Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Noobie Help Please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Noobie Help Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reefman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Noobie Help Please Reply with quote

Having got soem good advice already on here I made my choice and have just taken delivery of my GO 520. I've been reading up as much as i can and have made a backup of the software onto my PC (not using Home - I dont know if I dare use this from what I've been reading)
Anyway I've go two questions, well at least for now

I assume my back up is only the operating system and not maps as the total of all the folders and files copied over only amounted too 12.5 Mb this seems low or have I missed something - I did have hidden files shown etc.

Secondly - My version is 7.020, do I update this or not again a little concerned over what Ive read on here about the latest release - also how do I find out what the Map version is ? If I do update I guess I need to use Home

thanks in anticipation
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow FAQ #1 from This Page, your backup should be considerably larger than 12MB.

As for updates, you will have to connect to TomTom Home for any Map updates, what map version is actually on the device because if it is allready upto date this step can be missed out. DO NOT CONNECT TO HOME UNTIL YOU HAVE THE BACK UP IN PLACE - Mike
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi reefman, i suppose it's a matter of choice but it seems most people are prefering to stay with app 7.2.2.1 at the moment and not going for 7.4.8.1
so you may want to get 7.2.2.1.
As for finding your map version, tap the bottom right of your screen and you will see the app version appear in a little box, tap that and now you will see a screen with device & app info and also what version of maps is installed.
I too have noticed that the back up on my 720 as compared to my 910 is so much quicker making me think that all it backs up is the system files and not the maps. Haven't checked the size.
Yesterday i took my 910 right off of my system and next time i used home and backed up the 720 it actually took a fair bit longer.
reefman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - My mistake all I'd done to get the total was the include files in root directory of Tomtom not the subs although they had been copied - actual total is about 360 Mb Edit I think what made me think it had copied much data was its speed but then as USB drive I gues it will be a lot quicker than backing up using Home

Cheers Les - Maps vesion is 705.1480 - how do I get 7.2.2.1 won't home just update to the latest 7.4.8.1

Guess I'll be back with more as I play - thanks

Edit Just installed the Home CD and its offering me an update to Home 2.2 again so I gues I should take this - still not connected the TT to the PC though

Last edited by reefman on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reefman wrote:

Cheers Les - Maps vesion is 705.1480 - how do I get 7.2.2.1 won't home just update to the latest 7.4.8.1

Guess I'll be back with more as I play - thanks

You are mistaking the version number of your unit's software with the version number of the map installed. Easy to do, since TT has this silly numbering system.

To see the version number of the firmware installed on your unit, tap the satellite bars. The next screen shows that information. Now, tap the screen one more time and you'll see the information about which map and version number you have installed.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install TomTom Home and let it update the map as you should be running a v715 map on that device (v715 is currently the latest for the 520).

As for the application update, you can let it update to 7,481 if you want to or simply ignore this for the time being, the new release is stable and will work. It is certain functionality such as the Traffic related displays that have caused so much hassle.

If you don't get the automatic map update for the device give TomTom a ring on Monday (0845 161 0009) but be prepared to send proof of purchase to them. Or delay doing this a week or two as the map guarantee is for 28 days - Mike
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reefman, if you look through this site you can link to oldboys website, he is a valuable assett when it comes to firmare apps for devices.
I am sure you will find app 7.2.2.1 on there.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: