Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Download
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Download

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alio1326
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: POI Download Reply with quote

Hi All
Need a bit of help downloading PGPSW POIs. here is my question, just got new 4gig SDHC card on which I want to load the POIs onto.
Now to do this dose the card need to be in the 720 or in my card reader which I prefer as I am not confident and don't want upset the sat nav. I have looked at loads of threds on the forums but none seem to say this is how you load to SD card. So if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Then once I can get my head round this download I will be able to move on to Cameras as I assume it will be the same procedure.
Thanks Alan.
hudster
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using windows explorer, navigate to your Tomtom, and put the POIs in the same folder as your maps.

Make sure you have backed up your tomtom first though.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to expand on that a bit...
All POIs must be put into the same folder as the map that you want them to work with is.

If your 720 is as it was "out of the box", then the map resides on the 2GB internal memory and so you are going to HAVE to use the TT rather then a card reader.

When you connect a 720 to the PC it will be recognised by Windows as TWO new drives (the internal memory and the SD card slot).
you will need to put your POI files into the "Western Europe" folder.

BUT MAKE A FULL BACKUP FIRST (with Windows Explorer, not Home), in case anything goes wrong. Instructions are in the TomTom FAQs in the "sticky" topics at the top of the TomTom section of the forum (see HERE)

If you wished, you could move the entire Western Europe map folder (or even EVERYTHING) over to the SD card and use that, but not a lot of point really....
So I'm afraid you've either wasted your money, or you could always fill the SD card up with music!
Alio1326
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hudster & Andy All my 720 as had is the v720 maps and 1mp3 album.
My thinking was if the G720 as a 2gig internal memory and the backups show as 1.73gig there is not much room left for PGPSW speed cameras and POIs. would deleting the foreign language voices help ? as I think as I recall are about 5 or 6 mb each.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing unwanted voices will save quite a bit of memory.

The Camera Database is well short of 1MB and that includes all the cameras, icons, and sound files.

As the Backup shows as 1.73GB then 270MB to put the Database in is a drop in the ocean. Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Alio1326
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard that explanation as really put it all in perspective for me I didn't realize the size of the other files I wanted. thanks again.
Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: