Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Want europe so should I get one XL or Go 730
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Want europe so should I get one XL or Go 730
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben_e71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Want europe so should I get one XL or Go 730 Reply with quote

Had a one version 2 regional for a year or so. Need to update it to have europe mapping for an upcoming holiday so decided a new tomtom would be a nicer treat than just some maps.

Also just change jobs and will be driving a lot more.

So question is is it worth the extra £100 to get the Go just for IQ route and the lane thingy (I won't use the bluetooth phone or ipod thingy)?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IQ routes are quite good from what I have seen, but if you have no need for the handsfree, FM Tx, MP3 player etc then I would go for the One XL v9 (this is the one with the fancy new mount that looks like a small cup holder) - Mike
ben_e71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Mike - does anyone know of a one xl with the lane stuff and IQ routes upcoming?

Also am I right in reading the tomtom site that the one XL doesn't support traffic over GPRS?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IQ Routes and Lane Guidance appear to only be available on the x20, x30 and one would assume the x40 range, the One devices have allways had a slightly lower spec which is reflected in their cheaper purchase price.

With the new One XL devices there is no Bluetooth fitted so Traffic is only (currently) available using the RDS-TMC receiver, although the One XL HD Traffic version is being sold in Holland so I would expect it to work in the UK when the service is made available, and the HD Receivers start to be sold over here, this does use GPRS - Mike
ben_e71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
IQ Routes and Lane Guidance appear to only be available on the x20, x30 and one would assume the x40 range, the One devices have allways had a slightly lower spec which is reflected in their cheaper purchase price.

With the new One XL devices there is no Bluetooth fitted so Traffic is only (currently) available using the RDS-TMC receiver, although the One XL HD Traffic version is being sold in Holland so I would expect it to work in the UK when the service is made available, and the HD Receivers start to be sold over here, this does use GPRS - Mike

yet my current one regional (v2 or 2nd edition) has the grps link. The models are so confusing.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early One devices and the original One XL all had Bluetooth, only the later devices don't have Bluetooth these are:

One v6 One Third Edition European coverage
One v7 One Third Edition Regional coverage
One v8 New One with Easy Port Mount
One v9 New One XL with Easy Port Mount

The Ones with Bluetooth are:

One v1 The original One device
One v2 NEVER EXISTED
One v3 One Second Edition
One v4 One with SD card slot and Flash memory
One v5 Original One XL

So is it any wonder users of these devices get confused by all the different types that exist under the product name "One" - I have been creating a post with pictures and descriptions of each of the range, but still need some pictures of the One v3 Second Edition to complete it - if you have a digital camera I would appreciate a couple of pictures if possible - Mike
ben_e71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some links here

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Ben, much appreciated, I have re-sized the pictures and will be using them for the "Which One Have I got" thread only one other device missing now, but I can live with that for the time being - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

One v9 New One XL with Easy Port Mount

With my pedant's hat on Mike....
I'm pretty sure the v9 is called the "TomTom XL" (in the UK at least!), there's no mention of the word "One" any more.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

You may want to keep the One and the (One) XL separate. I believe the current XL is the v4 of that model alone.

The original "Classic" has no memory. The v2 and v3 are for regional and Europe and have some memory (can't remember exactly). That makes the "New" XL with easyport the v4.

Never mind the other options eg XL-S in the states. Smile
Brodit ProClip mount
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the One XL Classic I have equipped with an SD card slot and 1GB of built in memory doesn't exist then?
Confusion is a major problem with the various One devices, a better model naming structure would be far easier than the current 9 different devices under the One banner

The TomTom XL with the easy port mount is actually a v9 when you look at what Home thinks is connected, and a One v2 never existed - Mike
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think I would be using the Traffic on my Go730T or would be that interested in the Lane Guidance when I brought it but I was very wrong.

I have just returned from Ireland driving from the South coast of England to Scotland then toured Ireland & the lane guidance & traffic worked a treat & were very handy.

I would take a good look at the 730T
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maca2 wrote:
I didn't think I would be using the Traffic on my Go730T or would be that interested in the Lane Guidance when I brought it but I was very wrong.

I have just returned from Ireland driving from the South coast of England to Scotland then toured Ireland & the lane guidance & traffic worked a treat & were very handy.

Are you serious?

The screen sucks in the sunshine
The device re-boots without warning in the middle of a trip.
It cant prounounce the roads properly, its text to speech is rubbish in this respect.
The FM Radio output is next to useless.

And the above is within 16 days of having the device. I got £150 of Comet vouchers, went for the top name in Tom Tom and now regret that decision. Other than lane guidance, my old Garmin Nuvi 360 embarrases the Tom Tom and thats just plain sad considering I had that for over 12 months.

Mabsey
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mabsey wrote:
maca2 wrote:

Are you serious?

It cant prounounce the roads properly, its text to speech is rubbish in this respect.

And the above is within 16 days of having the device. I got £150 of Comet vouchers, went for the top name in Tom Tom and now regret that decision. Other than lane guidance, my old Garmin Nuvi 360 embarrases the Tom Tom and thats just plain sad considering I had that for over 12 months.

Mabsey

Yes very serious.

Mine works just fine.

You must have a duff & I suggest you return it & stick with Garmin.
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maca2 wrote:
mabsey wrote:
maca2 wrote:

Are you serious?

Mabsey

Yes very serious.

Mine works just fine.

You must have a duff & I suggest you return it & stick with Garmin.

So when sun shines on your screen you can see it?
And the text to speech actually pronounces the roads so you can understand them? Come on.

I've since read some reviews on various websites and the above are the top two gripes for this unit and I'm outside the 14 days to get my money back.

This model is supposed to be one of the top, and it simple sux in the two areas above that other Sat Nav's have been doing for over 12 months without problems.

I didn't think to read reviews, because I just went for the good name of Tom Tom, and didnt realise they could release something as Duff.

If your thinking of buying a 730, go read some reviews first, and dont be dissapointed if you still decide to buy it.

Mabsey

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: