Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help with TT520 no response to postcodes etc.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with TT520 no response to postcodes etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheapread
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Help with TT520 no response to postcodes etc. Reply with quote

Hi, I've had nothing but trouble with this unit 3 months old- mostly after updates I think-
Voice recognition disappeared, I ended up shouting but nowt , no response- I think I sorted it by a reload/update of maps etc.)

Another time it wouldnt recognise some postcodes - me in Bristol fine but when I was in Reading I punched in RD... and it wouldnt recongise any Reading codes.

Now It won't respond to any postcodes....
i.e.
I key in the postcode and it appears ok on the top menu line, but it doesnt
show that postcode in the drop down (middle line) - Whereas it used to give you that and an alternative postcode as well and you could chose which one u wanted....

Any Ideas ? I have pressed the RESET button- no different.
I have also linked up to the PC and tried to download an update but I am current so there is nowt to download. I'd like to 'wipe' the TT520 and then 'have' to download the complete update suite - is that possible?

Brilliant when it works but getting fed up of its spurious unreliability...
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a Windows back-up, made when the device was working properly? If so copy it back from your pc to the device.
Samsung Galaxy S21
cheapread
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anita, I did a backup, but now that I click the 'restore' button, is says no backup exists even tho I have changed nothing in the PC's TomTom app.
I think I'll have to wade thru a long laborious conversation with an 0845 number tomorrow ....
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not much use to you at the moment but, when you get your device working again, before you do anything else, follow the instructions in #1 of the TomTom FAQs here to do a Windows (not HOME) backup.

It's worth reading the rest of the FAQs, and bookmarking them for future reference.

But are you sure there's a problem with the postcodes? I thought Reading was RG, not RD?
Samsung Galaxy S21
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
I thought Reading was RG, not RD?

Yes, Reading is RG - definitely, I used to live in a Reading (RG) postcode area and now work just outside the RG postcode area
cheapread
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anita, yeah you're right Reading is RG - my typo....

Anyway got a 'result'. Rang Help Desk at TT (0845 161 000 9) and quickly got very helpful Tech Support guy. He said... a 'known' issue with TTs losing their postcodes...

He said do this....
From my PC browse to the drive that my TT was presenting ( my case the G: drive)
Look in there amongst the myriad of DIRs for one named Tomtom and one named Zip. If the Tomtom one is missing, re-create it and leave it empty.
Likewise the Zip dir.

He then downloaded to my email a zipped postcodes dir. called ZIP I think...
I unzipped this and put it into my ZIP dir. (slightly tricky, but do'able!)
Powered my TT down 'n up and voila , postcodes behaving again.

Help the Tech Support guy by being able to do the following before you call em ....

When u power up your TT, there is a Taskbar, (normally below) the
map route that it is currently showing. Touch that taskbar and amongst other things it will show up a little tab indicating (in my case)
"Version
7.481"
just note that for him.

Now he'll ask you to tap that little icon or tab "Version 7.481" and it
will bring up a new screen giving lots of teckie info including that version
of postcodes which 'was' on your TT. Just tell him what this is.

It is then that he will download the postcodes to you and away you go, as above.

p.s.
If your TT starts misbehaving, it is in my experience thus far after you download updates. There is a fair chance that some feature will go wonky next time you are out on the road, be it postcodes, or no reaction to 'voice commands' etc. I also did a backup (it prompted me to do so) , yet when I needed to revert to it coz TT was playing up after downloads, it said no backup found...

Ah well....small price to pay for a brill little gizmo, I love mine in comparison to the Navman F20 neandertahl I used to have.

cheers folks, mind how you gooooo
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheapread wrote:
I also did a backup (it prompted me to do so) , yet when I needed to revert to it coz TT was playing up after downloads, it said no backup found...

I trust you have now done as I suggested and followed the instructions in #1 of the TomTom FAQs here to do a Windows (not HOME) backup, then it won't matter if the TomTom is "playing up". The backup will be safely on your computer, from where you can copy it to the device.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: