Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom720(T). Just Pootling about.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom720(T). Just Pootling about.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: TomTom720(T). Just Pootling about. Reply with quote

Chaps,
Generally, many of my journeys are to 'known' destinations (or the first few hundered miles could be)...so I don't need directions all the time, just warnings of speed cams etc (I can't remember where they all are..or could be).
With the Medion I could just drive & the satnav would display the map & any POIs whilst I pootled along.

Is this possible with the 720?

If so, what do I do pls?

Cheers & Thanks
Dave.
Running Cameralert via Samsung S7 Edge
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom720(T). Just Pootling about. Reply with quote

DaveNN wrote:
Chaps,
Generally, many of my journeys are to 'known' destinations (or the first few hundered miles could be)...so I don't need directions all the time, just warnings of speed cams etc (I can't remember where they all are..or could be).
With the Medion I could just drive & the satnav would display the map & any POIs whilst I pootled along.

Is this possible with the 720?

If so, what do I do pls?

Cheers & Thanks
Dave.

You press the clear route icon......!!!
SORRY!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressing "Route Clear" might do what you want BUT, if when you set up the POI Speed Camera warnings how did you set up the "Warn only if POI on route" checkbox? - if you selected it the device will only ever warn if a POIis on your route.

No Route = No Warnings

You can de-select the Warn only if POI on route checkbox for each POI and your theory above will work fine - Mike
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Pressing "Route Clear" might do what you want BUT, if when you set up the POI Speed Camera warnings how did you set up the "Warn only if POI on route" checkbox? - if you selected it the device will only ever warn if a POIis on your route.

No Route = No Warnings

You can de-select the Warn only if POI on route checkbox for each POI and your theory above will work fine - Mike

A good point well made, I'm about to go for a pootle about now & see what happens.

Bearing in mind that the icons would still be visible on the map, so I should be alert enough to spot them prior to pootling past them.
I did use the warn if on route option, as I didn't want false alarms.
Will deselect that option & see what happens.

Cheers
Dave
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about trying silent voice. There was link posted here some time ago.

Its just a silent voice (nobody talking to you), so as a result you will have your directions displayed by your device and poi warnings will be your only sound you will hear.

There were also a couple of variations of silent voice (with small beep before the turn for example).
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kichu1979 wrote:
How about trying silent voice. There was link posted here some time ago.

Its just a silent voice (nobody talking to you), so as a result you will have your directions displayed by your device and poi warnings will be your only sound you will hear.

There were also a couple of variations of silent voice (with small beep before the turn for example).

Mmmmm worth consideration.
I've just had a pootle about ...first with the warn if on route ticked, I noticed the POIs flashing up no problem at all.
The unticked the option & no false alarms.
However, as I have 50/60/70 mobiles set at 900 yards- I suspect that I could get false alarms with them. OK, I accept that I could reduce this warning distance somewhat...but some of these ruddy cameras can spot you from one hell of a distance. M75 is notoriously bad for them! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
As an ex Medion 205 (now selling at £45.00) user, this TT is a big leap forward to me. The Bluetooth kit works great, as does the text reading facility. But the pootling mode worked great on the Medion.

Cheers
Dave
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is one of the problems you have if you choose not to activate the warn only when on route!! you do get a lot of false warning especially on motorways when roads cross over it
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
Yes that is one of the problems you have if you choose not to activate the warn only when on route!! you do get a lot of false warning especially on motorways when roads cross over it

I'm sure that TT have considered this issue & a fix will soon be on its way!!!
I'm also sure that Prescott was bulimic, Saddam had WMDs & that Carole Vordermann REALLY thinks that it's a good idea to consolidate all your loans into one EASY payment... Laughing
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better option would be warn when on road, ie warn when it is on same road as you
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick-uk wrote:
The better option would be warn when on road, ie warn when it is on same road as you

Mmmmm..but the TT doesn't allow that (or does it???)
As noted above, it gives you the option to warn on route (i.e a planned route to a given address) BUT when I'm just pootling....I don't have a route to be warned about.
It's just a case of what's the lesser of two evils.
I'll set it up to be just warned on route, with the exception of high(er) speed mobile cameras.

Thanks anyhow, any support with these TT's is appreciated.

Dave
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ALWAYS have a route selected (except when I'm picking up my pension at the local Post Office) and cameras set to warn only when on route. I have changed preferences to disable voice (nav instructions) on two of my devices (in case they argue among themselves), but bear in mind if you use Bluetooth with your phone, you can't have text messages read out to you if the (computer) voice is disabled.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off subject of OP, I have my POI's set to "warn only if on route" but I still get warnings from nearby camera's on motorways etc.
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think this has been answered at length already (sure I saw it this morning), but yes... it happens. Blame TomTom making it more sensitive in recent software versions. Nothing we as users can do other than moan at them.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick-uk wrote:

Bear in mind though, one of the reasons I cite when defending this Policy/Behaviour (my old CoPilot would only warn if on the actual road you were travelling, and also had an option to warn when not driving a route, but again only if the camera was on the current road)...

...Is this: If the TT ONLY warned for cameras on your current road, and NOT for simple distance proximity, which includes side roads etc, then picture this. scenario...

You are driving down a dual carriageway, with a 70mph limit....

You have your Warning Indication distance for Speed Camera Alerts set quite far, so the beggars don't get you early...

You notice a traffic snarl up ahead, just as you approach a slip-road you know you can take off locally, and get back on to where you want to be soon after.

So you take the slip road off.

And WOH BEEJEEZUS WHAT WAS THAT - OH NO!!!

You turned off the dual carriageway, onto the local road that curves nicely, so you were still doing a fair old speed, and you just passed a Speed Camera Van that likely flashed you!

Oh hell.

A Camera Van you WERE NOT ALERTED TO, because with it being so close to you, when you deviated away from the route the TT thought you were going to take, the device never had a chance to "Recalculate Route" and so it never warned you of the camera with it not "Being On Current Road" at that time.

Or more realistically, and more likely, using our same scenario, you turn off the dual carriageway, on to the fast curving slip road, and the device DOES manage to recalculate route, BUT, your warning distances are set for nearly a mile to give you time to slow down, but you instead get warned of a camera only 100 yards away, and you were still travelling too fast even with heavy (and UNSAFE) braking to try and slow down.

Because in this more realistic scenario, the device will instantly alert you to this new camera off the side slip as soon as you go onto the new route, because in so doing, you are far too close to it - but it never alerted you a mile away like your other ones do, because until you suddenly took the exit slip, it wasn't even ON your route, for it to know to alert you.

In short, the TT alerts you by PROXIMITY all round, not just on current roads, because it's quite impossible to know if you might suddenly change road or route.

I much prefer this, to turning off a calculated route only to face a sudden camera.

Hope this makes sense, and makes you consider this behaviour in a more favourable light.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure you're strictly correct, shadamehr.

Close to where I live the A34 runs from Solihull southbound to the M42. On this stretch there are two Gatsos on each side of the road. Under old versions of TomTom, I used to get warned about the 2 southbound cameras, and 1 of the northbound cameras.

My assumption was that this was because it was technically feasible to drive round a roundabout and back up past this northbound camera within the 300 yard limit I had set for such fixed cameras. This could be deemed as being similar to your sudden exit off the motorway example.

Conversely, it was not possible to get to the other northbound camera within the 300 yard limit by means of ordinary roads.

With later versions of TomTom, I now get warned of all four cameras, so it is clear that the proximity range has been increased to gather up all nearby POIs. I suspect (though I haven't found one yet) that it will be possible to find an example of a POI outside the proximity range, but still within the POI warning limit that has been set.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: