Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 720 v Phillips Easy read London map £9 from amazon
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 720 v Phillips Easy read London map £9 from amazon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nigel42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: TomTom 720 v Phillips Easy read London map £9 from amazon Reply with quote

Hi

Firstly I hope some from TT reads these forums because I dare, no I double dare them to come out with for one day ( I drive in london for a living) to show just how crap their 'top of the range' units cant compete against a £9 map.

The old fashioned map CORRECTLY shows each and every no right and no left turn in central London. TT cant do the same. I am sick to death with been taken up MAJOR road and TT telling me to turn left or right and staring at signs telling me you cant!!!

If a map which was printed 2 years ago can still beat an 'up todate' TT why are WE up dating Tomtom?.

They (TT) still cant get the speed limits right on the A3.

They (TT) still cant find major roads in london. They have lost Kings road SW3!

EACH Day I am submitting corrections but nothing happens,as the same problems appear time and time again. I am getting fed up with sending the same correction over and over.

The next step is the press and TV. IQ routes your having a laugh!

Right rant, into battle tomorrow but I know who will win. My money NOT on the £300 toy hanging on my windscreen!!! Twisted Evil
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm... How have you got IQ routes on a 720?

And speed limit changes and 'no left/right turn' corrections would never show up on a 720 with v7 maps because Mapshare could only report those errors not share them.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair dues to Nigel, he does note that IQ routes is the "next step" in the press.

I'm still amazed that the local 35 year old motorway is still not named correctly along with it's famous junction at the end (go on, find the A38(M) and the motorway junction called "Spaghetti Junction" on a TeleAtlas map. (I've been reporting that since Nav5).

At least we can now correct the turns and speeds via mapshare on v8.
Brodit ProClip mount
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 720 v Phillips Easy read London map £9 from amazo Reply with quote

Nigel42 wrote:
The next step is the press and TV. IQ routes your having a laugh!

If its any consolation on the way home this evening I thought one of my units had performed a reset, it turned out to be the TomTom advert on the local radio station - the drum roll was all I heard of the advert and wondered what it was!!! - Mike
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote
Quote:
speed limit changes and 'no left/right turn' corrections would never show up on a 720 with v7 maps because Mapshare could only report those errors not share them.
Sorry Andy but they will show up if he has updated his 720 to v8.010.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
Fair dues to Nigel, he does note that IQ routes is the "next step" in the press.

I see... I thought when he said "The next step is the press and TV." he meant complaining to them, not that he'd seen IQ routing advertised on them.

Calomax wrote:
Sorry Andy but they will show up if he has updated his 720 to v8.010.

I know, but he says he's been making the same corrections for ages and makes no mention of having updated either maps or software to v8 so (maybe wrongly) I assumed at least SOME of those corrections would have been on v7.

I KNEW I should have stayed in bed this morning, its been one of those days....
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapshare and IQ stuff are all very well, but I think the point that the original poster was making was that the basic maps (electronic), as is, from TT are nowhere near as up to date as a two year old paper map.
I also find this inecusable. On what data do the paper maps depend, and why dosn't TT use the same correction data
PS I have an outdated map Mio, with not much chance of obtaining map updates so what do I care Question
Nigel42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

What I meant by 'IQ routes' was that TT havent/cant sort out mapshare IMHO and now they are launching this new traffic 'aid' in the press. I belive that they should perfect current products 1st before embarking on new ones.

will IQ routes be based on customers mapshare submissions?

It will be interesting to see how these routes work in london as everyday the traffic is the same!!!

My map is v715.1703 so the v8.010 is news to me! I suspose the upgrade will cost me! Is there a link to obtain the new maps?? Surprised

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel42 wrote:

My map is v715.1703 so the v8.010 is news to me! I suspose the upgrade will cost me! Is there a link to obtain the new maps?? Surprised

Thanks

They haven't been released for the x20 models yet.
Only available on the x30 range so far.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=67721 will tell you all you need to know.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: