Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PRESS RELEASE: TomTom Launches Navigator 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PRESS RELEASE: TomTom Launches Navigator 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No TeleAtlas product will currently, I'm not sure about NavTech.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
The only truth in it is that companies have to develop their application alongside the maps. By the end of the development cycle they may be several months out of date by the time it starts shipping, but this is going to happen with every single company out there! They could put the new maps in (if they have newer maps) but if they didn't test it, then you could find the application not working at all and being extremely buggy, and I'm sure you'd complain about that ?
That sounds quite familiar in another frum not too far away Crying or Very sad !

Doesn't Destinator use Navtech?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just checked D3 (not latest roundabout fixed version) it doesn't support M6 toll road either, which suggests that no GPS company will be supporting it in NavTech or TeleAtlas maps.
Leeus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyways the M6 toll did not open till end of November 2003 anyway!

So its no way going to be in oct 2003 data!! :D
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: M6 Toll issue Reply with quote

If we created a POI with the junctions on and in TTN3, which allows you to create an itineray (sic), then you could get a rough time line and direction, but not the M6 Toll road.

Do we think that this may work?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't work because you'll be trying to route yourself off onto other roads or roads that aren't there. You could use it as a visual to see where the M6 toll road goes but not for navigation.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pressed this point hard with TomTom. They explained that it was the map data providers (in their case TeleAtlas) who do not have the data available and so denied responsibility and we had to explain that whilst this may be the case, endusers don't always see the seperation and it will be TomTom who get the flack for this.

Neither TeleAtlas not Navtech have M6 Toll Road Data in their latest map release, they insist in 'driving' the road rather than getting an advance by using the planning data prior to reoad completion and so with a 6-8mth lead time on the release of the data to software companies and an average 6mth lead time on release of a new or updated product incorporating the new data it will be at least 12 months from the opening of the M6 Toll before we see it on our maps Sad
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, we should be looking at a minimum of 12 months, possibly even up to 18 months before companies get it (depending on when their software releases are and when the geodata gets out to them).

People could wait to say TTN4, and boycott it, but when you purchase TTN4, there are also going to be other roads that aren't in there either so it's a catch 22 situation. Street Routing applications are always going to have maps a good 12-18 months out of date, there's absolutely nothing that can be done about this apart from going back to paper maps, and you'll find due to printing costs and times that most maps are also out by similar timescales.
anglefire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leeus wrote:
Anyways the M6 toll did not open till end of November 2003 anyway!

So its no way going to be in oct 2003 data!! :D

Umm, but the thing took 2 years to build, with a predetermined opening date - so its not as if they didn't know where it was going to be. Its not just the toll it self that matters either, lots of the surrounding roads have been re-routed, M42 northbound is 100yrds or so farther west in places not to mention the A roads etc.

No I think is poor that its not on the current release of map data.

Website

The answer is 42. Now what is the question?
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what has been said about the M6 Toll and feel that a bit of forward planning by TeleAtlas would have been the answer.

There is another side to this coin , however, in that TT allows a user to select Shortest or Quickest route but I can well imagine someone complaining about being taken on the M6 Toll because while shorter and quicker is is also MORE EXPENSIVE. This then raises the issue of whether TT should compute travel COST as well as distance or time. This would lead on to a more detailed analysis of roads and the need to define different MPG for different road types and for different vehicles.

Maybe next time....

Roy
Fletch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy,

valid point, However i live two minuets from T6 of this Toll road ( knocks 30mins of a journey in to the centre of Birmingham for me and is , if im in a rush, worth the 2 squid) But all of the surrounding roads have been changed there are new islands where before there wasn't, roads have been changed closed blocked etc and the area in general has completely changed this goes through out the 27 miles of this new road, teleatlas should pull there finger out and get these maps updated, I live in a road that has been here for 15 years its still marked on there data as unknown and the access to the road is incorrect!! Crying or Very sad

Fletch
[/list][/code][/quote]
Fletch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minutes in time

NOT

Minuets a stately dance

Fletch
BrianA
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Neither TeleAtlas not Navtech have M6 Toll Road Data in their latest map release, they insist in 'driving' the road rather than getting an advance by using the planning data prior to reoad completion and so with a 6-8mth lead time on the release of the data to software companies and an average 6mth lead time on release of a new or updated product incorporating the new data it will be at least 12 months from the opening of the M6 Toll before we see it on our maps Sad

What I can't understand is why Tomtom need to have the new map data for 6 months before release. I can't believe they have to tweak the software for each new road / junction etc - there must be generic routines to take care of that. 2 or 3 weeks for QC checking before RTM should be all they need.

On a different point, the total lack of any feedback at all from TT or Navtech when new roads, errors etc are reported makes cynical old me wonder if any notice is taken of the reports at all ...

Go 520 + Navcore 8
(was a happy PDA user until TT stopped updating the software)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyC wrote:
I agree with what has been said about the M6 Toll and feel that a bit of forward planning by TeleAtlas would have been the answer.

I agree, both NavTech and TeleAtlas should have taken initiative and done forward planning. The problem is I suspect they can't release the data until the roads are fully complete, and it maybe that they have already mapped it but there's an oversight and it hasn't been release for whatever reason.
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know if the A43 Silverstone bypass is in?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: