Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Do you have your navigator in your car all the time
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you have your navigator in your car all the time
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Anita, i totally disagree with robertn.

I have a DriveSmart fitted to the car permanently, which talks me through all the speed cameras and tells me when i hit 70mph - this device is never removed from the car.

Additionally I have the Garmin Nuvi mount fitted permanently to the front of the dashboard so that everytime i get in the car i fit the Sat Nav into the dock with no effort.
This not only carries an extra camera warning (a few early 'dongs') but acts as my mobile bluetooth, and when it works TMC, the GPS map runs silently until i add a destination but i don't look at it constantly, the idea is to drive the car not keep worring about the Sat Nav screen.

It doesn't change my situational awarness as if there are road signs i still read them and note place and street names and am aware of my surroundings whether other vehicles or the countryside.

When i do use the Sat Nav i still experiment with what i think could be a better route due to instinct and let the device 'recalculate', I have it on all the time and wouldn't do without it, but i don't treat it as a 'God'.

As Anita said the Sat Nav is a tool and that is all it is, i wouldn't get in a car with robertn as he sounds to be too robotic.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say for me it is in the car and running a route 95% of the time, even on the normal route to work, partly because I'm always on the lookout for new speed cameras or ones that need "verifying" but partly because I just like having it there!

I must admit, I found it very hard having two different ones from different manufacturers going at the same time though.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
this device is never removed from the car.
Drop me a PM next time you'll be parking in Keynsham and I'll get my crim neighbours to nick it for me. Sounds worth having! Twisted Evil

I had forgotten that bluetooth mobile phone hands free is my lifeline too (so automatic I never even think twice).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
GJF wrote:
Drop me a PM next time you'll be parking in Keynsham and I'll get my crim neighbours to nick it for me. Sounds worth having! Twisted Evil

have you seen a drivesmart unit?! it's like ataxi-meter - no one would ever dream of knicking it...

MaFt
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
if i'm likely to need to get to morrisons at any point then i'd take the pnd

Do you get satellite reception in Morrison's Wink

Has Mrs MaFt set POIs for each aisle so that you know exactly where to go for all your shopping? Laughing

POI cream cakes
POI beer
POI fruit

It almost makes supermarket shopping sound like fun (I did say ALMOST!) - PCWorld or GadgetsRUs is fun
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
DennisN wrote:
GJF wrote:

have you seen a drivesmart unit?! it's like ataxi-meter - no one would ever dream of knicking it...

MaFt

Although the DS is a fantastic piece of kit it looks like c**p, they wouldn't ever win any design awards for it, but as a GPS camera detector it is top of the list.

I actually got flagged whilst sitting at the side of the road, by a girl in her 20's with a skirt so short i thought she wasn't wearing one, as she thought i was a cab. Very Happy The DS must be a good crumpet puller! Laughing

The rubbish design makes it easier for me, i just leave it sitting on the top of the dashboard, obviously if i'm in Keynsham I would have to remove it as they nick anything there just because it is there. Wink
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
I actually got flagged whilst sitting at the side of the road, by a girl in her 20's with a skirt so short i thought she wasn't wearing one, as she thought i was a cab. Very Happy The DS must be a good crumpet puller! Laughing

Like I said - "Drop me a PM next time you'll be parking in Keynsham and I'll get my crim neighbours to nick it for me. Sounds worth having!" Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Jacktar1894
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In town or short route to work no, any further yes and I'm a newbie too. Like the camera alerts. Query when you update cameras on Navman's database thingy does it update petrol stations and other poi's? Does this clubs update thing? Its all a mystery at first Question
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is on all the time in the car - I use it for hands-free phone via the car radio. It may not always be in route-following mode - but it's ready and tracking me. It gets taken out of the car each time I leave the car. It's on a BRODIT mount so no windscreen marks either.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually have it turned on just for the camera locations.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. It's part of my phone, so I always have it with me, even when walking around. As to whether it's on or not, yes, normally on in the car, primarily as a camera warning.
The Rudd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mine when I am going longer distances, not for local shopping trips etc. I have the Garmin mount in the car all the time as it's connected to the battery. I must admit I like the idea of a crumpet puller.

Jerry
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have mine on 95% of the time in the car or on my bike. Useful for the speed cameras just to remind me. I only use the routes when Im going a long distance as it gives me the eta or some place I dont know. I am still very much aware of whats going on around me, and if Im sing the routes then that saves me worring about where the next turn is oging to b and trying to check maps etc. Having said that is has made me lazy as I dont always check maps before going some place new just enter the destination if I already know the general location.
CaptainK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Andy_P2002 I would say 95% of the time, mainly for traffic warnings. There is one unpredictable, but nevertheless frequent traffic build up on the A1 near me, which if I get caught in it can add 15 minutes to my journey to work. The diversion route turn-off is about half a mile back from the point where you first spot the back of the queue, so there's nothing you can do, if you go past the turn-off. The traffic device on my Nuvi has proved particularly accurate for this particular queue, and it must save me many, many hours a year.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: