Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HD Traffic 'v' GPRS Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HD Traffic 'v' GPRS Traffic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: HD Traffic 'v' GPRS Traffic Reply with quote

Having watched the video below, I have to ask if technically why we need the HD hardware. If I'm not mistaken TomTom will be collecting traffic data from their existing sources and combining this with the new data from Vodafone. HD Traffic users will still collect this data from TomTom, vodafone are only being used to provide the traffic data and as a preferred GPRS provider. If my logic is correct why can't existing GPRS traffic users subscribe/benefit from the HD data without having to buy the hardware?

If there is a dependency on the HD hardware what extra functionallity does it offer, up and above a standard 3G phone, is it providing TomTom/Vodafone with additional data.

I suspect its a way to force customers to buy new hardware, and at the same time reduce TomTom support costs as they no longer have to support 100's of different phone handsets?

http://www.vimeo.com/649472
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it's a source of revenue and as you say reducing the support costs for hardware.

My mobile uses a company SIM and does not have GPRS/3G enabled although the phone is 3G. If I need data access for my laptop I can request a PC data card. So for GPRS traffic I need to use a PAYG SIM in another handset. So the new TomTom HD traffic will be an improvement for me but maybe not most.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thought - can vodafone track all their mobiles legally and also work out which are in cars or are they using the HD device to track those legally (GPS supplies location to GPRS device) knowing that the TT unit could be in a car.

If you break down on a motorway will the HD system assume that you are in a traffic jam Confused
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are (legally) able to track you so long as they don't release any identifiable data about you/the phone etc. So they will provide anonymised information. What it will be (I guess) is along the lines - 90% of our phones "on" the M6 northbound near Jn 19 are travelling at 60mph. That sort of thing. Tracking large numbers of phones should allow them to have a statisically representative sample that will accomodate people turning them off, stopping for a coffee etc. If 90% suddenly stop then you can be fairly certain that there is a problem somewhere. What I am less certain about is can they distinguish between motorways and major roads very near to motorways (these exist) as the cell phone locating is only to about 100mtrs I think.

It's just another data source for the TMC information.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If our phones are providing a service why are they not paying US for the privilege.

Or will Vodaphone insert a clause into their phone/sim contracts saying that they always maintain ownership of the units.

Is this data just collected from people with a sat nav and HD traffic set up or from anybody with a vodaphone mobile?
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO-GO-910 wrote:

Is this data just collected from people with a sat nav and HD traffic set up or from anybody with a vodaphone mobile?

From my (limited) understanding of this it is from anyone with a mobile.

Andy
Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: HD Traffic 'v' GPRS Traffic Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
Having watched the video below, I have to ask if technically why we need the HD hardware. If I'm not mistaken TomTom will be collecting traffic data from their existing sources and combining this with the new data from Vodafone. HD Traffic users will still collect this data from TomTom, vodafone are only being used to provide the traffic data and as a preferred GPRS provider. If my logic is correct why can't existing GPRS traffic users subscribe/benefit from the HD data without having to buy the hardware?

If there is a dependency on the HD hardware what extra functionallity does it offer, up and above a standard 3G phone, is it providing TomTom/Vodafone with additional data.

I suspect its a way to force customers to buy new hardware, and at the same time reduce TomTom support costs as they no longer have to support 100's of different phone handsets?

http://www.vimeo.com/649472

I've been thinking the same thing - technically it's just another data source and would be very easy to integrate with the current GPRS access. In fact it was probably more work separating the two out as I imagine they've had to set up new servers, etc. Commercially they will make more money this way by lowering support overheads and adding a few targeted mobile connections for Vodafone to track/report (I also presume they are using the Vodafone network).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: