Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - please help - confusing software update options for 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

please help - confusing software update options for 720
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuyler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: please help - confusing software update options for 720 Reply with quote

hi there,

was wondering if someone could help me on sorting out all the steps I need to go through to get my TT 720 up-to-date for the first time. it has been 20 days since I bought my 720 and have so far been very happy with it. however, apart from doing a standard backup as directed on this forum, I haven't wanted to risk connecting to tomtom home yet, since not only is there a buggy software version being pushed, but I didn't want to accidentally download a map prematurely. anyway, I believe the steps I need to carry out (in no particular order) include:

1. tomtom home - install old version via CD and then upgrade to newest, or just install newest right away?

2. firmware version - I know I should use 7.221 from oldboy, but is it easy enough to reject an upgrade to v7.48x whenever connected to TT home?

3. latest map - is v7.20 western europe a stable release? a bit paranoid after the ongoing firmware fiasco!

4. safety camera updates - alas since I live in NL the pocketgpsworld database won't be of much use, or will it?

so if anyone could tell me how to carry out the steps, in which order, and of course whether I've missed any steps out, I would be very grateful. thanks in advance!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: please help - confusing software update options for 720 Reply with quote

kuyler wrote:
1. tomtom home - install old version via CD and then upgrade to newest, or just install newest right away?

2. firmware version - I know I should use 7.221 from oldboy, but is it easy enough to reject an upgrade to v7.48x whenever connected to TT home?

3. latest map - is v7.20 western europe a stable release? a bit paranoid after the ongoing firmware fiasco!

4. safety camera updates - alas since I live in NL the pocketgpsworld database won't be of much use, or will it?

so if anyone could tell me how to carry out the steps, in which order, and of course whether I've missed any steps out, I would be very grateful. thanks in advance!
1. Install whichever you please - then Home will offer you an update to the latest version.

2. When you are offered firmware update, it is listed with a check alongside to download and install - just uncheck it. You will have to do that every time you check for updates because it will be listed again.

3. Latest map. I am being offered v7.15, NOT v7.20 (I am arguing with TomTom over this). I don't think maps become unstable - they just have good or bad details of roads. Logic would suggest the latest map has better details, but in the past they have sometimes been worse, because TomTom have been reducing some details to make maps fit into smaller memory.

4. We don't have a lot of cameras for NL at the moment (I think only about 100), but we are looking to expand the database worldwide, so we'd be VERY grateful if you reported any. Then it will become more useful every time it is improved by your reports. We also have cameras for Belgium, Germany and France for when you travel.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of safety cameras, if you report the ones in your local area and encourage your friends/colleagues to do so as well we are offering free lifetime subscriptions for such reports where they are for cameras we do not yet have.

Doing so will then give you access to our database covering 40 countries world-wide. We are working hard to improve coverage, we now have excellent coverage in France and Italy and other European countries are getting better all the time.
kuyler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help guys.

I anticipated something silly regarding the latest map! have only 9 days left of my "latest map guarantee" so may wait a short while, hoping that TT set v7.20 as the correct latest map in the next few days. that said, in the "latest map guarantee not working" thread I did notice a post only today from someone claiming they had successfully upgraded to v7.20 using the guarantee so maybe it's ok now?!

about the safety cameras, is it possible to have the pocketgpsworld database on top of the TT one? otherwise it alas isn't worth it for me to subscribe since you guys currently only have 100 in NL right? but yeah will have a look for some and will let you know if I find a new one.

btw, I know I have to install the firmware version 7.221 manually, but is it better if I do this after I do all the other installs (except the buggy firmware of course) via TT home?

thanks in advance! Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuyler wrote:
about the safety cameras, is it possible to have the pocketgpsworld database on top of the TT one? otherwise it alas isn't worth it for me to subscribe since you guys currently only have 100 in NL right? but yeah will have a look for some and will let you know if I find a new one.

Absolutely possible to have both installed but you don't have to subscribe to report them. We're offering free subscriptions to non-subscribers outside of the UK as part of our drive to expand the quality of the database Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuyler wrote:
I did notice a post only today from someone claiming they had successfully upgraded to v7.20 using the guarantee so maybe it's ok now?!
Are you sure? I've been watching for that sort of post myself, to indicate it's happened - I thought that post was that somebody had been given it on his account by TomTom, which is the way many people (including me for another 2 devices) got theirs last time we had this same stupidity. I didn't hear of anybody who actually got it through clicking the Latest Map Guarantee button - I could be wrong.

I have tried clicking again tonight and find the website is not responding, so I'm still at the position where the latest map I'm offered is only 715.

May I recommend you to make sure if you don't get the 720 map very soon, start a question with TomTom so that at least you have made a claim inside the 30 (or maybe 28) days. My claim has been going for a week now and I shall insist they knew about it before the time ended. You should do the same. Make sure you have a scanned copy of your purchase receipt to attach to your question to prove date of purchase.

Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denis, Drudeboy wrote yesterday in
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=61149&start=465

Quote:
Didn't work yesterday, but just tried today and it worked and installed v720.1803 on my 520. Perfect timing really as my 720 is 27 days old.

LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, i got the 7.20 maps yesterday. I mailed TomTom, had to go through the usual game of "wait And See" plus the "server is Down".
On Monday i sent another mail asking what is i am supposed to do, and are TomTom going to honour the LMG.
On Tuesday i checked the status of my question and was a little pee'ed off to see it was logged as "answered".
After another mail informing TomTom of my other options if they are just going to waste my time, you can imagine my surprise when yesterday it was available for download. Exclamation Exclamation
kuyler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, things seem to be falling into place and I am preparing to take the plunge this evening. have already done the manual backup of my 720 using the instructions on this forum.

the remaining open issues:

latest map - I currently have WE v7.05. when upgrading, I presume it's just a straightforward overwrite of the old map? in any case, I'll be sure to post an update in that other topic once I know if v7.20 is correctly offered to me as the latest map. if it isn't, I'll follow DennisN's advice and open a support ticket.

firmware version - I currently have the ancient 7.010 firmware, and know I need to manually upgrade to 7.221 through oldboy's site. is it ok if I do this after all the other steps or is it better to have a more up-to-date firmware before doing most/all of the other upgrades?

safety camera database - in the version information page I can't see any info as to the version of the safety camera info. are the safety cameras linked to the map version? also, Darren you said it was possible to have both the TT and PGPSW databases installed - in such a case don't you get a lot of speed cameras that are reported double? for example in the PGPSW database you guys add one that TT doesn't have yet, and then in the next TT update they do in fact include it...

thanks again for all the help! Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuyler wrote:

latest map - I currently have WE v7.05. when upgrading, I presume it's just a straightforward overwrite of the old map?

Some people say that the new map has overwritten their old one, but I can honestly say whenever I have downloaded new maps (for 3 different machines), it has always downloaded to the PC and only when that has finished does it attempt to port it across to the TomTom, which it does as a new map folder, NOT overwriting the old one.. If there is not enough room, Home stops the process and suggests what you might want to remove in order to make room.

Quote:
firmware version - I currently have the ancient 7.010 firmware, and know I need to manually upgrade to 7.221 through oldboy's site. is it ok if I do this after all the other steps or is it better to have a more up-to-date firmware before doing most/all of the other upgrades?

So long as you have some form of v7 software, you should be able to download and use v7 maps.

Quote:
safety camera database - in the version information page I can't see any info as to the version of the safety camera info. are the safety cameras linked to the map version?

PGPSW camera database always has a text file in the download called "release.txt" with the version number and date (when MaFt remembers to update it! Wink )
I think that Home will tell you the version number (but not date) of the TomTom supplied database.
Their camera database version is not linked to the map version in any way.

Quote:
also, Darren you said it was possible to have both the TT and PGPSW databases installed - in such a case don't you get a lot of speed cameras that are reported double? for example in the PGPSW database you guys add one that TT doesn't have yet, and then in the next TT update they do in fact include it...

Yes you would... although your definition of "a lot" may be tested a bit with TomTom's own efforts! Laughing .
I assume that what Darren was suggesting was to leave the TT-supplied data on the device, but to switch it off when you don't need it or want it (which you do in the "TomTom Plus Services" menu on the device).
kuyler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once again thanks to everyone for your patient help!

I managed to get the latest version of TomTom HOME installed. next I'm trying to use the Latest Map Guarantee to check if v7.20 is available for me. however, when I select "use latest map guarantee" it just says:

Quote:
Your new map is available. Click 'Get It now' to download and install it for free.

sorry for being overly cautious, but is it expected that I can't see which map version is available on this screen? would have thought it would tell you the version number before asking you to confirm whether you want it! and I definitely wouldn't want to click "get it now" only for TomTom HOME to emit an evil laugh and bring up a message saying, "downloading v7.15 now..."
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you click "Get it Now", the next screen shows up saying the map name and More info.
Clicking on More info gets the information for you. If it's not v720, click on the Back button until you get back to the Home front end screen. Then (top left) Device .... Disconnect Device.... OK, then wait until your device reboots and asks if you want to connect to computer, answer NO and THEN you can disconnect safely.

kuyler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot DennisN, indeed I am now correctly offered v720 so have commenced the download.

I also managed to upgrade the firmware to 7.221 through oldboy's site. after this just the safety cameras and mapshare I suppose!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuyler wrote:
thanks a lot DennisN, indeed I am now correctly offered v720 so have commenced the download.

And I have just checked again and I'm still being offered v715 . If you live anywhere near Heerlen, I'll get my Dutch friend to come round and knock your house down!! Twisted Evil

kuyler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
And I have just checked again and I'm still being offered v715 . If you live anywhere near Heerlen, I'll get my Dutch friend to come round and knock your house down!! Twisted Evil

Smile but really I don't understand how it could be any different for you though, hope this isn't a common occurrence at TomTom!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: