Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap Active 10 - In depth review now available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap Active 10 - In depth review now available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANDYatPGPSW wrote:
... I would have liked to see some comments on using it in a car. How good is the routing in this respect?
As Darren says, the Satmap has no "auto-routing" navigation function. It's designed purely to display a map and show you where you are on it. The only route following function is the option to display a coloured line on the map for you to follow "manually". I have in fact used the Satmap in my car, in that I created a route for test purposes by laying it on the passenger seat and driving about a while. It recorded the route well but if you were thinking of using it as a "SatNav" you should bear in mind that it won't create a road-based route by inputting a destination and telling it to "GoTo" it. You'd have to compose the route in advance and then display it. I should say that, even if you devised a way of mounting the A10 properly on a car dash/fascia, you would be at risk if you tried to read it as you drove. You would have to have the map zoomed in close to have it large enough to read and without the "next turn" instructions that proper car-based SatNav units have you would likely find it tiresome and probably dangerous.
Type23
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Advice wanted on Satmap 10 Reply with quote

Thanks for the comprehensive review. Wanted one as soon as I saw the gadget show but was waiting for your review before committing myself Very Happy Now find that i cannot get hold of one for love nor money Sad Anyone know of retailer who has them in stock ?
Am due to go on walking holiday to IOW late bank holiday in May. I'm a total novice regards walking gps / scale of map etc and been advised that I should forgo the IOW 1:25000 scale map which costs (£99! ouch!) and purchase the full UK map 1:50000 (£175 double ouch!) which represents better value. Looking at Satmaps site it states that you should choose the 1:25000 scale maps for walking, does anyone have an opinion/view on this ?
Do you think a book on using gps is a worthwhile companion or is using one of these devices pretty self explanatory,I consider myself technically savvy Embarassed Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

Rgds

Rich
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have managed with 1:50k but 1:25k would be advised. Take a look at this post for a source of stock and a discount at the moment.

I wouldn't have thought a book was necessary, get the device, play with routes, ask questions and it'll all become clear Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the IOW map at 25K scale for £61 if you use the self centered map option, the IOW is 36KM x21KM so a self centered map sized 30x40 will do the trick, although it will contain a large area of water, I would give them a ring and discuss this as it might be possible to use the 30x30 option which gives you area for £55.
25K is far better for walking, but I use 50K from time to time, the only difference being the level of detail displayed. - Mke
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget...you don't 'pay for water'!
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific review, well up to standard - thanks Darren!

Just one comment: I'm not at all convinced that Satmap's packaging "has clearly been given a lot of thought", at least not by them. It looks identical to the box my XDA Orbit 1 came in, bar the colour. I can't check, because I now have an Orbit 2 (with TT, had far too many routing problems with CPL7 and speed cam support seemed pretty useless), but I'd be willing to bet...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tis the same, I have an XDA that had similar packaging but it's probably a patented design, still nicer then the usual brown box though!
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrGumby wrote:

Just one comment: I'm not at all convinced that Satmap's packaging "has clearly been given a lot of thought", at least not by them.

As mentioned in my review it was made by Burgopak...which makes packaging for all sorts of goodies....but hats off to Satmap for using it even if it is paid for by us in the purchase price.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrGumby wrote:

Just one comment: I'm not at all convinced that Satmap's packaging "has clearly been given a lot of thought", at least not by them. It looks identical to the box my XDA Orbit 1 came in, bar the colour. I can't check, because I now have an Orbit 2 (with TT, had far too many routing problems with CPL7 and speed cam support seemed pretty useless), but I'd be willing to bet...

I don't understand...what's wrong with the packaging ?
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
MrGumby wrote:

I don't understand...what's wrong with the packaging ?

Nothing's wrong with it. In fact it's excellent. It's just that it wasn't Satmap who gave it a lot of thought - whoever designed it for the O2 XDA Orbit did.

One word of caution: the way the box opens is not obvious. The first time I tried, when I eventually got it open the phone popped out and landed on the floor - not a good experience with a brand new phone.
Benoit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do other peoples satellite fix times compare to those quoted in the review? I have had my A10 now for several months, and I'd say 10-20 mins is a more typical time to fix. I had just accepted this, but the review now makes me wonder if I've just got a bit of a dodgy unit. Sometimes it will lock-on pretty much straight away, but it has been known to take up to an hour! (This is with the v. 1.16 update installed, and advanced power saving on.) I also find that turning off advanced power saving reduces the accuracy/hold on a fix under tree cover, which is a nuisance, as I'd like to use the "track up" option which the advanced power saving disables more often. Does anyone else find this?

Also what classifies as a cold and a warm start? I find that if I have a fix and turn the unit off, if I turn it back on again in less than hour, it will get a sat fix almost instantly. If it's off for much more than an hour though, it seems like it has to start from scratch again.

Any info appreciated.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A warm start could be classed as < 1hr between fixes. I've only ever seen TTFF as slow as you describe if I attempt a fix whilst moving though? From a cold start with device stationary and clear sky view I always get a fix within a few minutes at most?
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find it has a fix by the time my boots are on, and that can be after a week with the machine off, and 50 miles between the last fix point and the latest.

Maybe I just tie my boots slowly!
Satsync 1.525
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, I allways power up the device and put it it on the car roof and get changed, the active10 is ready to go by the time I have changed shoes for boots - Mike
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly...car roof as well !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: