Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 8110 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 8110 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, the 8110 will take SDHC cards. Mine is working fine with a 8Gb card.

All I did was copied the contents of the Navigon card to the desktop of the PC, inserted the new card and copied the contents back.

If you have one to hand I would use a memory card reader.
hendrik_1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveMatthews wrote:
Thanks, Astx!

Further confirmation that the Navigon User Guide is wrong. I wonder if it's also wrong about the unit's mini-USB socket being disabled when powering through the cradle?

--

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have the 8110 and the TMC adpter from GNS. It certainly is possible to use the adapter and to load tghe device at the same time. There is a Y-cable for thes (the small one button right on the photo in theGNS shop). You put the loading adapter on one strand and the antenna at the other strand. The you connect both with the active cradle.

Regards
Hendrik
cristobal41
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hendrik_1 wrote:
DaveMatthews wrote:
Thanks, Astx!

Further confirmation that the Navigon User Guide is wrong. I wonder if it's also wrong about the unit's mini-USB socket being disabled when powering through the cradle?

--

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have the 8110 and the TMC adpter from GNS. It certainly is possible to use the adapter and to load tghe device at the same time. There is a Y-cable for thes (the small one button right on the photo in theGNS shop). You put the loading adapter on one strand and the antenna at the other strand. The you connect both with the active cradle.

Regards
Hendrik

Hi, Hendrik:
Thanks for your help, but I would ask you to be more specific. I would like to get a Navigon 8110 and use TMC and charger right in the same holder. For what you say, with the Y device from GNS you can connect both systems to the only mini usb connector in the cradle. Which GNS references are needed for that?
Going a bit beyond, do you know how can I connect the power supply cable under the dashboard and not to the lighter for a neater and fixed installation?
Finally, Tomtom 930T or Navigon 8110?
Best regards.
ASDTi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hendrik_1 wrote:

Finally, Tomtom 930T or Navigon 8110?
Best regards.

I would go for the TT930T - and it really pains me to say it! (I wanted so much to like the 8110) Sad

My Navigon 8110 looked wonderful, and I still think that Navigon maps are clearer than all others. The truth, it seems to me, is that all PNDs have faults - its a personal choice whose faults you can most easily live with. I found the main faults of the 8110 were:
1/ The menu system (the 'russian doll' type) is overly complex. You can get used to it, but (to me) it never felt intuitive. Even viewing the map without navigating anywhere was a menu choice within another menu.
2/ The glorious-looking contour maps can't have street names
3/ It seems to have been forgotten by Navigon in terms of software updates (some might say abandoned)
4/ Bluetooth seems very fussy about the phones it will synch with - My iPhone was hit-and-miss and my Samsung G600 only partly worked
5/ Everything works sooooo slowly. I guess it's a problem with the CE platform underneath (sorry Windows Mobile). Often a button press would seem to be ignored, but was registered and acted upon twice, after I subsequently pressed it again. I found that so frustrating.

Whereas with the TomTom:
1/ Bluetooth will occasionally freeze (or repeat a sylable like a 1980's dance sample)
2/ The unit will occasionally reset itself (or need a reset) (or need you to use the flash memory clean tool from TT)
3/ The maps don't look as good as Navigon (no anti-aliasing amongst other things) - though you can download Navigon-like colour schemes from TT home that look OK
4/ I (personally) hate the x20/x30 mount. I know the security issue, but it's a pain having to connect everything, every time.

Different strokes and all of that, but I'd definitely go for a 930 (Amazon had them at £240 a week or so ago - they've gone back up again, but I'd keep looking)
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT LAST THINGS ARE ON THE MOVE Surprised Surprised Surprised Exclamation Exclamation

At least on the GERMAN site. It looks as if an upgrade path for the 8110 is coming soon. I haven't read the press release properly yet.

If anyone wants to do a Google Translate they should find the news interesting Laughing

It may be costing €70, so let's hope there's a Eurozone slump while the UK is recovering.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, that sounds promising Smile
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to 'see'you again jonandmarkuk. I take it you picked up on the demo link in the press release? Quite interesting (albeit somewhat incomprehensible in the original vernacular!).
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, been so busy with work and such recently I've not really had time to spend on the forums.
Unfortunately I missed the demo, but everything which looks to be coming for the 8110 looks promising.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed the link you refered too... to be honest I had spotted that yesturday mentioned in the German forums.

It seems that more is coming to the 8110 than what was promised (I know My Routes was the only update mentioned). I really hope they implement the spoken TMC as it's not always possible to stop and read the information. Recently coming back from West Midlands Safari Park the TMC was coming up every few minutes, I wasn't driving and my sister just finished up pressing accept on many of the alerts and we finished up coming back a very odd route.

I'm hoping the software is released early June, as I'm on a trip down to Reading, so would be a great time to test out all the new features.
Also interesting that the press release refers to the yet to be mentioned 8310 (many rumours about). So the 8110 is going to be replaced but as long as there's a paid software upgrade for the 8110 I'm happy Smile
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

International site now lists the press release in English.

Quote "The upgrade includes all new NAVIGON features such as Professional Voice Command, the 3D functions and NAVIGON MyRoutes. Both upgrades will be available within the next two weeks."

Cool, so looks like I maybe able to test the new software when I head off to Reading. Very Happy

Either Navigon were planning this all along, or bent to customer power when initial information suggsted the 8110 wasn't going to get anything new.

Just need to keep an eye on Navigon Fresh for the upgrade to show... credit card already and waiting Smile
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about the TMC. I stopped 'auto'-accepting it after a European trip where I got re-routed MILES and MILES extra (seeing Lichtenstein twice!). Asking you to decide possibly 100 miles in advance is just totally impractical. So unless I can really assess the situation 'on the fly' I usually reject and hope for the best.

There was an indication that in the new software, the time for the original route+jam, and the diverted route, will both now be given. That's what's really needed (I also asked Navigon a long time ago if they couldn't either mention the jam when you were nearer; or remind you about the jam again, if you reject the original divert, to give you the opportunity to make a more sensible choice, but I'm sure it got ignored).

Still things are looking up at last.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I know what you mean about the TMC. I stopped 'auto'-accepting it after a European trip where I got re-routed MILES and MILES extra (seeing Lichtenstein twice!). Asking you to decide possibly 100 miles in advance is just totally impractical. So unless I can really assess the situation 'on the fly' I usually reject and hope for the best.

There was an indication that in the new software, the time for the original route+jam, and the diverted route, will both now be given. That's what's really needed (I also asked Navigon a long time ago if they couldn't either mention the jam when you were nearer; or remind you about the jam again, if you reject the original divert, to give you the opportunity to make a more sensible choice, but I'm sure it got ignored).

Still things are looking up at last.

I think part of it maybe down to the way the information is broadcast via the FM, I don't mind it alerting me of problems but what looks to have been implemented where it shows you on the map should make it much easier to decide on the divert or not.
Maybe alerts in Germany are more regular and specific for that area.
Just hope PoiWarner works fine with the new software, that's one feature Navigon seem to be ignoring (but I still think they must be in some kind of development agreement with Navigating.de) and maybe they simply can't develop that feature without upsetting Navigating.de?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link isn't officially live yet. Just discovered it by changing the URL from the German site.

8310 details live

http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/products/car_navigation/navigon8310

Seems as though the hardware of the 8110 hasn't been replaced. The 8310 is purly a software update. Hardware spec of the two is identical.
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Via Michelin Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Link isn't officially live yet. Just discovered it by changing the URL from the German site.

8310 details live

http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/products/car_navigation/navigon8310

Seems as though the hardware of the 8110 hasn't been replaced. The 8310 is purly a software update. Hardware spec of the two is identical.

No ViaMichelin integration it seems. So the announcement from Navigon last year seems to have been forgotten.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was only ever released in France

http://www.navigon.com/site/fr/fr/shop/consumer/bundlelist/1229

Navigon only signed the deal for France, and I think we were just a little too exciteded to think that the rest of Europe would see the same model.
You could get the French model, but suspect all the guide would be in French.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24

Jump to: