Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - lithium battery chargers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

lithium battery chargers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brickstar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: lithium battery chargers Reply with quote

hi sorry if it has been asked before but does any one know where i can get a decent lithium AA battery charger,thanks.

brian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Lithium AA cells were disposable?? - if not I have thrown away a few pounds worth by now, recharging disposable batteries is extremely dangerous, can you clarify what type of cells you are using - manufacturer and part number (if known) - Mike
brickstar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed i take it from your reply you cant get a AA lithium cell charger a friend of mine suggested(wrongly it seems)to get a charger,with chargable batteries.

not had my gps long and only just started using lithiums as the gps is a battery eater.is there no way you can get a charger for these batteries or is it just worth sticking with normal rechargables its just that they dont last that long.
and dont worry i would never try to charge throw away batteries

brian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are Lithium based cells that are rechargeable but not in AA cell format as far as I am aware, the rechargeable LiPo (Lithium Polymer cells) are a totally different type of battery.

If you need rechargeable cells for a device look out for some 2700mAHr AA NIMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) cells with a compatible charger, they don't cost much and are close to the capacity of the Lithium disposable cells anyway - Mike
brickstar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks for the advice mike,just need to pass that info onto my friend.

brian
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this will help but I've seen one working.

CLICK HERE
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks dodgy to me, I just can't work out if it's dodgy technology or dodgy marketing or a bit of both.

There are rechargeable alkaline batteries, which have been avalible for years, but this thing claims to recharge the disposable type of alkaline cells. I would have to see an endorsement from Duracell or Energizer before I attempted that.

In the end tehre are different cells types and difference cell chemistries. Disposable and rechargeable is obvious as theres only two choices.
Where people get confused is that the cell chemistry is often not fully described, so Lithium cells coupld one of dozens of chemistries that incldue the Li element.

Most imporantly is the charging method used for each chemisrty is critical to cell life and safety. If you charge a the wrong cell type in teh wrong charger, you can end up with a nice condition known as "thermal runaway". have a search on the net for some nice video examples. At best, you stuff the cells.

My recommendation is stick to NiMh AA recharageables (Currently avalible at 2700mAH/cell). These are cheap, ebvironmentally friendly, and only a little less capactiy than the most exotic alternates.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recharging cell types that were intended to be disposable is both foolhardy and downright dangerous, I wouldn't even entertain saving a few coppers by re-using the Alkaline cells once depleted, if the battery were to explode think of the damage potential to the house etc.

Keep the correct charger for the correct rechargeable batteries and you will be safe - its not worth the risk - stupid and dangerous marketing by the looks of that advert - Mike
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray-o-Vac did manufacture rechargable 1.5v rechargable batteries a few years ago, which were subsequently dropped due to issues and quickly losing their charge capabilities quicky and are now impossible to get, I still have some of these along with the special charger, Most modern units will use rechargable Nimh 1.2v batteries because generally 1.5v standard batteries will quickly drop down near the 1.2v mark quickly anyway.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Don't know if this will help but I've seen one working.

CLICK HERE

That is for 'alkaline' batteries not Lithium. As Mike says, re-charging Alkaline's is bad enough, attempting to recharge a Lithium battery not intended to be recharged is asking for trouble.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: