help, I hope you had a great holiday.
Ken Harrap
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the feedback. Hopefully this information will get back to Garmin who might be able to offer and explanation and fix it. Possibly a fault with POILoader.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: