Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Getting a PDA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a PDA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mushroomdude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Getting a PDA Reply with quote

Hello All,
I've been using Fugawi 3.0 on a notebook for some time for field work using DRGs (works great for this) and Delorme Street Atlas for longer distance highway/street driving. I use a externally USB connected Garmin so that I can detach the GPS and carry it off separately and record tracks and waypoints that can be dumped back into the Fugawi program.

I am looking to jump into using a PDA with the newer Fugawi with PDA support but have yet to purchase a PDA. I'm looking at possibly going with one of the newer, but not necessarily top-of-the-line HP iPAQ series.

Would anyone be kind enough to provide some PDA recommendations and/or configurations that would enable me to do what I currently do on the notebook?

Question
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot suggest any specific PDA, any PDA that is current will easily do the job. Choose one that suits your other requirements best.

The one thing I can think of to consider is an integrated internal GPS receiver, as opposed to using an external Bluetooth GPS. The integrated solution is easier. Only one device to turn off and on, only one set of batteries to go flat etc.

I still use an older Navman PIN - by todays standards pretty basic, but it does everything I want so no reason to upgrade.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest having a look at the Asus a696, I am not saying it is better or worse that any other, but it is versatile and has bluetooth,Wifi and Irda, win6,Intergrated sirf3 receiver, removable battery, uses upto 16gb sd memory card and value for money at about £185, also reasonably fast at 416mhz,also 4 configerable buttons,only had mine a week but pretty impressed but not yet tested to the full yet. incedently that price doesnt include Satnav software.
mushroomdude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input from both of you!

I might consider an internal GPS, but I kind of like carrying around a removable one (less aggravation in the field, which for myself, can get pretty extreme) that I can later dump the data into the PDA or PC. However, if the internal one can be disabled when not needed and an external one used in its place, that would be a definite plus.

The Asus looks quite interesting. How is it for battery life and running other Windows-based programs?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I have not managed to put the asus truly thru its paces to give a true answer, but battery life is stated at 3hrs plus, my use mainly in car but obviously depends on use and settings there are various settings to increase battery life and a screen lock that shuts off screen and buttons if playing music also available is a double size 2600ma battery, although it sticks out of the back to double the units depth it also comes with an additional cover to fit, I have bought a battery extender with usb conection that takes 4 a AAA batteries, I bought two from poundland at a pound each and will modify one to take bigger batteries, havent used yet.
I dont see any reason why it shouldnt run windows ppc progams because its O.S. is Windows Mobile 6 and already contains windows mobile word,excel and outlook and certainly seamlessly interfaces with two PCs abeit a lot slower than win2003se did for some reason, as i said not had much chance to really try yet, but seems very versatile. It also has a socket for external reciever (aka mio168) but i think this maybe for aerial as opposed to external gps reciever, it wasnt used on the Mio so i certainly dont expect it to be used on the asus.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: