Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 8110 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 8110 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No English version yet, but they have put some effort into a decent website to show off the 8110

http://www.navigon8110.com/

Have uploaded a few more pictures to the website.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely as it is i don't see anything on there that i don't get on my Garmin 310 or for that matter many other satnavs for sale at £100-130. I had the Tomtom 720 for a while but came to the same conclusion so sold it.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Difference Reply with quote

Thats except for Traffic, Text to Speech, Reality View, Lane Advisor, improved visuals in all modes, FM transmittor and Bluetooth

Lets not forget the best feature. Quaterly map updates for 2 years!

I guess it depends on occasional user, for which even a £79.99 unit like the Navman S30 will do a really great job at "getting you there" and you will love as your first unit

If you use it ever day, particularly for business, then you want to arrive stress free. On time. Features like TTS and Lane Advisor + the Always Up To Date Mapping pay for themselves for users like this, like me

I agree though, for others it may be overkill. A McDonalds or a good restaurant?

By the way jonandmarkuk, does the 8110 retain the mileage reporter of the 7110 units?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Difference Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

By the way jonandmarkuk, does the 8110 retain the mileage reporter of the 7110 units?

Not turned it on, but it does talk about a logbook which I think saves the route information in Excel or some other format so assume that includes mileage information Wink
I may give it a try and see what happens, be interesting if it worked like the Phototrackr and can show the route back on a map.

BTW, just stuck an 8Gb SDHC (class 6) card in and the device seems happy with it. Bit overkill I know but I intend to load some MP3's on for longer trips.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to an earlier question, I can confirm that TMC does work. If traffic information is received it tells you and the information comes up on screen. Shame it doesn't read the information out like the VM x980t used too.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
In response to an earlier question, I can confirm that TMC does work. If traffic information is received it tells you and the information comes up on screen.

Another stupid omission from the NavMan S90i is that, in the case of incidents which are causing tailbacks, the TMC functionalty does not tell you how long the delay is expected to be (eg 5 minutes, 30 minutes, three hours, etc). So you can't make a considered decision on whether to carry on or look for an alternate route. Does the 8110 give you that sort of info?

--

Cheers

Dave
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't look to be honest, got told off for playing with the GPS in the house so had to put it away for now Sad Will take a look later.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
got told off for playing with the GPS in the house

Laughing Out Loud! Yes, I know what you mean! Laughing

Does the User Guide not give any illustrations of the TMC screens? (The downloadable "starter" guide doesn't)

--

Cheers

Dave
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have uploaded some screenshots of the TMC screens. It seems that it doesn't give information on how long the delay is but that could either be the data received or the fact I didn't have a route planned on the GPS which would be effected by the traffic information.

I'll also try to upload a picture from the web which does have a timer symbol on the same TMC screen which could be a delay prediction? But no other screens are given so not sure?
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks once again. Doesn't look so great, does it? The Summary screen only includes symbols, leaving stacks of unused space on the right-hand side where they could have placed narratives for each incident such as the location and a short description of the problem. (eg "Hendon to M1 J2 Interchange: queuing traffic for 2 miles"). Very poor use of screen space.

On the detail screen for each incident, there is a weird-looking grey and orange button in the top-right corner - any idea what that's for?

With regards to delay length info, perhaps TrafficMaster don't supply this as part of their data feed....?

Incidentally it looks like you *can* have a QWERTY keyboard layout - there are some screenshots here:

http://www.engadget.com/tag/8110/

--

Cheers,

Dave
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the symbol you mean is the icon to bring up the map view of the data.

Don't know if it's any worse than other TMC implementations or worse. I suppose they are going for a cleaner look as if you are driving and have to pull over or ask someone else to look Rolling Eyes you may not want too much information. Wink

DaveMatthews wrote:

With regards to delay length info, perhaps TrafficMaster don't supply this as part of their data feed....?

Maybe someone else on the forum can answer that. It would be handy if the information can give the delay info, as the screen icons for the German TMC makes it look like the unit could get delay information?
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Mount Reply with quote

I notice the power cable runs directly into the base of the mount - can you advise if a) the cable has plently of length to run to the front windscreen, and b) if its untidy because of this setup

I contacted Navigon because I would have liked a simpler mount for the wide window (as with my Navman) but they said this was the only one because TMC is built into the mount. They may make another version if they get enough call, they said

Your opinion would be appreciated!
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mount Reply with quote

The cable is nice and long and I haven't find much of an issue. The Yaris power connector is very low down in the car.
I will try to measure the cable for you.

I think it's tidier as you can run the cable down the dashboard rather than it hanging out the bottom of the unit.
If it's any help you do get a dashboard disk should you wish to mount it off the windscreen.

Personally I like the mount as you simply attach it by sliding a 'switch' around. The only downside is the flap to release the suction cup is placed at the bottom so can make it difficult to remove it, but it's not too much of an issue if you just get a fingernail under the suction cup at the top.

As for size the mount and cable easily fits in the top section glovebox in the Yaris.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Lane Advisor Reply with quote

Sounds good

One more thing (last question I promise...!)

Does the Lane Advisor (not reality view) give information on lane for roundabouts etc. (I appreciate not all) or just when joining or leaving a motorway?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Lane Advisor Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Sounds good

One more thing (last question I promise...!)

Does the Lane Advisor (not reality view) give information on lane for roundabouts etc. (I appreciate not all) or just when joining or leaving a motorway?

So far I haven't really seen much of the lan assistant other than on routes I have tested on a motorway. I hope that this is simply down to the map data and will be expanded with the updates.
I have seen complaints in the TT forum about lack of lane info so I do think it's the map data more than anything.

I would really have to try and plot a route with roundabouts on it to know if the lane assistance comes up for them.

When I have seen the lane assistance on the test routes it does seem to give a reasonable indication of the lane needed and looks better than the old style arrows as it changes to match what should be the exact lane layout.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 5 of 24

Jump to: