Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navcore 8 Upgrade for Older Devices Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navcore 8 Upgrade for Older Devices Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard345 wrote:
Overall I'm very happy and look forward to getting the v8 maps and trying out the IP Routing.

WooHoo does that mean we can now network all our tomtom's (wireless) of course. Cant find the "IP" icon tho Laughing
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Is there any way using Win Explorer to see what version is on which backup...

Locate the file named ttgo.bif. Open it with Notepad.

The contents will show you everything you need to know. Example:

[TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom 950
DeviceVersionHW=GOGOGO
DeviceSerialNumber=123456789
DeviceUniqueID=ABCDE 12345
RamDiskVersion=20080328
BootLoaderVersion=55015
LinuxVersion=164445
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8002
ApplicationVersion=9117
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ DennisN, This will depend upon how well structured your backups are named on the PC, the easiest way to roll back to 7,221 is visit Oldboy's web site and download 7,221 again (see Here OR you might be able to locate the required files on your PC this will save Richards bandwidth, which is probably going to get a serious hit while users roll back to the previous "stable" version).

Try using Windows Explorer and search for a file called "navcore_7.221.8572.CAB" this contains the update to 7,221 and if you unzip the file you will be presented with the full update with files correctly contained in their relevant folders - these need to be copied to the device replacing the files with the same name in each case. DO NOT COPY THE FOLDERS as not all files in each folder are replaced with a software update, or you can extract the files from the CAB file specifying the TomTom drive letter and let Windows Explorer manage which files need to go to which locations - Mike
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

My 720 was running older App, out of fear of the dreaded 7.481, but taking advice from here, I went to upgrade that one, via 7.481. Got that far, then found the above post from Darren announcing they'd pulled it for x20s. So I'm left with the miserable 7.481. Oh how I sometimes HATE TomTom!! Now it's off to recover to previous version 7.480.

That makes two of us!
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How typical of TomTom!! Im staying with 8.010 as the changes are worthwhile, especially the huge improvement in start up. time

What do TomTom see as the difficulty in having an extra icon for 'Show Lane Images' and getting a message to say it's not available yet? Do they think we can't understand this?

Let's hope they get their act together pretty damn smartly, otherwise I can see quite a lot of people changing to an alternate supplier when the time to renew their devices.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Is there any way using Win Explorer to see what version is on which backup, Mike - I have backups for November, December, January and February before I entered myn 720 into the February beta test programme and haven't updated since then. 7.481 is what came from the latest backup I did before doing today's failure. (The map pna file tells me the map versions, is there something similar for App versions, or is it just reload different ones until I get there?)

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I always include the software version in the name of the backup when there is a version change. That way, I can keep track of what I've got.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you made full backups each time the other way is to open the "ttgo.bif" file using WordPad and it will display quite a list of information including the software version number - Mike

Edit Once to add the ttgo.bif file is located in the root of the device or the root of your backup(s)
Smartdriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted - repeated advice

TT Go 6000
Previous Go 920T

Last edited by Smartdriver on Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got home from work to find the update has been removed from home. So I took a chance and down loaded the cab file from the link on the first page. Did a full back up then extracted the cab file copied it across to my TT 520T manually and hey presto it worked I now have 8.010 installed.

My 520 turns on straight away now which is worth it just for that. eveything else seems to work fine, so if all I have to put up with is a rubbish compass and an icon that says Show lane images which I know will not work then I am sticking with the update.
NA 2GB v8.45
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Does the upgrade have any impact on using larger SD cards? Reply with quote

Actually, I guess I could ask the folks with the X30 units like the 930 if the new "operating system" or firmware for the 920, etc, had any positive impact on using - that is reading and WRITING to cards larger than 4gigs?

I don't know if the limitation is a hardware or firmware/software issue and the reason I ask is because my Blackberry which was also limited to 4gig media cards, SD, got an OS update the other day which fixed the 4gig limitation and now allows 8gig cards.

So, I was hoping that maybe TT's new tweaked system, particularly for the new x30 devices might accommodate larger cards.

Anyone know or care to experiment and inform the rest of us?
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done TT - looks like RDS-TMC is fixed for the x20s!

I too have had some incidents still in grey, but in general it seems to work.

Shame they never fixed it in a public release of Navcore 7, especially as 8 has just been 'withdrawn'. I will grab some screenshots and post them at the weekend.

Andy
lesbsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Hoppy. My 720 has lost ASR but the fact it turns on quicker is a real bonus. If the RDS-TMC problem has been fixed (and I have yet to try it) then that will be brilliant. I'm sticking with 8.010 for now and see how it goes.

TomTom support could only suggest I go back to 7.481 for ASR to work. No thanks!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I best check ASR - not tried that yet!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lesbsmith wrote:
I'm with Hoppy. My 720 has lost ASR but the fact it turns on quicker is a real bonus. If the RDS-TMC problem has been fixed (and I have yet to try it) then that will be brilliant. I'm sticking with 8.010 for now and see how it goes.

TomTom support could only suggest I go back to 7.481 for ASR to work. No thanks!

Me too - the ASR icons are there but when I try it the strength meter in the top right doesn't even recognise that I am speaking..........

A reset hasn't cured - time to try a few things to fix it.......
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just sent this to TT support
Quote:
I would be very grateful if you would pass on the following comments to the powers that be within the TomTom organisation.

I understand that "the upgrade package to version 8.10 for 520, 720, & 920 devices contained the Advanced lane Guidance option in Change preferences. This created the impression that the feature was available when it is not and consequently the x20 version has been withdrawn".

Luckily I had updated before this happened, but on behalf of those who are less lucky, and if I have got the facts right, I should like to let you know that I think that was an unbelievable decision.

All that happens if you try to select Show lane images is that the device says the map version you are using is not compatible with Lane guidance. Well that's fine, I just won't bother to try it again and I'm sure everyone else will do the same.

The fantastic improvement in the version over 7.481, and even 7.221, which was the last satisfactory version, makes the update very worthwhile, and the unnecessary withdrawal of this update will do TomTom's reputation no good at all.

In fact my one and only grumble about the version at present is the replacement of the compass with the pathetic little pointer which has no options other than to turn it off, It's so useless that it would be best turned off.

As part of the next update, PLEASE PLEASE reinstate the good compass from version 7!!!
Thank you

My Name

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 7 of 34

Jump to: