Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Where's my free camera update for TT One XL?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Where's my free camera update for TT One XL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Astronut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Where's my free camera update for TT One XL? Reply with quote

Got myself a One XL this weekend to replace my pda tomtom3 and very nice it is too Smile

According to the free services leaflet I get a free map update (done that),
mapshare for 1 year (done that) and a free safety camera update.

According to the leaflet supplied with the documentation, all I have to do to get it is "Simply connect your TomTom One XL to your computer with TomTom Home and an internet connection". Does this mean it's updated automatically in the background or do I have to select it in the updates page?

According to the updates page in TomTom Home2 I get a free application update and a free download of QuickGPSfix but if I click on the 'more info' link for 'Safety Cameras UK TomTom' it costs £16.60.

Where's my free update?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you click on "Update my ONE", it goes to a screen where it seeks out the updates due to you. It lists them all (Map, QuickGPSfix, Map corrections from Mapshare) and cameras would probably have been the last one on the list. When you click on GO or whatever, it all happens, download and install, progress bars filling up and so on.

If you didn't get the cameras, you'll get them if you update again. But I suspect you did get them, doesn't take long, no great fanfares or anything.

Before you think about paying them the £16.60, read THIS

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What verson of cameras is on your XL? I know it's a long shot but have you considered that there hasn't yet been an update to what you already have?
Astronut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly won't be paying for a yearly subscription to TomTom's speed camera database. I'm not sure which version of the database I've got and I'm fairly sure I haven't received a free update. I'm assuming it's already up to date but no matter.
Having used it now for a week I'm not too impressed - cameras missing, sometimes incorrect speed limit sign displayed, etc.
I do like the speed limit sign flashing in the upper left corner though - that is a nice touch.

I already have a subscription to PocketGPSWorld's database and I'll be installing that soon. I was using that on my outdated pda + tomtom3.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will gain even more though by using the database from this site, you can have the full icon set, spoken alerts, and reliable camera warnings in just a few minutes set-up time This Page is a good one to start from as it contains all the necessary links, oh and you will still get the flashing warning - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you get both the normal size and the double size icon sets (designed by our GerryC), you'll get a really nice LARGE flashing icon in the top left AND it'll be a relevant icon (TomTom's are often contradictory).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Astronut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Smile Thanks for the links and info.
I've added that to my 'things to do' list but top priority at the moment is nursing my laptop back to health.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: