Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap Active 10 - In depth review now available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap Active 10 - In depth review now available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benoit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I must admit I don't normally leave it stationary until I get a fix, do you think moving at walking pace while turning on the device is enough to disrupt it's fixing process that much? I'll give it a go for a few days anyway, thanks.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benoit wrote:
Ok, I must admit I don't normally leave it stationary until I get a fix, do you think moving at walking pace while turning on the device is enough to disrupt it's fixing process that much? I'll give it a go for a few days anyway, thanks.

Even walking pace will significantly increase the time required for s fix.
mikero
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Active 10 was taking forever to acquire a fix. Even after the initial fix was established, subsequent fixes were still taking an age. I contacted Satmap and was told to return the unit for repair. The repair sheet shows "LTF fitted".
I have not yet had a chance to try it out but I will post the result.
oldplodder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the review. Like a good number of people, I've been thinking about an Activ 10 for a while and trying to compare the relative merits of Garmin/Magellan/Satmap offerings.

Your review tipped me over the edge (toward the Activ 10) - the next big trick was finding someone who had a unit to sell!! As far as availability is concerned, they make hens' teeth look common.

After many,many phone calls I finally tracked one down to a shop in Scotland - fortunately on my route to Skye at the weekend.

Incidentally, one (alleged) stockist told me yesterday that they were not getting any more Activ 10 units in because something similar but (in their words) better and much more robust is promised by Garmin for "sometime after the summer".
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldplodder wrote:
Incidentally, one (alleged) stockist told me yesterday that they were not getting any more Activ 10 units in because something similar but (in their words) better and much more robust is promised by Garmin for "sometime after the summer".

Oh really? Unless Garmin move to OS mapping which is highly unlikely, any device they may release is immediately handicapped in my opinion.
oldplodder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I had finally convinced myself to buy an Activ 10, I didn't ask for any more details. If you haven't heard of any new Garmin product, maybe it was just a bit of wishful thinking by the salesman.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
oldplodder wrote:

Oh really? Unless Garmin move to OS mapping which is highly unlikely, any device they may release is immediately handicapped in my opinion.

Awww....let us dream Laughing

I'd like it to be based around a 60CSx engine, with a Garmin transreflective 3.5" VGA screen, use Memory Map maps from an SD card in a weather-sealed slot, Li-Polymer battery, Barometric altimeter, electronic compass, quadrupole antenna, fully supported by Memory Map software, oh, and a built-in satellite phone too Joker
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: real world performance = Wow!!! Reply with quote

Okay, I've had my fair share of gripes about the A10 when familiarizing myself with it's functions, but I've just got back from a week in Glencoe, and when it really matters, the A10 is awesome.
Using the LiPol and recharging every night, I felt no uneasiness about the battery running out during even long days, and with the exception of one lock-up (which was due to me pressing too many buttons too quickly) the unit performed flawlessly every day.
The precision out on the hill was superb; even at the bottom of steep narrow valleys (e.g. Lost Valley on Bidean nam Bian) it was tracking 10 or 11 satellites and I was pleasantly surprised at how good the track up option was, away from all the metallic objects of modern life!
Despite being pretty handy with a map and compass, I have never felt as at ease in cloud on a narrow ridge as I did this week, with my A10 showing me exactly where I was, and exactly how far away and distant the top/footpath branch/next waypoint on my route was.
Gone are the days when the answer to the question "how far's the top?" was "about half a mile". I was able to tell my walking buddy that the summit of Buachaille Etive Beag was 840m horizontal distance with 70m ascent. He was impressed!!
The 1:25 000 map was brilliant, and my concerns that the auto scale switching while zooming in/out would cause problems turned out to be unfounded. The transition from 1:50 000 to 1:25 000 occurred at just the right point. In fact, the only failing was a human one - I forgot to press the trip log start button at the beginning of one walk!

Scratches on the screen and screen protector aside, this is a perfect tool and I can't wait for the next trip out Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to read such an informative post based upon in field usage, it is a great device. I have also forgotten the start button for track logging on a few occasions, this is too easy to do!
As you obviously have a number of walks recorded would you consider sharing them via the web site? there is a sticky thead in this forum index for that very purpose - Mike
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Nice to read such an informative post based upon in field usage, it is a great device. I have also forgotten the start button for track logging on a few occasions, this is too easy to do!
As you obviously have a number of walks recorded would you consider sharing them via the web site? there is a sticky thead in this forum index for that very purpose - Mike

I lost a couple of track logs when the unit locked up (I'm gutted about losing one of them - it was an epic!) but I've got another 3 stored safely on the A10. I'll have a go at uploading one once I've transfered them to a windows machine (still waiting for SatSync for Mac if you're listening, Satmap...)
dwarfplanetpluto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
oldplodder wrote:

The same thing happened to me when I was trying to locate an Active 10. I think it was a shop somewhere in England I was speaking to.

They said Garmin would release a rugged unit, suitable for moterbike mounting, later in the year. I gathered it would use OS maps, but may have misunderstood. But I'm not interested in fitting it to a motorbike, and the Satmap apparently is superb right now (I'll know more when I get the maps).

I ordered my Active 10 from Navanti on the afternoon of 15-May, and got it on 16-May, complete with a square of Kendal mint cake Cool . At the same time I ordered maps and power bundle from Global Gizmos, but haven't got them yet Sad .

I'll just have to start planning my walks here while waiting: http://maps.the-hug.net/index.php.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious, with all this talk of low stock etc, why not buy direct from Satmap or are the retail prices discounted?
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin do already use OS mapping in their UK Topo map. However it has a curious mixture of detail at various levels. Contour lines and roads are as in OS 1:50k mapping whereas rivers and streams seem to derive from 1:10k mapping (almost showing you every puddle!). The irritating feature is that rights of way start and stop for no apparent reason reducing the appeal to hill walkers.

The Topo disc says 'Enabled by OS' and it is Crown Copyrighted so there clearly exists an agreement between Garmin and OS making new OS mapping software from Garmin a possibility. Or perhaps the salespeople referred to may be hinting at an update of this Topo map rather than to cards like Satmap's.

If were Garmin's CEO I might consider a buyout of Satmap as the easiest option...they would bring in new software and hardware expertise that would truly make the Active 10 a world beater in every respect rather than being a slightly-flawed diamond. [/i]
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physicist wrote:
If were Garmin's CEO I might consider a buyout of Satmap as the easiest option...they would bring in new software and hardware expertise that would truly make the Active 10 a world beater in every respect rather than being a slightly-flawed diamond. [/i]

The problem with that is we don't know whether Garmin share Satmap's passion for excellent UK Ordnance Survey mapping on a handheld GPS unit. They might buy them out then shelve the Active 10 in order to eradicate the competition (although I think we here in the UK are seen as a pretty small niche market by Garmin Global, so they probably wouldn't bother)

That aside, I agree with you that if Garmin and Satmap collaborated on the successor to the Active 10, it would probably be a world-beating device: Just imagine the A10's screen, software and mapping with a Garmin case, quad helix antenna and SiRFstar chipset implementation. Hmmm.
bob1988
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That aside, I agree with you that if Garmin and Satmap collaborated on the successor to the Active 10, it would probably be a world-beating device: Just imagine the A10's screen, software and mapping with a Garmin case, quad helix antenna and SiRFstar chipset implementation. Hmmm.

The Active 10 has a SiRFStar 3 chip, and the case is pretty good, never had a problem with mine. It's not as shiny as some of the Garmins, but feels like stronger plastic.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: