Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 760 track logs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

760 track logs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: 760 track logs Reply with quote

Really pleased with my 760 since updating from my 360 - multiple waypoints at last.

Interesting feature is the track log, which I thought of as a bit of a novelty to start with, but then I began thinking.

I have a utility that allows me to download the log which I can then superimpose over a Google Earth satellite image, allowing to view where I have been on a 'live' image rather than just a map.

One question though. Is the track time stamped at all, as it would occasionally be nice to see where I was at a given time, or what time it was when at a given place?

If it is time stamped, does anyone know how to access the information?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only messed about with this for a few minutes (a while back) but if you import it into MapSource on your PC the log points are time / date stamped if you click on them.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: 760 track logs Reply with quote

Scarecrow wrote:
One question though. Is the track time stamped at all, as it would occasionally be nice to see where I was at a given time, or what time it was when at a given place?

If it is time stamped, does anyone know how to access the information?

The track log's written to CURRENT.GPX and contains entries like:
Code:
 {trkpt lat="53.7523180" lon="-1.3432650"}
    {ele}4.4600000{/ele}
    {time}2008-04-10T21:38:49Z{/time}
  {/trkpt}
  {trkpt lat="53.7521670" lon="-1.3434250"}
    {ele}22.2500000{/ele}
    {time}2008-04-10T21:39:04Z{/time}
  {/trkpt}

which obviously contains positions and time stamps (in ISO 8601 format) (and a rather untrustworthy elevation!). Mapsource can show a vertical profile of your trip and it will compute speeds (ie distance/time) between points.

I've not really investigated software to manipulate this information, but I'll bet there's lot of it about - this is all standard stuff for the traditional handhelds.

I've just raised a fault with Garmin on this subject - I'll be interested as to what, if any response I get. The track log shows me entering a large building, crossing a railway track twice, before finally coming to rest in a field. The vertical profile, shows my descent from 17000' @ 300mph.
Complete gibberish, recorded to 7 decimal places. Rolling Eyes
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that guys. Don't use Mapsource myself, but perhaps I should investigate getting a copy.
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarecrow wrote:
Thanks for that guys. Don't use Mapsource myself, but perhaps I should investigate getting a copy.

you hve already paid for one.... contact garmin and they will provide link to download and your unlock code Very Happy
tt4uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieo wrote:
Scarecrow wrote:

you hve already paid for one.... contact garmin and they will provide link to download and your unlock code Very Happy

Wrong..............i phoned today and was told the price was £49.99
when i told them i had read on this site that it was free, they laughed Embarassed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: