Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 760T...12 or 24 volt
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 760T...12 or 24 volt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tt4uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Garmin 760T...12 or 24 volt Reply with quote

i have a nuvi 250W and have just purchased a 760T
i use the 250 in my car (12v) and lorry (24v)

i noticed in the instructions for the 760T it says 12v...no mention of 24v

1. can i use the 760T in a 24v socket

2. is there a charger (whilst driving and navigating) that i can use 12/24v without the fm transmitter?

Terry
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin 760T...12 or 24 volt Reply with quote

Notes: The cig. lighter adaptor for the 760 is a 'straight-through' device - the voltage shifting is within the 760 itself - unlike the 250W, who's adaptor converts it to 5V (for input to the mini-usb socket), rather than a cradle.

By FM transmitter - do you mean the FM (Traffic) Receiver? (that ships with the 760T). This is actually powered by the Nüvi, not the cig. lighter (as unintuitive as that seems). In other words, it stills works, even if not plugged in at the cigarette lighter socket end.

You probably ought to ask for Garmin for a definitive answer. I suspect you will be ok, until the day you plug it in, with the 760's battery flat. (and it tries to dissipate 19V at the same time as passing 1A of charging current...) The same may apply to the 250W's adaptor...
tt4uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin 760T...12 or 24 volt Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:

By FM transmitter - do you mean the FM (Traffic) Receiver? (that ships with the 760T). ...

Hi Phil

Yes, the receiver that shipped in the box.

I assume when you plug it in to the computer it charges, therefore
would it charge & operate the maps in car, thru the usb the same as a 250W?
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin 760T...12 or 24 volt Reply with quote

tt4uk wrote:
would it charge & operate the maps in car, thru the usb the same as a 250W?

Yes it would - but it's not quite as convenient as having the power connection to the cradle.

This is the official (non-traffic), car adaptor:- https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1371 for the 760 (and lots of others)

I also came across this on ebay. It claims to support 12 and 24V.
Although described as being for the Zumo / StreetPilot C5xx, it should work with the 760T. (The Streetpilot has the 760 'big flat' (cradle) plug actually built into the unit and also has a mini-USB. In other words, it has the same range of connectors as the 760. The eBay listing isn't clear which connector is actually used - I will bet that it's actually the mini-USB)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: