Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can I Play AVI files on tomtom520 using SD card?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I Play AVI files on tomtom520 using SD card?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theunknownspider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Can I Play AVI files on tomtom520 using SD card? Reply with quote

I'm hoping so....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need an add on movie player to play ANY video, and I think they then need to be stored in a more compressed format first.

The two I know of are MPlayer - free, and Mobilnova - costs.

Links for both are in the 'sticky' topic "TomTom add-on Applications" in this forum.
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Can I Play AVI files on tomtom520 using SD card? Reply with quote

theunknownspider wrote:
I'm hoping so....
i posted a link before, dont know if its tha same as the others but works great

HERE
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it is the same as the first one I mentioned, don't know why I called it "MPlayer" just then!
I noticed your link takes you to an easier to understand description! I'll add it to the list. Thumbs Up
gearloos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently if you upgrade your TomTom to version 8, the Tomplayer no longer works. Unless you load the standalone version on an sd card and boot from there. but then you have to shut down and take the card out to use as map/normal Tomtom.
I verified this on my 930. It does not work.
From what I've read, TomTom changed the way icons show up for launch and there isn't anyone who has come up with a solution.
The author of Tomplayer stated in a thread I read that he was giving up.
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong as I would like to use this feature as well.
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gearloos wrote:
Apparently if you upgrade your TomTom to version 8, the Tomplayer no longer works. Unless you load the standalone version on an sd card and boot from there. but then you have to shut down and take the card out to use as map/normal Tomtom.
I verified this on my 930. It does not work.
From what I've read, TomTom changed the way icons show up for launch and there isn't anyone who has come up with a solution.
The author of Tomplayer stated in a thread I read that he was giving up.
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong as I would like to use this feature as well.

I have a 520 running v8.010 software with UK & Rep v7.15.1703 on the device. I have installed tomplayer on a 2gb card and although it will not navigate in the background with it playing there is no need to reboot when stopping the player and returning to navigation.

I got it installed by following the posts here and here

I've just reread your post and notice you have a 930 but if the software is the same there should be no difference (should there?)
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
... and I think they then need to be stored in a more compressed format first.

DivX I would guess. PocketDivXEncoder is both free and the fastest I have used. Highly customizable, so select your target size and screen resolution to suit. A shame lip sync is sometimes an issue for me on my Archos PVP, double pass helps although takes longer. Coding for me takes roughly 1.5 times the movie length once ripped to hard drive, but this will depend on your PC capabilities. Windows does not natively support DivX, so consider installing a decent Codec pack to watch the movie on the PC also.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, one or both of the movie players being discussed include the utility to compress the files to the correct format.
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gearloos

I have the players on the sd card as i have an 8gb one and can store more movies and music audio books etc on it, but as an experiment i put both onto the internal drive and they work perfectly once configured as per the instructions for each piece of software. Wink
gearloos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, thanks for the replies to my issue but I've tried a few more times with no luck. On my 930 (US version) I can run the standalone version fine with divx files or mp3's (only formats I tried)on my sd card but if I try and exit it just urns TomTom off. In order to get back to nav I have to remove the sd card and boot internal mem. Thats using the ttsystem file and tomplayer directory in root of the sd card to boot with. Actually, thats just what was described on Tomplayer website also.
I'm running , I think as its late here and my TomTom is downstairs, version 8.010. It's ok with me though, I don't plan on watching movies while driving so this solution is fine.
Sorry for hijacking the thread.
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of mine when exiting the player require me to log back in to the tomtom with my password.
This is a feature to stop it navigating whilst playing a movie. Does that answer your question? Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: