Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New user observations
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New user observations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: New user observations Reply with quote

I have just got An Active 10 and am extremely impressed with it. First fix from the box (in the car) was achieved in under 2 minutes.

I saw it on Amazon today at £251.38 but I preferred to support my local stockist (who had just had a delivery) I was amazed that he matched the Amazon price without any hesitation. He didnt even check and took my word for it so if anyone else is planning on getting one of these, be prepared to haggle as the margin must be fairly generous. I am deliberately avoiding embarrassement to the shop so am not mentioning them by name. Suffice it to say they are a small outfit - not a national chain.

I want it for cycling so purchased the cycle holder. A bit pricey for what it is but I am really pleased to note that it uses ClickFix mounting so my existing Mapholder bracket fits it perfectly.

I wanted to upload Memory Map routes but I had a few problems getting SatSync to work. I followed all the instructions but just kept asking me to connect and switch on the SatMap device.

After investigation, I discovered that it had not been allocated a drive letter by my PC so I used Disk Management to allocate the drive letter "M" and it immediately started working. I also had the same problem on my laptop and solved it in a similar fashion. This also happens each time I unplug it.

There were no clues as to what was the cause in the help file and I presume that others must experience this frustration. Not everyone would know how to sort it out so it would be good to add this info (or better still, fix the USB firmware so it allocates letters correctly)

Memory map file is now safely imported (remember to use "import" not "copy" file). I got it wrong first time and couldnt work out why it wasnt visible in my Satmap

All in all I am very pleased so far. My main frustration is that there were no OS maps of my area in stock so I cannot use the device yet to its full potential.

Does anyone know how to check the firmware version?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power up the unit and go to Settings, scroll down the options using the joystick and select the "About" option, this will display the version (1,16 is currently the latest public release code).

While you are in settings you might want to turn the Advanced Power option to normal in order to get the Track up heading mode - Mike
reklawpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: New user observations Reply with quote

You should go to 'Settings' (bottom right key wil take you there) and select 'About'. It should be 1.16. If for any reason you have 1.15 then phone Satmap who will send an sd card with the upgrade. You will find they respond better to phone calls than emails.

If you are not aware, there is an user guide in pdf format on their web site which is much better than the brief guide they supply you with.

I thought I did well getting a £30 discount from them at the Outdoors Show so you obviously have a good deal.

As they have still not brought out the online planning (which their MD told me after the Outdoors Show should be ready in a month and it's now 2 months) you should have a look Here it is far easier to plan a route on than on the Satmap itself.
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just had a chance to test my SatMap "in anger".

I did a 100 mile cycle ride from Cheshire to Warwickshire. I created a route in Memory Map which included some interesting minor road alternatives to the busy A41.

The bike mounting was solid, the screen easy to read. Using the buttons one handed was intuitive (more than can be said for my Garmin!). Satellite fix was quick and reliable ( as good as my Garmin and more reliable in woodland)

However I have a few minor wishlist additions which would make the use of the unit easier for the cyclist.

1) I would like to able to change the zoom steps. It would be really useful to be able to swich from a detailed OS view to a larger scale route planning view with a single button press as its difficult to zoom easily on the move

2) It would be nice to be able to change the colour of the route and crumb trail as these got a bit lost at times. The route can be confused with a minor road as the colour is similar.

3) It would be nice to be able to hide/show the route with a single button press as it obscures details at times.

4) It would be useful to be able to switch off the screen to save battery power but leave the unit running. This can only be done through the settings menu as far as I can see

5) When I change the settings, are these meant to persist through a power off/on? They seem to get lost and need resetting each time

6) The only glitch I experienced was when I found my route going into whitespace with no map shown. This was well within the margins of my map but the OS map seemed to come to an end. The only thing that fixed this was switching the machine off and on again. This happened to me twice.

I am really pleased I bought the SatMap. It did just what I wanted and made route finding easy. Luckily I managed to find the central England OS map card at Field & Trek in Chester where they also had a 20% sale Very Happy

Peter
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just had a chance to test my SatMap "in anger".

I did a 100 mile cycle ride from Cheshire to Warwickshire. I created a route in Memory Map which included some interesting minor road alternatives to the busy A41.

The bike mounting was solid, the screen easy to read. Using the buttons one handed was intuitive (more than can be said for my Garmin!). Satellite fix was quick and reliable ( as good as my Garmin and more reliable in woodland)

However I have a few minor wishlist additions which would make the use of the unit easier for the cyclist.

1) I would like to able to change the zoom steps. It would be really useful to be able to swich from a detailed OS view to a larger scale route planning view with a single button press as its difficult to zoom easily on the move

2) It would be nice to be able to change the colour of the route and crumb trail as these got a bit lost at times. The route can be confused with a minor road as the colour is similar.

3) It would be nice to be able to hide/show the route with a single button press as it obscures details at times.

4) It would be useful to be able to switch off the screen to save battery power but leave the unit running. This can only be done through the settings menu as far as I can see

5) When I change the settings, are these meant to persist through a power off/on? They seem to get lost and need resetting each time

6) The only glitch I experienced was when I found my route going into whitespace with no map shown. This was well within the margins of my map but the OS map seemed to come to an end. The only thing that fixed this was switching the machine off and on again. This happened to me twice.

I am really pleased I bought the SatMap. It did just what I wanted and made route finding easy. Luckily I managed to find the central England OS map card at Field & Trek in Chester where they also had a 20% sale Very Happy

Peter
johnjackson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fellow cyclist I would like to make the following comments
Quote:
1) I would like to able to change the zoom steps. It would be really useful to be able to switch from a detailed OS view to a larger scale route planning view with a single button press as its difficult to zoom easily on the move
This would be really useful as the 1:130,000 1:111,000, 1:95,000 settings are not usable for navigation. An option to disable viewing of certain scales would be useful.
Quote:
Agreed Both could be just a hide/show single button
Quote:

I use the following settings
Power Control
Automatic Power saving Always On
Automatic Screen Turn Off Off after 1 minute
Alert When Screen Off Off
Advanced Power Control:-
Power Saving Mode Normal
Advanced Power Control:-
100%

These settings give you power saving without having to switch Off. To restore the display when the screen is Off just press one of the side buttons. In bright sunlight you need 100% brightness on the bike.

Quote:

This is the freeze problem is caused by large maps eg Central England and long routes used by cyclists. Hopefully, this should be resolve with the next software update.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: