Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI' for France
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI' for France
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timmytomtom
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: POI' for France Reply with quote

Just looked in the POI's for France and there isn't much.
Any ideas where I might get a good number of Supermarkets to download?
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look in these two hope these help

http://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/france/

http://www.poihandler.com
boristhemoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No disrespect, but POIplaza has tons more POI's than this site, and actually far easier to download too.
Sorry Pocket, no offence but credit where credits due.
http://www.poiplaza.com/index.php?p=download&d=857&lstpg2=sdb&lstpg=ds&lsts=_LSTS_
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POIPlaza seems to respect 'Pocket' though - they distribute pirated copies of its camera database! And they don't look that comprehensive to me for France in fact (but it depends what you are looking for). For instance, nothing for Intermarche, Ecomarche, Lidl, Champion, Leclerc, or SuperU (to mention just a few big, good, supermarket chains, some with very cheap petrol; BUT they do have Auchan which IS a very good one!), or, in hotels, no mention of Ibis, Mercure, Campanile, Novotel, etc (though they MIGHT be lumped together in the 'Hotel' category).

timmytomtom - another site is GPSPassion - they have quite a lot of French POIs on their forum (I think it's actually a French forum).

I'd trawl through what sites you can find and do some cherry picking of the most relevant in each one.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at POIPlaza...
I know you've got to start somewhere, but is it really worth distributing categories like "Pizzaria" and "Fish and Chips" that only have one entry?
SanderDolphin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boristhemoggy wrote:
No disrespect, but POIplaza has tons more POI's than this site, and actually far easier to download too.
Sorry Pocket, no offence but credit where credits due.
http://www.poiplaza.com/index.php?p=download&d=857&lstpg2=sdb&lstpg=ds&lsts=_LSTS_
I'm looking for accuracy, and I see that website is missing my nearest Morrisons, built a couple of years ago, and seems to be missing Tesco's Carmarthen - they've had a Tesco there longer than I've been alive! It's also missing the new(ish) Tesco from Swansea Central.

Shell Petrol stations are missing Gorseinon, appear to have a (gone 10+ years) one from Sandy, shows a Shell at a motorway services which went to BP a good few years ago, and shows two for Mumbles when there's only one.

They may have "more" on a count, but when you look at the quality of the info, then no disrespect, but I think I'll pass for the moment.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I had a look at POIPlaza...
I know you've got to start somewhere, but is it really worth distributing categories like "Pizzaria" and "Fish and Chips" that only have one entry?

I completely agree, but then again, PGPSW have categories containing 17 estate agents, 1 civic centre or 3 Co-op banks, so we have to be a bit careful of criticising them on that front.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too true...

I don't think things like that enhance anyone's reputation, unless you state in big red letters something like: "this is a work in progress, please upload all your additions to make this project worthwhile"

Unless of course you then start charging for them.....
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low numbers are always something to check - after all, the POIs depend upon people submitting what they know about; but it's usually clear how useful a category is going to be - and some sites will have more entries than others. And I guess you can always amalgamate from different sites where you are really interested in something particular.

Another useful set BTW (I hope he doesn't mind me keep plugging it) is MaFt's Garmin POIs, on here - if you like any they can always be converted if necessary. I've found some of them pretty useful.

Anyway, I certainly won't be beating a path to POIPlaza, even if boristhemoggy finds them to be the 'best thing since sliced bread' (and we all know how good that is)!

A thought - is it worth creating a POI sticky where useful POI sites can be mentioned, as something that someone can go to if they want to get useful info about possible categories of interest?
boristhemoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually big dick, oh sorry bigdork, oh whatever your name is. I don't think they're the best thing since sliced bread, I merely said they had more French POI's and it was easier to download. I'm being helpful why are you being a complete pr1ck?
This site has it's positives as do others. I use about 8 in total and none is way better than any other. POI plaza has some very good points as do most sites that I use including this one although downloading here is fudgy as hell.
I think recommending diff sites is ok, that's what the internet is about.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Googled a link ('france points interest') which may be of use to you timmytomtom
Quote:
http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48427
Haven't looked at it closely but hope it helps.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boristhemoggy, we always welcome constructive criticism of PocketGPSWorld in our own forums as we wish to constantly improve and be the best.

However as this is a family orientated forum, name calling, especially using offensive words is never acceptable! Further more your outburst was unnecessary as all participants in this thread were offering positive advice.

Please cease and desist from this sort of behaviour and we will welcome you as a contributor to this forum.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that, Privateer. I didn't take offence, though I was a bit surprised I must say! But I just assumed it was the first couple of postings from someone with a connection to the site in question...

AAAHH!! - I've only just noticed that timmytomtom's post was made last year, not actually a current enquiry at all D'oh! All that effort to try and help - I wouldn't have bothered at all if I had been more observant!
boristhemoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
boristhemoggy, we always welcome constructive criticism of PocketGPSWorld in our own forums as we wish to constantly improve and be the best.

However as this is a family orientated forum, name calling, especially using offensive words is never acceptable! Further more your outburst was unnecessary as all participants in this thread were offering positive advice.

Please cease and desist from this sort of behaviour and we will welcome you as a contributor to this forum.

Apart from fudgy downloading I haven't got many criticisms os this site, although no one site can do it all I have no allegiance to any of them. I use this one mostly as it's the first one I ever found.

I appreciate that you may well be sticking up for a family member, but I was re-acting, to a childish and immature and factually incorrect comment.
As long as I don't receive sarcastic and immature comments I'm happy to be a positive contributing member of this site.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boristhemoggy wrote:
I appreciate that you may well be sticking up for a family member

I can assure you that that wasn’t the case. I don’t personally know BigPerk. Regardless of whom you were replying to, any moderator or staff would have jumped in at that point to warning about offensive words.

boristhemoggy wrote:
... I was re-acting, to a childish and immature and factually incorrect comment.

I have read and reread the thread several times and I honestly can’t see anything that warranted the outburst that you wrote.

boristhemoggy wrote:
As long as I don't receive sarcastic and immature comments I'm happy to be a positive contributing member of this site.

I can assure you that everybody in this forum community also do not wish to receive sarcastic and immature comments

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: