Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - maps on hardrive and card is it possible
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

maps on hardrive and card is it possible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
headhurts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: maps on hardrive and card is it possible Reply with quote

my tomtom account is now set up for my 730 and all appears well thanks to members of this forum, i can see from map guarantee that i am entitled to map upgrade which should be 8.05 is it possible to keep the older maps on the tomtom hard drive and download the latest maps to an sd card? i have spoken to tomtom re this and have different answers one says i can by why would i and the other says it is not possible to have the full western europe maps on both. its merely a belt and braces thing as am off touring europe soon and have not had the tomtom 730 long enough to fully appraise and thought this would be good idea but others here may have ideas or recommendations differing from mine. as a by the way there is very little info on tomtom site and none in the online manual regarding use of cards with this device. unless i have missed something obvious. thanks in advance for any help and or suggestions.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible and isn't too difficult. The only problem arises if both Map directories have the same name, meaning you won't know which one you're selecting until you have selected it. Even this can be sorted with a bit of editing, if you know what you're doing.

Have a look here.
headhurts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: thanks so how do i? Reply with quote

thanks for the reply so i can do it but how do i do it? i thought once you click on download new map tomtom home did everything so how do i tell it to download to the card and if anyone answers this is there a best card to use not too sure difference between sd sdh cards. due to prior problems with downloading updated maps am a bit paranoid about asking tomtom home to do anything. i have backed everything up but last time i could not even use the back up the last 730 stopped showing up on my pc as a device. thanks for any replies. Embarassed
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make a complete explorer backup as described here (pinned topics) before the upgrade and another one after using LMG. And run the LMG.
If you dont like the new map you can restore from the backup by simple copy and paste. If you like the new map on the other hand there would be little sense to keep to old map, bearing in mind the differences between those two maps in western europe are minimal.

Having separate SD card for older Europe map seems a bit overkill... as you rather will be using one map after some initiall looking here and there.

Also bear in mind you would have to contantly keep switching maps to do MapShare upgrades, as HOME only upgrades MapShare on current active map in your TomTom, so every single update process would look like this:

connect, run, disconnect, change map, connect, run, disconnet
headhurts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply have already done a full copy & paste back up via vista on my hard drive and 4gb usb pen drive. my nervousness was because despite this last time the whole thing went pear shaped and the updated maps would not activate something to do with tomtom support changing my device code i believe, the whole device locked up and i could not do a restore. having said that i would have to be very unlucky for this to happen again and thanks to this forum i have created a new account so hopefully this time my upgrade will go ok. have only had the replacement 730 since 10/6 so may wait a while to update maps. again thanks for taking the time to help a newbie to this forum which is excellent and most helpful. Very Happy
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headhurts wrote:
thanks for the reply have already done a full copy & paste back up via vista on my hard drive and 4gb usb pen drive. my nervousness was because despite this last time the whole thing went pear shaped and the updated maps would not activate something to do with tomtom support changing my device code i believe

If you created new account the upgrade will be fine. I also had the same problem as yours (tomtom tweaking device code - maps not activated) and new account fixed the problem and upgrade went without any glitch.
saikee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my TT920 I did a back up to the PC and remove the NA map into a 4Gb SDHC card.

I later got a 8Gb SDHC card and copied the NA map from the PC, swapped the 4Gb with 8Gb and everything back to normal, including new mp3 and photoes added to the 8Gb SDHC card.

So I think the files and maps can be moved around between the TT unit, SDHC and the PC hard disk. Think TT on a boot-up scans the device and SD card to update the maps' positions.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are probably lots of ways to do this.
I would
1. back up the existing map
2. run the LMG and update it on the internal memory
3. copy the original back onto the SD card
4. Change the name of one as described in Mike's link.

I do something very similar at the moment.
I have v710 "large" W+C Europe on an SD card and v715 "2GByte" W+C Europe on the internal memory. I also renamed them so they can be told apart on-screen.

Quote:
how do i tell it to download to the card ?

Don't forget it asks you which storage you want to use on the very first screen when Home starts up (maybe it only does that when you have a card installed).

As suggested above, if you want to do Mapshare updates, you have to switch to each map in turn AND select the correct storage location before getting the updates for each map individually.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: