Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Software Bug
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Software Bug
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanHibbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: New Software Bug Reply with quote

I went for a short walk today to a nearby village (5 miles round trip) to test a few features.

I created a route to the village and then reversed it for the return leg.

On the outbound leg the remaining distance to go steadily reduced towards the finish down to 26ft (not zero) - no issue, accurate enough, probably me not standing on the exact planned finish spot.

However, when the route was reversed and the return leg started (log reset and re-started), the trip distance travelled steadily increased, but the distance to go to the route end remained at 26ft, with the ETA at the end point showing the current time i.e. the unit believed I had no time or distance to travel for the reversed route.

All other log data/display fields seemed fine (plus the red arrows were correctly reversed on the yellow route display), I believe it's simply a bug - unless there's an option I didn't trigger?

Is anyone (Mike/Darren?) keeping a list of these latest issues for the next software release? If not it would probably be useful to compile a master list as a 'sticky' so we can all see what's been flagged and so not duplicate previous posts.

A pleasant surprise was to find that despite tucking the unit away in it's case, in my sac, within a fleece in the face of a flash downpour, upon taking it out twenty minutes later it had merrily continued to accurately plot my trail with no issues. I had expected it to lose signal lock - is this usual? I was impressed anyway.

Cheers,

Ian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, I will try this on my unit today and see if can produce the same effect, although I am still running version 1,5 on the device as I see little point in changing it for the sake of a single bug which only shows up if you make a selection that makes no sense.

The idea of a sticky for identified bugs is well worth considering, I think this about the first such problem though that could be put in the thread?

As for reception, what you experienced with the unit is what I have become accustomed to, if you let the device get a position fix before moving off it will hold on to the signal without a problem - Mike
IanHibbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, thanks I'll be interested in your findings (I thought the advantage of 1.16 over 1.15 was to cure lock-ups?).

A second item for a 'bug' sticky would be the fact that the unit utilises a user input 'target speed' to calculate ETA's etc. rather than using the 'average moving speed to date' data. This is a strange decision by Satmap as they collect and display the average moving speed data in the trip log - so why not use it?! All other GPS units that I'm aware of use the correct data. A user defined target speed is completely meaningless on say the Cullin Ridge etc! I did mail and speak to Richard about this, so hopefully it's on his list.

Good news re: reception.

Cheers
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1,16 update was to cure a specific problem that caused the device to lock up, this only happened if you selected one of the data boxes to display "Location" - why you would do this is beyond me as you can see your position on the map! - Mike
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nowt so add as folks!

mikealder said:
Quote:
one of the data boxes to display "Location" - why you would do this is beyond me as you can see your position on the map!

I use it........ so that I can quote an accurate grid reference to the rights of way team (or similar) when I find a problem on a walk.
Satsync 1.525
finkployd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Software Bug Reply with quote

Ian,

I too have experienced this reversed route distance problem.

Walk a route one way... no problem. Reverse it and the unit is unable to tell you how far it is until the end. I stopped the forwards route... cleared the data in the log and then reversed the route. I started the trip log and went off on my merry way... The distance to end was locked at the wrong value throught out the return route, although the percent complete did update if I recall correctly.

I thought I'd done summut wrong, but now that you too have experienced it, I'm thinking it is a bug.

Crying or Very sad
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Bug in zooming too far. Reply with quote

I think I may have found another bug. With a 50,000 scale map loaded if I keep on zooming in I get to a point where it stops showing the 50,000 scale and goes back to the road map scale. Seems odd. It as if it is looking for the 25,000 scale and when it does not find it, it goes for the default instead.

This reminds me that several people have pleaded to be able to lock the map scale being viewed to 50,000 or 25,000. I would like to be able to keep the variation now shown as when in planning mode I want to quickly move from one area to another being able to use the large scale is a great help.
Satsync 1.525
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bug in zooming too far. Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
... This reminds me that several people have pleaded to be able to lock the map scale being viewed to 50,000 or 25,000. I would like to be able to keep the variation now shown as when in planning mode I want to quickly move from one area to another - being able to use the large scale is a great help.
I agree with this but I think the point being requested is not so much to be able to lock the scale absolutely, but to be able to define exactly at which degree of zoom the unit switches maps. I find it hangs on to the 1:50,000 picture too long when zooming out - way beyond a usable view - before showing the 1:250,000 view, and then when I zoom in on the 1:250,000 map it switches back too soon. Other people have similar problems zooming between the 1:25,000 and 1;50,000 options.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct !
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didn't Satmap do like Memory Map and have separate zoom and scale functions ?
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it a new bug but I have had five complete lock ups today (battery removal required). I can't work out what is causing it other than it started when I was trying to demonstrate the zoom out feature which should then have shown the road map.

The only thing that I can think it might be is the amount of data in the machine with a half UK 1" mapping with 12 routes on the SD card and 4 on the machine. Maybe it is running short of free memory. Mind you it seemed to work fine with all this yesterday but then I was not trying to zoom and pan much.

Anyone any ideas?
Satsync 1.525
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
Don't know if it a new bug but I have had five complete lock ups today (battery removal required). I can't work out what is causing it other than it started when I was trying to demonstrate the zoom out feature which should then have shown the road map.

The only thing that I can think it might be is the amount of data in the machine with a half UK 1" mapping with 12 routes on the SD card and 4 on the machine. Maybe it is running short of free memory. Mind you it seemed to work fine with all this yesterday but then I was not trying to zoom and pan much. Anyone any ideas?
I've had exactly the same problems and have spoken to Richard C-O at Satmap. It seems they are aware of this and have identified something in the Windows OS which is causing it. A downloadable patch is imminent.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PloddinPedro.

I look forward to the patch but on the assumption that it may not be wise to hold my breath, do you (or anyone else) know what triggers this so that I can try to avoid it in the interim?
Satsync 1.525
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
Thanks PloddinPedro. I look forward to the patch but on the assumption that it may not be wise to hold my breath, do you (or anyone else) know what triggers this so that I can try to avoid it in the interim?
I don't I'm afraid. I thought at first it happened when I tried to hurry the thing along and impatiently pressed buttons again when they didn't work immediately - rather like clicking your mouse in frustration when your desktop grinds along and just tangling the thing up. Usually it's the zooming and panning that seems to trip my A10 up but I have had it happen straight after switch on, when I've been flicking through the pages resetting the data, etc.
AlexPerry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
Quote:
I look forward to the patch but on the assumption that it may not be wise to hold my breath, do you (or anyone else) know what triggers this so that I can try to avoid it in the interim?

I've just had exactly this problem happening and also spoken to Richard at Satmap - the new patch should be available next week
The actual problem is (apparently) CE keeps a reference in memory of every point that you've visited on the map - This includes points on inactive routes! if displayed. It only really shows itself if you use a large map (My 1:50,000 GB South does this) when unit quickly runs out of memory and just hangs.
If you switch off the grey snail trails and don't jump around the map too much then it avoids this problem (a small price if the wait is only a week!)

Alex

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: