Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman map updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman map updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shlomph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Navman map updates Reply with quote

Am I the only one who is a bit miffed that Navman no longer sell map updates for the icn530. Should we expect only a 2 year lifespan for their products?
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi shlomph , welcome to the forum.

To be honest the icn530 got a fare innin, unlike the icn7** and the F and N's. Navman dropped them all like flies to run with S range which is a bit of a disaster.

Consider holding on to it untill you can no longer live with the maps any more and then get a shiny new one.

You can still buy the maps from the Teleatlas online store but I don't know what years maps they are. Maybe sending them an email might be the next step.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not the only one, hence the market share TomTom and Garmin now have over Navman.

However, there are enough people out there that still buy shiny new Navmans. From the point of view of Navman, it's not a bad business model to dump the liabilites as soon as consumer protection law allows. That way you only need to deal with the high margin products. Map updates are considered low margin, as they cost a lot to product the first one, along with the required software changes to support the changing data sets, and not enough people by them to amortise the R&D cost over a large enough base. Distributon is a nightmare as they are only valid for short times, and quite high value for retailers to stock.

Internet deployment is possible, but theres issues around cutting the retailers out of the $$$$ loop means they won't push your product- kinda damed if you do and damed if you don't.

Add to this that the hardware wears out and starts coming on for servicing (e.g. Battery packs and screen backlights fail), so convincing consumers to landfill 6 month old products is also good for business.

I admit I am a cynical B(family show here.....) , so don't take what I say too seriously.

However there is a bright side - IMHO the road networks don't change significantly enough to warrent spending huge $$$$ each year on updates. Every now and then, something will be different, but overall, 99% of the road network is the same, and the device will quite happily sort it out once yuo are past a change. Occationally you may get an issue that requires a Mk1 Brain, but not often. Keep the iCN till it's dead, by then, this car nav stuff will be standard on your cell anyway.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To be honest the icn530 got a fare innin, unlike the icn7** and the F and N's. Navman dropped them all like flies to run with S range which is a bit of a disaster.

Just for your interest (?) or not, I have been chasing Navman for about a year as they promised to bring out new mapping in the Autum of last year for the N range, including extending the Eastern European mapping, in which I am interested. On the 2nd of this month, I got the following when I chased up the launch (if you can call it that) of the latest software.

Quote:
Sorry for the delay, they are in the final testing and we should receive them, in the next 2 weeks
Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

I'm not sure if it also includes new software as apposed to maps, unlikely, I would guess. Still, I'm still waiting.

Bearing in mind I need those maps for my next trip, it might be necessary for me to ditch Navman and get something that does have the maps I need. I'd be sorry, as I have got to know all the quirks and tweaks of the navman system and I'd have to learn something else. If needs be, I suppose..
Graham
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
I'd be sorry, as I have got to know all the quirks and tweaks of the navman system and I'd have to learn something else. If needs be, I suppose..
Graham

I am starting to look that way too. Unless Navman pull something impressive out of the unsupportive hat of theirs, they will loose another customer. Evil or Very Mad

DeadMode
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
Gee-Pee wrote:
I'd be sorry, as I have got to know all the quirks and tweaks of the navman system and I'd have to learn something else. If needs be, I suppose..
Graham

I am starting to look that way too. Unless Navman pull something impressive out of the unsupportive hat of theirs, they will loose another customer. Evil or Very Mad

Same here, I am now considering buying a TomTom as they are known to be very good and the maps seem to be easily available. There is no chance I will buy another Navman if they drop support for their products this easily. I have an N20 and don't seem to be able to get map update for love nor money.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadMode wrote:
mostdom wrote:
Gee-Pee wrote:
Graham

Same here, I am now considering buying a TomTom as they are known to be very good and the maps seem to be easily available. There is no chance I will buy another Navman if they drop support for their products this easily. I have an N20 and don't seem to be able to get map update for love nor money.

Welcome to the Forum

Well, I'm now running the ViaMichelin side by side with the N20. Both have their advantages and disadvantages but on the whole I like the VM now I have got used to it. It's a bit more difficult to navigate (the device that is) but the regular free updates of safety cams is great and using it in the EU makes driving a pleasure. Just a shame that they have pulled out of the GPS market. I too am now looking at a TomTom. I think Navman are shooting themselves in the foot. Gun Shoot Out
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.

While my 750 is still working and is reasonably up to date I'll still use it but I can imagine that with new tech only just around the corner I will have moved over by next year.

Shame.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: