Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POCKETGPS_UK_SC…..mph setting
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POCKETGPS_UK_SC…..mph setting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hogbreath
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: POCKETGPS_UK_SC…..mph setting Reply with quote

For Attn: Dave Burrows

Dave

How difficult would it be to group the speed camera database into mph, 30,40,50,60 & 70 or in other words put a mph figure against each camera entry?

This would mean ttn users could use a different coloured bitmap to indicate the speed setting of the camera, snooker colours spring to mind, black for 70 mph, pink for 60 mph, etc.

CheckPOint users could use the “speed setting” for each overlay.

Apologies if you have already been around the block on this one.

Pete
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been here before Sad The answer is that when the database was originally launched it was not possible to capture this data simply. We had no way to enter the speed info when you recorded the location other than if you stopped at the camera and went through a number of steps. Consequently the earliest camera entries have no speed data.

Since the availability of CheckPOInt we can capture this data and many users do so. We add this info to our database and once we reach a critical mass we will look to break the database down into 30,40,50,60 & 70 limits but we still have a way to go yet.

It's not an excuse but it does take a surprising amount of time to compile each database release. Extracting the data from each report, checking for errors is a slow process, adding the speed data and producing seperate files for each limit is going to add to this workload and we have plenty of other core stuff that takes priority on top of our day jobs!

Be assured that we are always looking for wasy to improve this as we realise it is a popular service but some things will take a little longer like all good things Thumbs Up
hogbreath
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. :o

Must be a lot of work, you guys have to do, this site provides an invaluable amount of help and info. Thanks again.

Anything we can do to help? (apart from not repeating previous threads!)

Pete
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any cameras in your area then we would appreciate the speed info to add to the record. Likewise if you have any whose recorded location is innacuarte then we'd would be grateful if you were able to visit the installation and take an accurate Lat/Lon for it.

Other than that we're thankful for the support we have had to date and hope to continue. Spread the word and show off your GPS systems and we will become even more popular!
wHIZz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Fao Darren Reply with quote

Darren,

As a new member and recently setup GPS enthusiast! - I would be only to happy to help by passing you guys information about POIs, Camera speeds\inaccuracies etc in the Edinburgh area but I'm not sure how to record and subsequently send you the info?

Any pointers?

wHIZz
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need CheckPOInt 2.02, when you record new locations using it they are saved to a checkpoint.ov2 file, send this file to us when you have a few locations recorded and we will do the rest Thumbs Up
wHIZz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: FAO Darren (again) Reply with quote

Darren

Took your advice. I had already installed ChekPOInt 2.0.2 but wasn't too sure how to use it. Spent most of today reading up on it though and now kind of know what I'm doing!.

OK - so was out today in Edinburgh and managed to find a couple of new Red Light camera's which were not included, so I have recorded them into my OV2 file. Laughing

I do have a couple of questions:

1) Where do I send the file? 8O

2) Should I wait until I have several recording before sending the details or just send immediately when a new camera is discovered? 8O

3) How do I 'amend' other POIs? (for example - there is a Cashpoint POI indicated in my village which is no longer there) - should we all alert you guys to things like that or worry about our 'own' OV2 files? 8O

I'm totally hooked on this GPS stuff now (actually went out for a drive tonight just to use it!) I also realise how much effort the PocketGPS Team must put into running this site - PLEASE don't stop!! ..... you guys should take a bow and ponder the fact that you have many GPS enthusiasts who rely on your impartial advice and generall helpfulness Thumbs Up

Anyway - enough of that how about the questions!!

wHIZz Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can send us your checkpoint.ov2 file whenever you wish but it is obvioulsy easier for us to manage them if you send once you have a few recorded, say once per month? email it to cameras @ .

As for the cashpoint POI, these are supplied by TomTom and can't be edited. The same applies to all the other built-in POIs that come supplied with TomTom.

Thanks for the compliments, yes it does take an enourmous amount of effort, having spent most of the weekend compiling the latest safety camera update I'm about to give my keyboard a rest now but it is great to know that it is appreciated Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: