Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 255W
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 255W
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ma Ft wrote:
the 2x0 and 2x5 series are entry level devices and i very much doubt that any region-specific versions will have any extra features such as TTS...
There is a precedent for this, though...

...the Australian StreetPilot C510 (and I think), the Nüvi 310 have TTS, whereas the European ones don't.

Apart from why? ... the other question is how? Idea - they run the same firmware...
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been told that the Garmin model numbers for the 255 are as follows:

With TTS:
nüvi 255, North America, 010-00717-20
nüvi 255, Australia, 010-00717-22
nüvi 255, New Zealand, 010-00717-23
nuvi 255T, Europe, 010-00717-13

Without TTS:
nüvi 255, Europe, 010-00717-21
nuvi 255T, Europe, 010-00717-12

So in Europe there is a 255T with TTS and another model without. Anyone know which parts of Europe get the 255T with TTS?
SandLake
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to
http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/tomtom-go/nuvi_deals.htm
Dixons sell both the
255W at £152.99
and
255WT at £169.99
I was wondering what the difference between them was, I thought the 255WT had some additional traffic features
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get too excited Surprised . I followed the link through to Dixons - they had only the 255 & 255W, NOT the 255WT (or 255T). Evil or Very Mad

Amazon have the 255T but it is the non-TTS version according to the product number given in the description.

HOWEVER, the Garmin UK site itself does have a 255T, model number 010-00717-20 , with TTS which can cover US or Europe Smile - whether 'where to buy' leads anywhere useful (ie in-stock items), I haven't checked myself. Evidently though, buyers must make sure they check the exact part number and description as given by tynecomp - I'd also specifically tell the store that TTS is an essential feature, in case of an accidental mis-selling/inaccurate description
rutteger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tynecomp wrote:
I have been told that the Garmin model numbers for the 255 are as follows:

With TTS:
nüvi 255, North America, 010-00717-20
nüvi 255, Australia, 010-00717-22
nüvi 255, New Zealand, 010-00717-23
nuvi 255T, Europe, 010-00717-13

Without TTS:
nüvi 255, Europe, 010-00717-21
nuvi 255T, Europe, 010-00717-12

So in Europe there is a 255T with TTS and another model without. Anyone know which parts of Europe get the 255T with TTS?

Looks like similar hold true for the 255w. If you search via the US website there does appear to be a model with TTS for Europe.
Recently purchased a 255wt from ebuyer, model # 010-00718-12. No TTS in either american english or british english. TTS is listed in the units internal help file annoyingly - the implication here is TTS is available if you select a TTS voice.
Be interested if anyone knows the differences or even btter has managed to get TTS working on a normal Euro unit.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If rutteger's suspicion was correct, and it was the case that the 255 without TTS has the same hardware and system as the one with TTS, it would be simple to download a voice from the Garmin site - see support page for Streetpilot c340:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00401-20

If anyone wanted to try it, they must of course back up EVERYTHING on the satnav first!! BUT, for example, with the Streetpilot c510/c530 the systems were NOT quite the same as the c550 (TTS) and it was necessary to hack the voice onto those units. I wouldn't recommend experimenting except by the Phil Hornby-types of these forums!!
rutteger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a quick go at uploading a tts voice onto the 255w last night, used the instructions for the streetpilots. Put the voice into the right directory but the unit didn't pick it up - the tts voice wasn't an option in the voice menu. Will have to look at in more depth, although i guess its possible garmin have prevented the use of tts voices on certain firmwares (as they did for certain stretpilots i believe)
If someone has a tts voice from a 225w would be interested to try it....
Dean08
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom59 wrote:

I bought a 760, which did have text to speech, but it sounded like R2D2! ......
The biggest problem that I had was that I have become used to glancing at TT in "Travel" mode, to be able to see speed, next turn, time of arrival etc instantaneously. With the Garmin, you need to switch to a different screen (with no map) to see all that detail.

Not strictly true. I've got the Nuvi 770 and whilst driving along it does show the next turn in the bottom right of the map and arrival time in the bottom left of the map.

Also, if you also switch to the Turn page it switches to another screen which does show a map, the screen is split in two. On the left hand side is a map and on the right are the turn instructions.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rutteger wrote:
Quote:
used the instructions for the streetpilots

while I strongly suspect that, as you say, Garmin have disabled TTS on these, I'm still wondering, with your comment about seeing TTS in the Help file.

Two possibilities occur to me:

1) If it WOULD work on the 255, then I don't think, on reflection, the Streetpilot 'hack' approach would be the right way. The point about the Streetpilot 'hack' was (I think) because the 340 was NOT a mass storage device which the c510, and the Nuvis, are, so the code was slightly different.

I was told by Garmin recently that if I had voices missing on my Nuvi (which is TTS), I could download them from their site. There are none listed under Nuvi support, only for a couple of Streetpilot models, and they are quite uptodate. I assume Rolling Eyes therefore that I could have loaded them directly into my Nuvi, ie that the latest versions of the voices ARE now compatible with mass storage devices.

In A Nutshell - Wink a straight download might be what's expected.

2) But if the Streetpilot approach is still appropriate, the frequent cause of the voice not being recognised, or lost on restart, was that the file names were not specified EXACTLY as given in the instructions. This was so easy to do, and so difficult to spot - it's usually an underline or hyphen missed or doubled, or put in the wrong place in relation to the fullstop. So you could double check this.

Sorry to go on somewhat, especially as it's probably a forlorn hope!, but it may be of some help - others more wise may have some thoughts.
rutteger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had another go at getting TTS onto the Euro 255W.

Downloaded a TTS voice from garmin here

When running the voice updater it doesn't find the 255w as a usb device. Not 100% convinced the usb drivers are installed properly although all other garmin apps work fine with the unit.

Still no joy with the streetpilot hack...

Anybody else tried this. would be good to get the tts running on this unit.
aboxy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: US 255 version TTS file paste to U.K version Reply with quote

If you buy a Nuvi 255 US version or download the TTS file and copy then paste in to the U.K version this could give text to speech it's worth a try Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: