Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 8110 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 8110 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair I wasn't keen on the View 3d in London as it didn't look very much different. But in the country it is nicer to look at as the gray area turns green as you pass into the country Laughing Out Loud.

However the 3d in this seems to give a nice view of what is coming up the on the ViaMichelin I reverted to 2D mode as you could never see far enough in advance in 3D

Just confirmed that in 2D mode you can set different Zoom levels and in 'no auto zoom' you can click the icon in the corner... set the zoom level you want and it stays when you go back to the navigation map.
You can zoom in or out quite far.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: TTS Reply with quote

Nice videos, pics and review - really appreciated by us all, I am sure. Good to know you are enjoying your (shinny) new 8110

As an ex-Navigon 7110 user, the interface and mapping is very familier, but seems a lot more fluid

Can you help with two questions

1. Does the unit crash often (at all?!) as my 7110 did quite a bit, and was slow restarting, so became a bit of a pain to use

2. From the videos I notice a lot of the street names are missing from the Text to Speech (not screen, I don't mind that). Is this really the case? My Navman S90i speaks every road name, so (don't think) I would want to lose that

With regard the sparse lane guidance, I think that is just a mapping issue in the UK with both TeleAtlas and NavTeq - and with the Freshmaps covering you for some time yet, free of charge, would imagine they will get progressively better and more frequent, as this is exactly the kind of data that will make or break both sat nav software manufacturers and the mapping providers
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: TTS Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Nice videos, pics and review - really appreciated by us all, I am sure. Good to know you are enjoying your (shinny) new 8110

As an ex-Navigon 7110 user, the interface and mapping is very familier, but seems a lot more fluid

I love it... Laughing Out Loud I does seem very fluid, they must have really worked on the speed.

Can you help with two questions

xtraseller wrote:

1. Does the unit crash often (at all?!) as my 7110 did quite a bit, and was slow restarting, so became a bit of a pain to use

Not had any crashes so far ;) The only time it's been slow at restarting is when connected to the PC and powered back on. It seems to change modes for PC connection.

xtraseller wrote:

2. From the videos I notice a lot of the street names are missing from the Text to Speech (not screen, I don't mind that). Is this really the case? My Navman S90i speaks every road name, so (don't think) I would want to lose that

I noticed that, but since ensuring the TTS is switched on it does seem to give more names than when I first had it. Also the TTS could be dependent on the map data.
I think it does skip the street name if there is two turns close to each other. Near my house by the time it announces the street I would miss the next turn.

xtraseller wrote:

With regard the sparse lane guidance, I think that is just a mapping issue in the UK with both TeleAtlas and NavTeq - and with the Freshmaps covering you for some time yet, free of charge, would imagine they will get progressively better and more frequent, as this is exactly the kind of data that will make or break both sat nav software manufacturers and the mapping providers

Here's hoping that the Lane Assistance data gets padded out as I am a little disappointed that it only seems to cover motorways, even though cities often have far more complex junctions. (Have read similar complaints in the TT forums)
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I noticed that, but since ensuring the TTS is switched on it does seem to give more names than when I first had it. Also the TTS could be dependent on the map data.
I think it does skip the street name if there is two turns close to each other. Near my house by the time it announces the street I would miss the next turn

I guess that was a decision by Navigon then to chose time availabe against message, so they don't overlap each over - there isn't a right way, just different ways

Think I may just get myself one of these soon... how do you find the screen mount? Liked mine initially on the 7110, but then found it wobbled too much. Read on various forums that they "fixed" this on the 7110 later on...
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the mount quite sturdy. no real issues noticed with it so far.
Only thing I find it it's stiff to angle it.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Information on POIWarner

"POI-Warner will not be compatible with the first release of Navigon MN7, but we are hoping to offer a version for later updates.

Regards/Cordialement/Yn ddiffuant/Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

.~U. Waller~.
Support Team / Public Relations

POI-Warner FAQ: www.support.navigating.de
www.navigating.de"

Maybe they are working with Navigon on a version. In the Navigon Fresh software there is a section for 'mycontent' which only has the maps listed but seems it's designed to offer more options to download. I don't know who true it is but the Engadget website claimed to have been told that 3D buildings will be offered as an add on?

Same website also found that the 8110 has undergone FCC testing in the USA so I wonder if a US model of the 8110 is to be launched soon. As I don't think they would submit something for testing if they weren't going to launch it.
Anyone know if Navigon ever offered the US maps for sale on the EU models as it would be so handy when on holiday.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be good news.

Skrevet den 14-05-2008 08:17

jonandmarkuk skrev:
Any idea when a version of POI Warner will be available?

No idea; but there are solid rumors, that Navigon is working on a solution to add POI's to MN6 and MN7. Then POI Warner is not needed, except for directional POI's.

Per
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: POIWarner Reply with quote

That would be a better solution, since I beleive it was POIWarner than was causing the 7110 to crash to often - same with my Navigon PocketLoox n110 unit (even though the POIWarner has some nice features, I'd prefer to have a more basic implementation that is at least stable)
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the System information clearly shows that there is a POI Warner 2.x installed on the 8110 already maybe the included version will be a better integrated / cut down version of POI Warner.

Navigating.de's reply and now this reply in a forum certainly hints at that. I have mailed Navigon direct playing dumb and saying 'I can't figure out how to add my own POI' so it will be interesting what the reply is.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: POIWarner Reply with quote

Yes, there was one with the 7110 but again not accessible or not licensed, cannot remember which, so purchased one!
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work John! I've been pestering in a similar way and no real info has come to me that is of any use.

I believe POI warner was crashing due to a memory leak or simply not enough memory onboard - the RAM and ROM is double i think on the 8110 over the 7* and porsche series so should be fewer crashes.

It is a shame they bundle POI-warner with it in some shape or form and then cripple it's functionality.

TBH I would not normally worry about it, but speed cams are a bit important to me even though i know where most are around me. I can't rely on my dad being there all the time since he often says 'Gatso 40 bleep bleep' aloud to me.

I'm sure they will get one working shortly though to buy - albeit not directional - as MN7 looks to be so similar to MN6.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Navigon Reply with quote

Think you are right MN7 is (seems to be) what MN6 should have been - a great looking and functional piece of sat nav software. MN6 was released way to early / units not powerful enough / etc... At least seem to be back on track now
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_ah1 wrote:
- albeit not directional - as MN7 looks to be so similar to MN6.

Seems that POI Warner maybe the way to go for directional warnings? As suggested in the post I copied. Wink
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
chris_ah1 wrote:

Seems that POI Warner maybe the way to go for directional warnings? As suggested in the post I copied. Wink

yeah, but this database on here for POI-warner is OV2 which is not directional though? Or am i confused?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_ah1 wrote:
jonandmarkuk wrote:
chris_ah1 wrote:

yeah, but this database on here for POI-warner is OV2 which is not directional though? Or am i confused?

I have no idea Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 4 of 24

Jump to: