Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2210 or 4150 or maybe something entirely different!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2210 or 4150 or maybe something entirely different!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: 2210 or 4150 or maybe something entirely different! Reply with quote

Last week I was trying to find my way to a place in Kent by myself and as usual in this situation found that by the time the car had got to the correct motorway off ramp, I'd completely forgotton the directions. Driving whilst trying to read a map isn't a great idea, but you're not supposed to pull over on the motorway either, so its time for a better solution. After lurching round the internet, I found this site (very informative chaps) and came to the conclusion that TomTom 2 + iPAQ2210 seems a popular solution.

Having had a succession of Palm Pilots over the years, I was also keen to note the new Tom Tom navigator for Palm, but note that it requires a T3, which means replacing my lowly original Tungsten T. There also appears to be a product from Kirro, which will run on a T2 or a T3. Choices Choices.

However the kicker appears to be the Points of Interest (or lack of). Reading the selection posted on this website, and being a keen visitor to Nation Trust properties, Museums & Zoos (anything to get out of the house basically), this seems very attractive. Am I right in assuming that you can search POI - i.e. just type in part of the name and get a list of matches?

The POI databases all appear to be for Tom Tom. Some of the other products also appear to support POI, but it isn't really clear in some cases whether these are user databases, or you are just stuck with what the manufacturer included. Also is it possible to convert the Tom Tom format POI to any other formats - i.e. if I want user programmable POI is the choice limited to Tom Tom, or are there any other products that should be considered?

It appears from other forum posts that the Tom Tom for Palm T3 does not support user PIO databases (what where they thinking). So that seems to suggest a pocket PC purchase. Going down to PCWorld and playing on their handhelds has given me pause for thought on the ipaq 2210. I couldn't get on with the pointer button, which seemed sloppy & difficult to access menus - kept getting 'up' instead of 'right' and such like. Now, it could be that the display model was 'shagged out' and perhaps it's not as bad as all that - comments please. On the other hand the 4150, which was going for only about £40 more was nice. The 4150 seemed (to me) to be easier to operate and a bit smaller to boot. It also has wireless networking, although that is not a great hit with me since i'm not using it.

There is also the Bluetooth issue, which may also be a battery recharging issue. Reading various posts, has indicated that the death rate of bluetooth gps mice is rather high, making me think that a wired receiver may be a better bet. Also on the side of a wired receiver is the battery issue. The house is full of chargers for battery powered this and that & it's getting hard to move for all the chargers. Really all that I need is something that plugs into the ciggy lighter for power, sits on the dashboard & tells me the turns. The new Tom Tom GO would do that, but lacks the POI - One could do without perhaps, but then, maybe an iPAQ solution isn't much more complex.

So in summary there's a few questions:
1. user POI databases - does this mean choice is limited to TT3 on a PPC?
2. 2210/4150 - is the 2210 cursor button as bad as all that?
3. Wired/Bluetooth - Will wired work on 4150?
4. Batteries - How to keep the number of chargers under control.

Dazed & Confused

Alan 8O
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yes TT3 is the best solution here (PocketPC)
2. No, never been an issue for me
3. Bluetooth is best, TT have resolved the issue with their BT receivers and the BT GPS Issue is not issue at all if you don't plan to use another GPS app at the same time as TomTom and if you do their is a simple solution.
4. With a 2210 and TT BT GPS you can use the same charger, this would also apply for a number of other BT GPS that share the same connector.

It will all become cleared but a 2210 or 4150 with TTN3 and a BT GPS will serve you well Thumbs Up
AlanW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Thanks for the response. I'll have another look at the 2210. Being able to use the same charger for the 2210 & TT BT GPS certainly would make life easier. Is their any way to recharge the BT GPS from the car battery, for when i'm on my hols, since i often camp & hence have no mains supply for recharging?

Alan
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decisions, decisions eh ?

1. Custom POI's are limited really to TTN2, TTN3 and ALK CoPilot Live
2. 2210, superb! Not good for playing games much.
3. Wired will work on all iPAQ's, if you're using it in-car most of the time, go for a wired (mouse) GPS, they power the GPS and charge the iPAQ at the same time :D
4. Can't help you there, I've got 24 power sockets in my office in-use and I'm going to add another 16 because I just have far too many chargers! Oh and 8 sockets in-car 8O Laughing

Also if you're free next Sunday up at Fleet then I'll bring along a Tungsten T2 with Kirrio.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to re-charging the BT Receiver away from mains, you can charge the BT receiver using the same cigarette lighter lead that powers the iPAQ so that will allow you to charge it when away camping.
AlanW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Thanks for the info. 2210 + TT3 sounds good. Still considering wired versus bluetooth. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with too many chargers Wink Found the thread about the meet on the 28th which is only down the road from me, so may well pop in for a chat.

Darren, Sounds like a BT GPS Mouse is a viable solution as well as a wired mouse. Seems to me that wired might be best if i forget to charge up the mouse before a long trip, but their would be more choices to position the BT mouse (rear parcel shelf perhaps). Also, the BT mouse could come with me walking, but a map & compass are usually fine for my infrequent modest outings.

TTFN

Alan
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget you can always charge and use the BT GPS at the same time, Halfords do a simple 2-1 cigarette lighter adapter.

Please do pop along to our meet-up, there are a few others planning to attend who are just at the deciding stage and it would be useful to see your options in the flesh before you commit the cash.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: