Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cyclops subscription questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cyclops subscription questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spdgps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Cyclops subscription questions Reply with quote

I'm trying to decide between a TT One Europe and a Nuvi 250...

Garmin have an arrangement with Cyclops for their camera data, but I'm troubled by this statement on Garmin's website, especially the bold text...

"Free trial

Get your free database trial now, and update your Garmin unit daily or as frequently as you want in that period for all changes to safety camera locations across the UK. Click here.

After the trial period you can choose to subscribe for a further 12 months of continually updated 100% verified safety cameras – both fixed and mobile sites for the UK or one of the other countries available. Your unit will maintain out of data safety camera information if you do not."

Does this mean that if you subscribe, that you can only download one or the other - either the UK database, or a database for 'one of the other countries'?

What use is this with a device with European mapping? Surely you should be able to download both the UK and Euro databases with one subscription.

I'm also troubled that Cyclops states that its subscription 'starts' at £19.99 - how much do you get for that, UK and Euro, UK only, individual countries only?

Pocket GPS's database is of little use to me - we've just travelled through Belgium with my old man's TT One - which worked admirably - but I notice that Pocket GPS's database only lists 61 cameras in Belgium - I don't think that this is probably accurate.

Si.

EDIT: Just created a dummy acc at Garmin. £30 for UK, PLUS £35 for France and Benelux! TomTom here I come...
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you could get the garmin and subscribe to our database where you get access for a year for £19 to just short of 40 countries throughout the world? along with lots of competitions and a member's only area in the forum?
MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus the PGPSW database is more accurate, updated more often and gives you the chance to get a FREE Lifetime Subscription....... Niether TomTom or Garmin offer that!
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, the garmin database IS better than Tomtom's as I believe it is not only more comprehensive but is also directional.

Still, stick with this site's database.

Only database that is probably on par with this one is the snooper system. Although that of course is directional.

Still, you could get the garmin or TomTom and use it with this site's database - neither device is directional with pgpsw sadly.

The display on the new x30 is almost as legible as the nuvis now. I saw a 730 side by side with a 520 and the 520's graphics looked much nastier in comparison. I would still get a nuvi though despite it being dumbed down because whilst the TT lets me avoid parts of the route (which the nuvi doesn't) it's bluetooth doesn't work so IMO it's a choice between the lesser evil/missing feature. I MucH prefer the look of the nuvi screen, i appreciate the simplicity.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_ah1 wrote:
However, the garmin database IS better than Tomtom's as I believe it is not only more comprehensive but is also directional.

As is ours. Sadly TomTom don't offer directional functionality and others such as Garmin and Navman reserve it for their own use and block access to directionality for third parties Evil or Very Mad
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
chris_ah1 wrote:

As is ours. Sadly TomTom don't offer directional functionality and others such as Garmin and Navman reserve it for their own use and block access to directionality for third parties Evil or Very Mad

Yes, I was very disappointed with that fact when i did some digging with respect to the garmins. Navman restrict directional info too to their POIS. As do navigon I believe with their database. Hell, you can't even add custom POIs on the navigon with the POI-warner software included. Only Mio stepped up and allowed directional support until they canned iGo for stupid navman software. Along with copilot - but there is no PNA with copilot7.

Irritating thing is that the devices will bong even if they are on another road but still near to you. Some really can't live with that and stick with snooper/cyclops etc. If the original poster doesn't mind then either device is fine and in all honesty they do things so differently nuvi or TT Go debates are rather moot.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Irritating thing is that the devices will bong even if they are on another road but still near to you.

That mainly happens when you are not following a guided route, in which case how is the unit to know which way you'll be going and therefore if to alert you, or not?
spdgps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
or you could get the garmin and subscribe to our database where you get access for a year for £19 to just short of 40 countries throughout the world? along with lots of competitions and a member's only area in the forum?
MaFt

As I said in my original post:

"Pocket GPS's database is of little use to me - we've just travelled through Belgium with my old man's TT One - which worked admirably - but I notice that Pocket GPS's database only lists 61 cameras in Belgium - I don't think that this is probably accurate. "

Si.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Pocket GPS's database is of little use to me - we've just travelled through Belgium with my old man's TT One - which worked admirably - but I notice that Pocket GPS's database only lists 61 cameras in Belgium - I don't think that this is probably accurate. "

Maybe not yet but from little acorns etc etc.... PGPSW is currently offering a Free Lifetime Subscription to anyone who submits qualifying cameras from non-UK locations. The best bit is unlike for the UK camera locations you don't need to be a subscriber to qualify for the Lifetime Subscription. So help us with the ones in Belgium and we'll reward you with a free Lifetime Sub that covers the World.

See here

Quote:
New 28th Mar 2008: For reports of any camera OUTSIDE of the UK we will accept qualifying reports from any member, you DO NOT have to have an active subscription to be eligible for a lifetime subscription if your report is for a camera outside of the UK.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: