Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - need help totaly,totaly new to all this
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

need help totaly,totaly new to all this

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
popcornpopcorn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: need help totaly,totaly new to all this Reply with quote

I have just purchased the garmin 760,in live in uk.At present i can only get access to my libary computer so i cannot download,even if i knew how onto my garmin.The help i desparately need is STEP by STEP help in how to update,put on the poi loader,how to save my info on the sat nave ,just in case i mess it up.I would like to download all poi s especialy ones with added phone numbers uk and france only though.Please can you assist me.Kind regards John
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

First of all you might have problems using a library computer as they will probably not allow you to install your own software on it.

The software you need to use is all here

WebUpdater will help you update the software on your Nuvi 760. Just follow the screens and it'll step you through the procedure.

POILoader needs to be loaded on your PC and it'll allow you to install POIs. Once you have unzipped all the POIs to a folder on your PC the program steps you through the procedure. Just make sure you select MPH and Express in the 2 options. All your POIs need to be installed in one go as it deletes all existing POIs before loading the new ones.

Finally to backup you need copy all the files from the Nuvi to a folder on your PC, however this will take nearly an hour and is only of any use if you can then get the data onto a DVD or somewhere you can keep the data safe.
popcornpopcorn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: garmin 760 help with download Reply with quote

Hi,Thank you for that info.Yes i do know the library has limits.Though i can download mp3 s,so will it do you know let me download thw updates when i connect my garmin to the computer.Thanks again john
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably be able to download the data files, but I doubt they will let you install the software to get them onto the Nuvi.
popcornpopcorn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: down for garmin Reply with quote

Thanks for that Andy. John
popcornpopcorn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: poi down for garmin 760 Reply with quote

Paul,is that right,if i download extra poi s on my garmin it deletes the existing ones,or have i misunderstood that and that it COULD delete them,Cheers John
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, the way it works is that the POI Loader program takes all the raw POI files it is given and wraps them up into a single file, which it then puts on the Garmin.
Therefore, if you give POI Loader some new files WITHOUT GIVING IT THE OLD ONES AGAIN, it will produce a new file with just the new stuff so you WILL lose the old stuff.
All you need to do though is always keep all your raw POI files in one folder on your PC, then everytime you run POI Loader it will create its master file from all of them.

~~Paul_B ~~ From my little play with Nuvis, the file produced by POI Loader is called "poi.gpi", but I'm sure I was adding OTHER poi files called vwxyz.gpi, just by normal copy and paste, and they both appeared on the Nuvi in custom POIs.

As an alternative method, couldn't people just rename the 'first' PIOLoader-created file to something else, every time they wanted to add some more?
popcornpopcorn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: poi download on garmin Reply with quote

Hi Andy,Thank you for your help.Can i stretch your help a little more.You see i'm a little thick on computers,and creating a folder and the like is big time for me.As this library computer is'nt going to get me far i will have to purchase a laptop or the like.This is very tecnichal to me even worse when if i do something wrong i mess up the garmin sat nav.Could i try your patience by asking you to do a step by step procedure rearly down to basics.I would appreciate that very much.Thanks again John
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Paul,is that right,if i download extra poi s on my garmin it deletes the existing ones

That is correct.

Quote:
As an alternative method, couldn't people just rename the 'first' POILoader-created file to something else, every time they wanted to add some more?

You can but if you make 3 POI files, aaa.gpi, bbb.gpi and ccc.gpi, then you have to remember which gpi file contains which POI files. Also when you want to update one POI file you have to also add all the other POIs from the same GPI file together. It gets very messy.

The only time i can think when you'd need more than one POI.GPI file is when you load the UK and Europe Speed Camera Databases as one has to be KPH and one MPH. Other than that it only take s a few seconds to combine several thousand POIs into a POI.GPI file so you don't really gain much by running multiple GPI files.

As Andy says

Quote:
All you need to do though is always keep all your raw POI files in one folder on your PC, then every time you run POI Loader it will create its master file from all of them.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: poi download on garmin Reply with quote

popcornpopcorn wrote:
Could i try your patience by asking you to do a step by step procedure rearly down to basics.I would appreciate that very much.Thanks again John

As I implied, I'm really not the best person to ask, as I'm a TomTom user primarily. Someone like Paul who uses the Garmins all the time would be a better bet.

There is also the ready-written instructions for the speed camera database from here, the principle is the same for any POIs.
Those instructions are HERE
Take a look at those first and ask again if there's anything that's not clear.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: