Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Why has my TomTom started to display distances in Feet?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Why has my TomTom started to display distances in Feet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MysteryMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Why has my TomTom started to display distances in Feet? Reply with quote

I have a TomTom One v2 and I'm sure it used to display distances in miles and yards, but, now it has taken to display in miles and FEET!

I't caught me out a few times when approaching a junction, see 400 to go and think I have plenty of time only to whizzing past!!

The only option I can see to change would be to go to kilometers and meters.

Anyone any idea why this should have changed or how to get it back to miles and yards?
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that it's the "distance to turn" countdown in the bottom-left corner you are talking about. Do the voice prompts give the distance in feet as well?

I can't get mine to change to feet but are you by any chance using a USA map. I know that across the pond they use feet instead of yards for shorter distances. Just a thought. Confused
Brodit ProClip mount
MysteryMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
I take it that it's the "distance to turn" countdown in the bottom-left corner you are talking about. Do the voice prompts give the distance in feet as well?

I can't get mine to change to feet but are you by any chance using a USA map. I know that across the pond they use feet instead of yards for shorter distances. Just a thought. Confused

Yes, it is and the voice says "In 400 {blank} turn right", which indicates that it doesn't know what to do with the fact that it is dealing in feet!

It wasn't a US map, but, I did upgrade a few things and wonder whether the map was one of those things. Do they do a US version of the UK map?

Maybe I need to scout around for another map to try

Thanks!
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having a search around as you caught my interest. Smile

The US devices do appear to use feet instead of yards according to reviews etc. I would suspect it's more likely that you have updated the operating system (Navcore) to an American version as opposed to a map though.

I really am thinking of the top of my head now so if anyone wants to correct me, go right ahead. Laughing

Could you try changing to one of the English(US) voices to see if they use feet? Though it may be confusing, at least it would be right. Confused

Did you buy an import by any chance that had been loaded up afterwards with UK/EUR software (ebay etc)? It's possible that the device "thinks" it's American and the TomTom server sent through that update.

Do you remember what you updated and do you have a backup of the original files? Possibly a restore of the files in the root folder would get it working again (Make a Windows Explorer backup of the whole device before doing ANYTHING else though).
Brodit ProClip mount
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Why has my TomTom started to display distances in Feet? Reply with quote

MysteryMan wrote:
I have a TomTom One v2 and I'm sure it used to display distances in miles and yards, but, now it has taken to display in miles and FEET!

Looking back to last December, this looks a bit like your second "innocent" mistake. I can't think of any way you would have "upgraded a few things" to get this US version performance, except trying to do something which is not allowed. On this forum, we are opposed to piracy, which, frankly, seems to be the cause of your problem. Could you please reassure us or otherwise, by saying just what and how you "upgraded"?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...

The plot perhaps thickens....

December....?

For a self-certified forgetful old geezer ( Wink ) you sure have a hell of a memory Dennis...

Remind me never to hope you forget something...

Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
Remind me never to hope you forget something

I haven't.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
shadamehr wrote:
Remind me never to hope you forget something

I haven't.

We know - we meant except THAT.

Sooner that's forgot the better.

Smile Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: