Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Comparison of our database and Talex's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Comparison of our database and Talex's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
talexuser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a disturbing post here:
http://briskoda.net/forums/ice-security-insurance/talex-novus-database/106878/6/#post1258103
scroll down to today (27Apr) from a guy claiming the talex database is a lot better than pgps, and he has reported to you and no updates appear.
Interested what pgps comments are on this?

Last edited by talexuser on Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the above link. It would be interesting to know if the submitter realises that we have a system of verification to ensure the accuracy of our cams Very Happy . We do not just rely on inputs from one person.
Why don't you suggest that he posts here so that we can all see what he has to say about it.
I also feel that his posts would be a lot easier to read and understand if he put in the odd comma, period and capital letter now and again.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting also that 'his' area is Oxon. That's covered superbly by Privateer and BoPeep who verify cameras as soon as they're reported.

I find the claims very difficult to believe but if he wishes to discuss it I'd be happy to receive his complaints and investigate/reply.

Does anyone have access to that forum to point him/her here or to invite him to contact me?
talexuser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

done, I've suggested he gives you the details of the missing cameras.
smstextaddict
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes talex user, nice to see you stirring here too. for all those concerned i gave up reporting about a year ago after 1 spent a good 6 months reporting via the link which doesnt seem to acknowledge whats reported. perhaps if ther email system was still in place i would report to you many missing locations, but as the guy who was originally doing the database 2-3 years ago got bored with it and said all had to be submitted via the online submission form non seem to be added. If it went back to email i would submit hell of a lot that seem to be missing and then you can get someone to go verify them (if you dont believe me).
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smstextaddict wrote:
Yes talex user, nice to see you stirring here too. for all those concerned i gave up reporting about a year ago after 1 spent a good 6 months reporting via the link which doesnt seem to acknowledge whats reported. perhaps if ther email system was still in place i would report to you many missing locations, but as the guy who was originally doing the database 2-3 years ago got bored with it and said all had to be submitted via the online submission form non seem to be added. If it went back to email i would submit hell of a lot that seem to be missing and then you can get someone to go verify them (if you dont believe me).

I shall reply to your email in detail tomorrow but a few points need addressing here.

I have checked our submission records for the on-line system and NONE are listed for you. we hold comprehensive submission records for every camera AND every submitter so unless you used a different user-name then I don't understand why we have no record of any submission from you but clearly if we don't have a record then we could never add the data.

Yes we do request submissions are made using the on-line form but this done because emailed reports rarely include the detail we need in order to add a location. This is not in-place to to make it more difficult for members to file reports. Your post on briskoda says
Quote:
Yes they would be interested if their online submission worked
Well the many thousands of submissions we do get each week work fine, no-one else has reported any issue with submitting camera reports so I'm at a loss as to why you find it a problem?

No-one got bored with the database, quite the opposite, we now have a dedicated administrator. I'm not sure why you are claiming these issues, it is not in our interests to ignore submissions, we seek more not less!

Your view is rather at odds with that of other users here which is a shame, I see you are a Lifetime Member so I'd like to think you valued the database, you still download it?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took Talex just over one month to include the new RedSpeed camera in Victoria Way Woking after it was first commissioned. It was here within 1 day and on the next database release which was about 10 days.

Last week I drove past 2 more new RedSpeed cameras on the A312 in Feltham, near to the A316 junction. The Talex gave me no warning.

When I got home I checked on the database here and sure enough, they were listed, 30mph both directions.

The question is, are thousands of eagle eye spotters better than relying on the reported officially published new camera locations ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
smstextaddict
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

I have checked our submission records for the on-line system and NONE are listed for you. we hold comprehensive submission records for every camera AND every submitter so unless you used a different user-name then I don't understand why we have no record of any submission from you but clearly if we don't have a record then we could never add the data.

Yes we do request submissions are made using the on-line form but this done because emailed reports rarely include the detail we need in order to add a location. This is not in-place to to make it more difficult for members to file reports. Your post on briskoda says
Quote:
Yes they would be interested if their online submission worked
Well the many thousands of submissions we do get each week work fine, no-one else has reported any issue with submitting camera reports so I'm at a loss as to why you find it a problem?

No-one got bored with the database, quite the opposite, we now have a dedicated administrator. I'm not sure why you are claiming these issues, it is not in our interests to ignore submissions, we seek more not less!

Your view is rather at odds with that of other users here which is a shame, I see you are a Lifetime Member so I'd like to think you valued the database, you still download it?

Sorry Darren but i disagree with you, i kept reporting a camera site on the A34 half amile north of the M4 at chievely overlooking the A34 both ways, this is also listed on the saferoads.org site for the thames valley police and was reported via your online subscription along with other i reported to you via pm. perhaps the only way to report them will be via pm to you as NONE of mine seem to go much further than report via the online submission form and then i dont get nothing to tell me its been accepted or declined, where as in the old day i got a thank you we will look into it reply.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All rather odd then. Even on-line submissions get an auto-responder via email. Is your email address correct in your profile?
smstextaddict
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its correct, even re entered it to make sure Laughing
smstextaddict
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you send someone around the A338 sailbury area and also at the M27 west of southhampton turn off Eastbound as its missing locations including specs which have been along that stretch for a while now.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smstextaddict wrote:
could you send someone around the A338 sailbury area and also at the M27 west of southhampton turn off Eastbound as its missing locations including specs which have been along that stretch for a while now.

We already have the M27 SPECS in our database, they have been there since they were installed and were activated on the very day they went live!

Similarly the A338 has a number of provisional and active mobile locations North and South of Salibsury and these are already in our database.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I see you have admitted on Briskoda to using an out of date PGPS database for comparisons (which explains much of what you have posted here), perhaps its only fair that you post a retraction on MoneySavingExpert.com where you have voiced similar opinion that has no basis in fact?

Indeed with your voracious support of Talex one could be forgiven for thinking you have some commercial interest in their business?
smstxt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
As I see you have admitted on Briskoda to using an out of date PGPS database for comparisons (which explains much of what you have posted here), perhaps its only fair that you post a retraction on MoneySavingExpert.com where you have voiced similar opinion that has no basis in fact?

Indeed with your voracious support of Talex one could be forgiven for thinking you have some commercial interest in their business?

I have been unable to log on on my user name Darren as someone has blocked it thus this account. Seems coincidental really that i cant reply and this is posted!!!

If i had tested your database on the 1 May i would have got the same results, the specs have been in there a while and if you have checked your pm's you would find i have reported to you missing locations (as your links dont have much joy for me).

I DO NOT WORK for Talex. i have since christmas been testing the talex and novus databases, i have found what seems to be the best of the two and it was suggested to me to test it against yourselves of which i have done.

Yes the specs are now on your latest database and i havent not once said they wasnt, but last monday when i downloaded your latest database, i was using your latest.

I am happy to test any database, especially if someone wants to send me a device with the database on, i have no qualms in testing them, but my comments were to what i found and i reported to you by pm (which you cannot deny) the problems i found too so they could be rectified (which were later found in the May 2nd database)

I guess if you going to do a database that comes out (iirc) once a month then this is one of the flaws, apart from that the database is pretty good and yes ive reported those that i didnt see on it to improve it, just never hear anything back to say that you will deal with them.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smstxt wrote:
I have been unable to log on on my user name Darren as someone has blocked it thus this account. Seems coincidental really that i cant reply and this is posted!!!

And what purpose would that serve? I'll look at your account issue but multiple accounts are not permitted here.
Quote:
If i had tested your database on the 1 May i would have got the same results, the specs have been in there a while and if you have checked your pm's you would find i have reported to you missing locations (as your links dont have much joy for me).

Rubbish, the SPECS have been on there a lot longer than that.
Quote:
I DO NOT WORK for Talex. i have since christmas been testing the talex and novus databases, i have found what seems to be the best of the two and it was suggested to me to test it against yourselves of which i have done.

And you have admitted to testing against an older database! That's hardly a fair or realistic test.
Quote:
Yes the specs are now on your latest database and i havent not once said they wasnt, but last monday when i downloaded your latest database, i was using your latest.
And they were present on that earlier release and on a few previous to that so clearly you weren't. I still find it odd that NOBODY else has a problem submitting cameras on-line, only you?
Quote:
I am happy to test any database, especially if someone wants to send me a device with the database on, i have no qualms in testing them, but my comments were to what i found and i reported to you by pm (which you cannot deny) the problems i found too so they could be rectified (which were later found in the May 2nd database)

I don't deny you PM'd be but your claims were without any basis in truth. You claim cameras are not in our database that are and have been for many months.
Quote:
I guess if you going to do a database that comes out (iirc) once a month then this is one of the flaws, apart from that the database is pretty good and yes ive reported those that i didnt see on it to improve it, just never hear anything back to say that you will deal with them.

It is released twice a month on average and I still stand by our claims that it is far more accurate than anything Talex may release.

Until you retract or correct your posts about our database on the other forums and explain that it was your testing methodology that was to blame and not our data, I have no further wish to debate this issue with you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: