Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - S90i Multi route
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

S90i Multi route
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
designer7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: S90i Multi route Reply with quote

Hi All.
New member saying Hello and asking for a little help.

I've been a very satisfied owner of the icn530 for 18+ months and decided to upgrade to the s90i. I run my own small delivery business and the multi route planner is a very valuble tool for me but i can't see how i can make it work like the old 530.

For example if i put in 14 trips in the 530 it will give me a rough idea of the eta and mileage ... i.e 2hrs 30 distance 65 miles

If i put in multi routes for the s90i it will only give me the eta/mileage to the first waypoint and so on thus making a quick overview very difficult

Is it possible to set it up to have the eta and milage calculated for the whole trip and not just for each waypoint?? or do i just need to stick with the 530 ?

Thanks in advance and I wish i'd found this site earlier.

Steve
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately this is yet another very useful piece of functionality that NavMan inexplicably decided to exclude from the S-series.

Out of interest, how did you go about upgrading to the S90i - I didn't know upgrade kits were available??

--

Cheers,

Dave
snowwolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he just means that he has decided to buy a new sat nav to replace an older one
designer7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a shame !

I wanted to keep the navman because of the the look of the maps but if the multi route is not an option then it will have to go .

Could anyone recommend a non - navman unit across any of the manufactures that Has the multi route function similar to the navman 530 with the look and feel of navman maps?

Thanks.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Multipoint Reply with quote

Multipoint routing is a feature on the S Series (it doesnt optimise your route, but you can easily change their order, save routes, etc.) - I would say it isn't the best implementation of multipoint though

Having said that, it looks like it is one of the features receiving a major update in SmartST 2008 2nd edition update coming in June (£)

You can see videos of it in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHaIbTP1ajw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlI35aR1tk0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfEdNYshPgI&feature=related
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: S90i Multi route Reply with quote

designer7 wrote:
Is it possible to set it up to have the eta and milage calculated for the whole trip and not just for each waypoint??

If you have a route calculated for multi stop trip, tap on map to open menu, select Route and then Show Summary, you will get ETA and distance for the whole trip.
designer7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies...

I may wait and see what June brings.

Thanks for the help.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: S90i Multi route Reply with quote

TheM wrote:

If you have a route calculated for multi stop trip, tap on map to open menu, select Route and then Show Summary, you will get ETA and distance for the whole trip.

Good grief - I've never even noticed this! I happily withdraw my earlier comments! As with a lot of things on the S-series, though, the fact that it's rather hidden away and not intuitively accessible does NavMan no favours - once again useability/ergonomics issues. You wouldn't want to be fumbling around with the device to get those figures while you were driving.

In fairness this feature is documented in the User Guide - as I have now very belatedly discovered - although the way it's worded doesn't really make the full implications of its use clear.

The creation of multi-point journeys is still crap on the S-series but this revelation has lifted my heart a little! Smile

--

Cheers,

Dave
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: S90i Multi route Reply with quote

DaveMatthews wrote:
The creation of multi-point journeys is still crap on the S-series

Why are you not happy with it? Did you prefer 530 way? On S-series you can create multiple trips and save them under different names into Favourites -- I don't think that was available on 530, was it? Can't remember any more.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: S90i Multi route Reply with quote

TheM wrote:
DaveMatthews wrote:
The creation of multi-point journeys is still crap on the S-series

Why are you not happy with it? Did you prefer 530 way? On S-series you can create multiple trips and save them under different names into Favourites -- I don't think that was available on 530, was it? Can't remember any more.

I wasn't comparing it to the 530, of which I have no experience. Here's an extract from my review of the S90i to illustrate the issues I have with it...

To create a new multi-stop journey, you go via the "Favourites" facility for some reason - hardly intuitive! Once you've constructed your list of stops, if you want to amend their order, you have to call up the "More Detail" screen of each one, change their position from there and then return to the list screen, repeating the exercise for any other stops that need re-ordering. It's not much of a chore but unintuitive and profligate on keypresses. Surely the sensible approach would have been to have the repositioning functionality on the waypoint list screen itself? If you are pre-planning the journey or anticipate needing it repeatedly, you can Save it but not until it has been calculated, which, in turn, requires you to have a GPS signal. So if you're pre-planning the journey from the comfort of your armchair, you'll need to be sitting near a big window!

As with so many other aspects of the S-series, top marks for inclusion of the feature - pity it's undermined by such thoughtless design.
--

Cheers,

Dave
PaulRS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveMathews wrote:
Quote:
If you are pre-planning the journey or anticipate needing it repeatedly, you can Save it but not until it has been calculated, which, in turn, requires you to have a GPS signal. So if you're pre-planning the journey from the comfort of your armchair, you'll need to be sitting near a big window!

Sorry Dave but you don't need the route calculating to save it. Just select the multi stop planner, add the destinations and when complete tap the arrow in the bottom right of the screen. This takes you to a summary of your journey telling you the final destination and the number of waypoints. Just select Save from this and then Save as Favourite.

Incidentally, if you don't have a GPS signal then you can set the start position manually as per normal trips. Although this is described in the manual it's not really helpful. The easiest way to set a departure point is to find a location in the normal way (address/ recents/ favourites/ POIs) and when the location is displayed as a small map with the address underneath then tap the map to enlarge it and then tap the map symbol in the bottom right of the map (NOT the large arrow).This takes you to a normal map screen with the location circled. Tap the circle, select Route on the map menu, tap Set as Start. Now select your multi-stop trip and it will calculate your trip. You can then get the total distance as already described.

This makes it very flexible as you can check the distance of the multi trip from any point you choose.

Cheers

Paul
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulRS wrote:
DaveMathews wrote:
Sorry Dave

No need for you to apologise, old chap!

PaulRS wrote:

but you don't need the route calculating to save it.

Yes, you're quite correct - not sure why I thought that!

Thanks for the tip re overriding the "current" departure point. It's certainly useful to be able to do that but, as with a lot of other aspects of the S-series, it involves a long, unintuitive sequence of keypresses - in fact it seems to be more down to serendipity than design - indeed the very fact that it will only work when you do NOT have a GPS signal is a bit of a giveaway, let alone the fact that the user guide is "vague"!

--

Cheers,

Dave
PaulRS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it seems to be more down to serendipity than design

Seems a bit like an afterthought to me as it's incomplete. You can select a destination from either the menu or the map. It's only possible to set a start point from the map. Without that bit of serendipity (where having selected a location and you exit back to the map, it selects the location on the map for you) the feature would be impossible to use. It really needs an extra button on the location screen to set it as the departure point, to make this feature complete.

Quote:
it will only work when you do NOT have a GPS signal

I think this is true of a lot of systems especially with built in GPS. I used to use TomTom 5 & 6 on a PDA with a seperate bluetooth GPS unit. This sort of setup is ideal for this function as you can turn off the GPS unit. As soon as yuo turn the GPS on though, it overrides the start position with your current location. This in essence is exactly what the Navman does except that the GPS is on all the time so you really need an option to turn this off and back on again. The other problem is that sitting in a house is no longer any guarantee that you won't get a GPS signal. My S90i will pick up 3 satellites whilst 14 feet from a window whereas my older bluetooth unit won't pick one up if on the window sill.

Cheers

Paul
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Work in progress Reply with quote

Think you are right, to me the Navman MultiPoint Routing does seem a Work In Progress feature - it appears the have improved since I first got my S90 from being nearly impossible to route multipoints, to now (SP2) being kind of okay, but have tended to keep away from it because of earlier experiences. But playing with it today, it doesn't seem too bad....??!!
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Work in progress Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Think you are right, to me the Navman MultiPoint Routing does seem a Work In Progress feature - it appears the have improved since I first got my S90 from being nearly impossible to route multipoints, to now (SP2) being kind of okay, but have tended to keep away from it because of earlier experiences. But playing with it today, it doesn't seem too bad....??!!

Ah, that's interesting - so what improvements would you say SP2 has brought in relation to multi-point?

--

Cheers,

Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: