Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The snags
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The snags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: The snags Reply with quote

I do not own an Active 10 Satmap but have toyed with idea of buying one. However, two things do deter me.
One. Members complaining about difficulty in getting a satellite lock. I have a TomTom 720 for driving and the satellites bars appear (usually) in seconds. I also have had a Dell Axim PDA with a BT338 GPS receiver and that also picked up the satellites almost straight away. Example: Last year I was on the car deck of the ferry at Calais waiting for the order to disembark and my Tomtom had three satellites and was ready to go even though we were way back in the queue.
I have also turned the device on while zooming up the motorway and it will get a lock within a couple of minutes. What on earth takes the Satmap so long.
Two. Complaints about freezing. I can remember having that trouble with Tomtom 3 and my Ipaq 2210 way back and frustrating it was too. I don’t want to go back to those days.
Have these faults being rectified?
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never really had any trouble with GPS signal acquisition with the active10 I have always treated it in the same way as any other GPS device:
Get out of the car, put the unit on the roof switched on and then get changed into walking boots etc, this takes a few minutes within this time the active10 has acquired a position fix and is ready to go. Whilst in use I never de-power the device as that is asking for trouble and even under deep evergreen coverage it maintains position lock.

Your second issue about lockups has only ever happened to me once after I loaned my device to a mate who was thinking of purchasing one, he was messing around and selected an option that locked the device up completely when using vs1,15 software. A simple update to vs1,16 (the current latest software release at the time of writing this) cured the problem.
I have seen some posts about the device slowing down when loaded up with numerous routes and waypoints but I tend to keep my device clean and only install routes and log files to the map cards rather than the inbuilt memory, so I have never experianced this issue - Mike
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TomTom as well and the SatMap is as good if not better than the TomTom at acquiring lock.

It works inside the house as well which the TomTom doesnt.

I am not sure if the firmware has been updated to improve this but in my opinion, the bad reports that I have read on this are overstated

Peter
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll third (or is that fourth) the above comments. It is slower to acquire lock but once it has it holds on to it. As Mike does, I get out of the car, switch it on and let it do its thing whilst I get my boots on etc.

I've only experienced one lock up, caused by me playing with route import and using a route with a few hundred thousand waypoints. Aide from that it has been very good and I love it!
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike / drpeej / Darren
Ok. I’m glad that you are happy with the Satmap. As you no doubt know, six bad reports will always make more news than 100 good reports. I remember when I was thinking about discarding my PDA/Tomtom 5 and acquiring the Tomtom 720. I read different topics on the forums many of which seemed to advise steering clear of the 720. And after I finally placed my order for the 720 I felt sure that I would live to regret it.
Yet here I am, using the 720 every day and never once has it let me down. In other words, it’s a great device and I suppose the Satmap would do likewise.

By the way, do you still have to remove the batteries when not in use or have they got round to fitting a switch to turn it completely off?
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
By the way, do you still have to remove the batteries when not in use or have they got round to fitting a switch to turn it completely off?

I use the LiPo battery so never remove it, it hasn't been charged for a couple of weeks or used for a week now and still have 3/4 battery charge left.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it looks as though the LiPo battery is a must.

I’m tempted
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought a LiPo battery this afternoon. They are a bit tricky to track down but my local supplier just got one in

Peter

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: