Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap Active 10 - In depth review now available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap Active 10 - In depth review now available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GarethB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Satmap queries Reply with quote

Hey, I have been lookin for a GPS for a while now but I haven't decided which one yet. I had been looking at the Garmin etrex vista, but then I seen the Satmap active 10. Though im not sure if any of the maps cover Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland. Does any one know? I have used the garmin etrex for going to a certain location and obtaining the co-ordinates for that point, i.e. you mark waypoints manually. Can you do this on the satmap? Or will it mark your route automatically/randomly?
Also one last question, do you have to enter a prepared route, like that seen on the Gadget Show, or can you go on a walk and take the waypoints manually at key locations?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an anaswer to your question about NI/E maps. From the Satmap website Q&As
Quote:
Maps are now available for Holland, Germany, Norway, Switzerland, Austria. Maps for France, Spain, Ireland and Northern Ireland will be released in Q2 2009. We will announce availability of these, and other maps, on www.satmap.com
I'm assuming they are still awaited.

Hope that's some help.
shep8361
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Don't waste your money! Reply with quote

My wife and I were given a Satmap Active 10 as a gift about a year ago. This was our first (and so far my only) GPS. We bought the full UK 1: 50000 OS map (£199) and have used it extensively for hillwalking, biking and canoeing and a couple of times in the car.

But after a lot of trial and (mostly) error, I can't say I like it at all.

The instructions seem to have been written for the benefit of those who are already tech-savvy and familar with GPS systems, but for 'GPS virgins' such as us, they are nothing short of abysmal.

Despite many attempts we have never got the hang of downloading, recording or uploading routes (or indeed getting the Satmap to interface with our PC at all). The software locks up when attempting to perform certain functions whereupon the unit can only be turned off by removing the battery. In the field, the batteries invariably seem to die at the most awkward moment possible.

These glitches are irritating enough; but more seriously, the displayed height is sometimes dangerously inaccurate - either that or we live several metres below mean sea level!

We have invariably ended up reverting to map and compass navigation in frustration, and the GPS becomes no more than an annoying bit of useless extra weight.

Including full GB OS map coverage, this system costs nearly £500. A newcomer to outdoor activities would be much better advised to pay a fraction of this amount on a navigation course at a reputable outdoor centre, and then spend the change on paper maps. Don't rely on technology as a substitute for proper navigation.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shep,

Without "wishing to teach my grandmother to suck eggs",were you using Satsync software to connect your Active10 to your PC,you don't indicate that you were.

The Active10 can only communicate with the PC via this software,which is free from Satmap:-

http://www.satmap.co.uk/download-satsync.php

Using this you can upload/download routes,waypoints,updates etc to the Active10 easily.

Yes the instructions do leave a little to be desired I agree in some places.

If your unit locks up/malfunctions I would contact Satmap for perhaps a warranty repair as it has two years guarantee and you would probably have it back in a week,they are very obliging.

The very first units were prone to lock up so you may have bought old stock as this has been greatly improved on in recent times.

Any other problems then resort to this forum,there is always someone along to help you out,I have found it very useful.

Don't give up on the Satmap,most people find it a great piece of kit.

Ian
shep8361
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

Thanks for your reply. You're quite right, I wasn't using Satsync.
However, I am even less convinced that this system is any good after giving it another go today, when it locked up not once but twice.
The first time it happened, I pressed the joystick whereupon a pop-up came up saying 'loading, please wait'. So I waited. And waited. And waited... after about 10 minutes I attempted to go 'back', only to find that none of the buttons, including the power-off switch, had any effect at all. Maybe I just pressed the wrong button at the wrong time - but a robust system should not be so vulnerable to a simple mistake. The only remedy was to open the back and remove the batteries, then restart, and wait a further 10 minutes for it to get a fix again. After it re-started, it gave my altitude as 0m - rather a surprise since I was partway up Scafell at the time. After walking on for about 1km, the device indicated that I was still in exactly the same place as when I turned it back on - although I had apparently now ascended to a height of 295m. The trip log revealed that I had travelled 0m at an average speed of 0kph, but had reached a truly impressive maximum speed of 185kph - not bad when trudging through a boggy moorland!
Disturbingly, it also indicated that I was heading south, whereas I was actually going more or less north!
The second time the device locked, it did so without any assistance from me. The pointer just stayed on one place, and no amount of button-pressing (not to mention swearing) had any effect. This time, rather than pulling out the batteries I left it alone, hoping it might sort itself out. However, it remained stubbornly locked till the batteries ran out.
Fortunately the weather was clear and it was easy to find my way by tried and tested methods (ie following the path). I have already learned from experience not to trust this device but after reading so many positive comments in this forum, I thought I should persevere with it.
This is pretty typical of my experiences with it to date and consequently I would not recommend it to anyone.
However, given that quite a few of the postings above compare this system favourably with its competitors, one is left with the sobering thought that some other GPS systems might actually be even worse than this one! Thanks for the encouragement - but I think I will stick with my trusty map and compass. To rely on a system which gives such inaccurate locations and malfunctions so often could get you into a dangerous and potentially life-threatening situation.
Regards
John
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shep,

As I said in my previous post the locking up sounds very reminiscent of early models this has all but been eliminated in later ones,mine never does it.

Have you tried updating the device software via Satsync,there have been many updates ?

This may solve your locking up and other problems.

As for your North/South problem,did you calibrate the compass before you started out ?

If it was a very early model that you ended up with you may need a platform update which I think is only available from Satmap,I think at least you should contact Satmap as they aren't cheap devices and a free warranty repair or update may well solve all your problems.You could at least then sell it as fully working if you still didn't get on with it.

Ian

Last edited by Bosun on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For goodness sake, get on to the Retailer or SatMap direct...THEY WILL HELP. I'm on my fourth year with mine and have been mightyly pleased with it....whenever I've called them about something specific they couldn't be more helpful....I wouls say that they are definitely a customer focused company...not quite perfect, but which company is?
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SatMap is right up there with the very best GPS availabvle - perhaps even the best.
You have a duff one. It is not representative.
SEND IT BACK!!
shep8361
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did as you all suggested, contacted Satmap, who sent out a software upgrade card. This had no effect, so they sent another one which was equally ineffective. Finally they suggested I send it back to them for repair.

They reported that the motherboard was damaged. Although still within the warranty period, I do not have the receipt (because it was a present), and therefore they demanded over £50 to repair it. The returns form does state that all repairs will be charged unless they get the receipt, but this seems a bit harsh: the device is registered in my name, so they must know when I got it.

However, when I explained the situation to their head of tech support, he agreed to waive the charge and carry out the repair for free.

The repaired GPS was returned within the week, but its AA battery holder was missing. I had to wait another week to get this back too before I could finally try out the unit again.

Since getting it back I have only used it once, and I haven't yet used the route planning or trip logging features, but at least it now seems to be working properly for basic navigation, and slightly faster than before. I'll reserve full judgement till I can give it a proper going-over in the field.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: