Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Novus Delta performance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Novus Delta performance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smeg001uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Novus Delta performance Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm considering buying one of these as I like the format of the device and it'll fit in my car as direct replacement for my Geodesy without needing to hack the dash about. However it would be useful to know a few details about the performance of the Novus Delta.

1. What is the search time before it locks on to enough sats to work ?

2. Are the warnings loud enough ?

3. Any comments overall in respect of build quality / reliability / performance etc ?

4. Does it use the SIRFIII chipset ?

Thanks

Needless to say it'll be very useful if the PGPSW database can be made to work with the Novus !

Regards
silentwol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Novus Delta performance Reply with quote

It uses the SIRFII chipset. I's usually fairly quick to lock on and has a volume control so it's as loud or as quiet as you like.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Novus Delta performance Reply with quote

silentwol wrote:
It uses the SIRFII chipset. I's usually fairly quick to lock on and has a volume control so it's as loud or as quiet as you like.

But you cannot, as yet, use the PGPSW camera database on it. Sad
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Novus Delta performance Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
silentwol wrote:

But you cannot, as yet, use the PGPSW camera database on it. Sad

Yes - it has gone quiet on that subject Sad
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You fail to ask the ONE important question, what is their database like?! Surely that is an important piece of the puzzle?

As for using our database, we're in the test stage now so not much longer all being well.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what is their database like?!

Good point - the Talex (not Novus) database does eventually get there but it is not as up to date as the one here.

A gripe I have with the Talex is that you cannot select to turn off the 'possible mobile sites' and in my area I seem to get a lot of these being announced in places I've never seen any.

Hopefully, once the Talex solution is found here we will be able to install just the Gatso & Specs, etc and choose to miss out the pmobiles.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
You fail to ask the ONE important question, what is their database like?! Surely that is an important piece of the puzzle?

As for using our database, we're in the test stage now so not much longer all being well.

Darren, I would have thought that you would have taken the oportunity to say how much better our database is. Very Happy I thought that I had implied this in my comment
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always wary of singing its praises as any comment I make will naturally be seen as biased! But thanks for your comment, I got the implication Smile
smeg001uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for the replies.

@Darren - I didn't ask the question about the database as I'd already read plenty of posts about their database on this forum. tbh I'm unlikely to buy one unless its possible to use the PGPSW database with it or their database gets better than the posts imply.

I already subscribe to your database for my TomTom btw.

@Kremmen - What do you mean by "..the Talex (not Novus) database does eventually get there.." ? Are you saying the Talex database *is* OK but the Novus one isn't ? I imagined they'd both be the same as both are maintained now by Novus (?)

Regards
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smeg001uk wrote:
@Kremmen - What do you mean by "..the Talex (not Novus) database does eventually get there.." ? Are you saying the Talex database *is* OK but the Novus one isn't ? I imagined they'd both be the same as both are maintained now by Novus (?)

Regards

Thay're not though, Novus is old Talex reborn, New Talex is a different outfit altogether. Each maintain their own databases.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talex and Novus are 2 seperate companies and the databases are unique to each. Only the hardware is almost identical.

I specified 'Talex' because I am still within my original 1 year database update subscription (just - runs out middle of this month), so that's the database I am currently using.

There have been a few new cameras around my area which have been here within days but have taken Talex about a month before they appear on the latest database update.

When my Talex subs run out I will then start using the free Novus database and I will then see if the new cameras are on there.

....whilst I wait for the ability to use the cameras here Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Scribes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Novus GPS Rider Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Hi Darren

Your post, nearly two years ago, suggests that a database for the Novus GPS Rider wasn't far away.

Is it now available somewhere on the site or are tests "still in progress"?

I get a new vehicle with an inbuilt SatNav but without the ability to upload safety cameras in the next week and would really like to buy something which is recommended but which uses the Pocket GPS database.

Please advise.

Thanks
leehazzo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Hi Daren,

That'll be great news if you manage to get your database to work on the Novus/Talex unit!
I've subscribed to your database for my Tomtom and must say its never let me down yet Smile

Is there any sort of time frame for this and if you're looking for people to test for you, give me a shout please.

Cheers

Lee
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the Talex/Novus project has been abandoned. This is partly due to the PGPSW database being compatible with Inforad units.

I would get an Inforad if it only gave you your true speed like the above models and it spoke to you.

I wonder if Inforad are considering developing a more sophisticated unit?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
delboyuk1984
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
AFAIK the Talex/Novus project has been abandoned. This is partly due to the PGPSW database being compatible with Inforad units.

I would get an Inforad if it only gave you your true speed like the above models and it spoke to you.

I wonder if Inforad are considering developing a more sophisticated unit?

Inforad appear to sell a K5 unit that does have voice warnings and spped readout but only appears to be available in France / Germany
http://www.gpsinforad.com/prodinfo_fr.php?pn=K5&type=operation

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: